Sponsored by:

New track car choices...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:37 AM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z-man
Another question: anyone here track a 996 Carrera post motor failure? In other words: do you track a a non-turbo, non-GT2/3 996 whose motor has been 'fixed?' after it spun the #2 (?) rod bearing? If so, what are the proper fixes, and how well has the car been holding up since the fix?

Thanks,
-Z
My interwb experience is that 944s suffer #2 rod bearing failures and can be rebuilt (assuming no hole through the block) . It seems most M96 motors simply explode

You could run a 968 motor in your S2, that would give you 30+ more hp.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:08 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
Another question: anyone here track a 996 Carrera post motor failure? In other words: do you track a a non-turbo, non-GT2/3 996 whose motor has been 'fixed?' after it spun the #2 (?) rod bearing? If so, what are the proper fixes, and how well has the car been holding up since the fix?

Thanks,
-Z
I think most M96 failures are either intermediate shaft (IMS) or cylinder wall failures, both of which are typically considered catastrophic and require a new engine.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:17 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
T

it still the best trackcar platform. Period. I had no issues with PS in the last year and a half. The oiling issues atre sorted with OEM fixes like the X51 oil pan and most importantly using the right oil level. As a racecar is as reliable as any other Prosche bar a Cup Car. Mine ven survived the 4 Sebring races earlier this year.
I just wished Porsche did a Cayman Cup Car. Yes there are two private series now, but will need to get a newer car for that so not worth it for me to spend all that $ in converting my perfectly setup car.

However, a racecar is a racecar and there's a lot of maintenance $ that needs to be done if you want to avoid dissapointing DNFs. (On a track car you mostly wait for things to wear off or break, on a racecar my view is that it always has to be 100%)

BTW, the Cayman will get some rest this year..... Got a new toy
yes, a race car is a race car.
my stripper is either racing, sitting in trailer waiting for the mechanic or at the mechanic. nothing broken, but i like to time out parts. i would go ape sh*t if my car fails on track
Old 03-22-2011, 11:21 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

not sure if it was here yet - a mid-west version of M3:

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...bmw-m3-pickup/
Old 03-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by racer
My interwb experience is that 944s suffer #2 rod bearing failures and can be rebuilt (assuming no hole through the block) . It seems most M96 motors simply explode
Sometimes, not very often, the oil light flicker is followed by rod bearing failure on a 996, though most often it is followed by a 'boom'

You could run a 968 motor in your S2, that would give you 30+ more hp.
So the 968 motor buys me a couple of years - thus my motor will only be ~17 years old, while the rest of the car is still over 20.

Oh - and my main purpose for replacement is getting something newer, not necessarily faster or with more power. However, these days there aren't too many cars out there under 250hp!

-Z
Old 03-22-2011, 11:42 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Will you missed the $43k GT3. A local bought it and it's in my wrench's garage now. He also bought the 10k mile GT3 motor off E-Bay for $10k. Now that was a steal....
Old 03-22-2011, 11:53 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,315 Likes on 1,958 Posts

^^^^ See Z-man, the deals on the GT3 are out there and come up more frequently than you would think.... but you have to be ready for quick inspection and cash in hand.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Pete
^^^^ See Z-man, the deals on the GT3 are out there and come up more frequently than you would think.... but you have to be ready for quick inspection and cash in hand.
Understood --

Hey mister -- can you spare a dime?!?

-Z
Old 03-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Will you missed the $43k GT3. A local bought it and it's in my wrench's garage now. He also bought the 10k mile GT3 motor off E-Bay for $10k. Now that was a steal....
Who? New GT2 class car?

Cheers,
Old 03-23-2011, 01:59 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Krokodil
Who? New GT2 class car?

Cheers,
New guy not yet POC licensed. It damn sure won't be in GT3....
Old 03-23-2011, 02:53 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

10k GT3 motor for $10k !!!!????? wtf....Do you realise that's a dollar per k ?

Seriously that's crazy cheap isn't it?
Old 03-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I have two concerns about 'cheap' GT3's:

- The cheap ones are typically ridden hard and put away wet.
- The cheap ones typically have high miles on them - which is not a major concern, except when it comes to scheduled maintenance and the higher costs associated with GT3 upkeep.

So - a question to the Rennlist track junkies: what is better: a decent, low mileage (under 40k) Cayman S with some track upgrades, or a GT3 that has been ridden like a rented mule?

Keep in mind that my main reason for upgrading is to have a more reliable and modern car to play with. Being the fastest one out there, or keeping up with the top drovers in my run group is NOT my primary concern. One thing I did notice is that there aren't too many Cayman's running around in the Instructor groups -- then again, in the NE, the mantra is "Go CUP CAR, or Go HOME!"

-Z-man.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:26 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Avoid a GT3, I had 2 of them, they were very expensive to maintain. One was brand new, the other a 18,000 miles car with 3,000 track miles or so. My Fiat has been so much cheaper to maintain.

GT3 are great cars but maintenance is expensive (still affordable maintenance compared to other cars). $40k is the least of your concerns as entry price, it's maintenance and consumables that are going to take a good chunk of cash: brake rotors, brake pads, tires (it eats rear ones in no-time), LSD, oil changes, front spoiler lips, clutch.

Avoid the 08 or older Cayman S for the reasons mentioned everywhere, yes there are fixes, but why pay for fixes that are already fixed in the 09+ Cayman S, plus you get a nice warranty up to 6 years and 100,000 miles if you shop properly.

Go with 09+ Cayman S. If you don't find one with LSD, you can put a guard LSD (much better). Find one with PASM, no changes needed other than alignment and good brake fluid. Run NT-01 or another affordable DOT-r tire that can be used on the streets. Keep it street legal, enjoy a nice road car. It is a nice autocross car too.

I went to 2 track days on Hoosiers with my Cayman and bone stock brake pads (castrol SRF fluid), brake pads look same as new. On a GT3 I would have used 30%-40% of the brake pads at the same track.

Quick Reply: New track car choices...