Sponsored by:

New track car choices...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:26 AM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
No contest, GT3 by a wide margin. Almost indestructable motor and trans and they already have all the suspension parts you'd be adding to a 996 or Cayman. Just strip them to your liking, add your cage, Guard diff clutches, and you're ready to rumble. Lighter is better of course, but they're an incredible platform right out of the box. I love the look of a properly setup Cayman and would like to race on someday but for similar monies the GT3 is miles ahead of the game.....
Even though I race a Cayman S, I (mostly) agree with JR on this. However, it depends on what you like and how you enjoy the hobby. If you enjoy running something a bit unique and have the patience to work out issues then go with Cayman. If not, go with the 996GT3.

I beleive the 6GT3 will be "the" club race car in just a few years, but it will not be cheap as I supect prices will hold and engine/trans rebuilds will only get more expensive. Constrast this with the Cayman where availability and the "perceived" reliability issues are so prevalent that the donor/build/reb-build costs are likely to come down.

JR is right about the cost of adding race-oriented suspension to the Cayman, but other than the control arms and sway most of the same changes are also likley on the 6GT3. In fact I would argue that most club racers will change out the 6GT3 street control arms (and other suspension parts) for parts with monoballs, equalizing the suspension cost between the two cars. Of course the OP could leave the 6GT3 alone, but most wont.

Reliability issues on the Cayman are really limted to the engine, but it can be made into a proper race engine. There are outside-in changes that improve reliability - AOS, deep sump, scavenge pumps, oil de-aeration improvements (996 swirl pots), accusump - and inside-out changes wich seem to solve the problem. The inside out changes - crank mods, race rods - do require a rebuild, but this is not over the top expensive on a good core.

There are folks that have issues with the trans, but I have tracked mine for 4 years - club racing for 2.5 years - without significant issue (it is finally wearing a bit).

Here is a photo of the car:

Old 03-17-2011, 11:55 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

'996 gt3 can be had for a song' -
http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...les&sf2Dir=ASC

Cheapest one is $57K, top is $72K. Average is firm at $65K.
that got to be one nice song - $65K purchase + taxes/fees. but, well, if $70K budget is same amount of money as $40K budget - i guess, why not. I went with $40K initial buy budget restriction, got 997 C2 for that money, then slowly spent about of $15K total on all current performance mods and will be pretty happy with a result for a while.

Imho if one wants to spend $70K on a dedicated track car - why not to buy a cup car from the beginning and skip GT3 step?
Old 03-17-2011, 12:03 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,315 Likes on 1,958 Posts

I think the OP has no intention of racing W2W and wants a track car he can drive on the street. Rebuilt this and that doesn't sound like what he is interested in. OP also said he didn't want to wrench his own car, but maintanence on the 6GT3 is fairly easy with removal of rotors, fluid changes being very easy DIY. The engines on the GT3 are very strong. Only the LSD needs to be aftermarket

Consumables on a 6GT3 will be more than his current 944, but are managable. Z06 rotors will be cheaper, but the tires are bigger than on the GT3 and are more expensive so it equals out in the end.

The Z06 needs aftermarket brakes. The 6 padlets that come with the car are simply inadequate for the speed it is capable of. Stoptechs seem to be the answer.

Friend of mine owns a 6GT3 and C6 Z06 and says that the Z06 NEEDS a race seat for the track. He doesn't have one and is literally driving with one hand as he slides around.

The 6GT3 needs GT3 seats as that is the first thing I changed because I was sliding with the OEM ones. After that it's a matter of preference, but the car is so good out of the box.

Zman - I would recommend visiting the 996 GT3 forum to become familiar with the car. A couple examples of RL cars were in the $45k range last summer. Prices seem to have firmed up a bit and fire sales seem to be more rare, but still a heck of a car
Old 03-17-2011, 02:19 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Up here in the Frozen Banana Republic there appears to be more 997 GT3s than 996 GT3s on the market (not just this year but it also appeared to be the case last year as well). Was this because more 997s were brought into the country or is it because 996 GT3 owners are happy and do not want to part with their toys. I still dream of picking up a GT3 but presently my planets are not aligned and life with my 993C2 is still better than my life with no Porsche.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

996 GT3 if you must drive it on the street.
996 Cup if you can manage to trail it.

If a Cup car is out of the question. Whatever you do, don't try one. The Porsche Kool-Aid you drank before is the light stuff compared to the Cup version..
Old 03-17-2011, 02:42 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously, rent a radical for a day. It will be all over.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:28 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z-man

The Use: would be DE's and some AX. Streetable, though I won't be driving it much on the street.

Why upgrade? My 944 is 20 years old, and I've hit the law of diminishing returns -- as someone once told me, "If you want to track an old car, you need to be your mechanic to make it financially feasable." I'm not a mechanic, though I did play one on TV.

For the cost of any of these choices you could bulletproof your S2 **and** add power with a supercharger, and leave plenty of change in the kitty. Just because the car is 20 years old, doesn't mean the running gear is any the worse for wear. (Given your track addiction and servicing)
Old 03-17-2011, 05:13 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc
If you don't mind replacing head gaskets at every oil change!
Nah, I said 'properly' built.

In truth it can be done but I can sense the OP wants a new platform. Having ridden in a well sorted 996 gt3 that's what I'd suggest and they're so cheap in the US it's a no brainer.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by mglobe
Spec996 FTW!
Yeah! FOR THE WIN! Oh wait -- this is DE -- there are no winners (or losers) in DE's!

Originally Posted by JerryW
Just because the car is 20 years old, doesn't mean the running gear is any the worse for wear. (Given your track addiction and servicing)
I am not convinced of that given what I've already had to get done with the car. And I really don't need a blower on my S2 -- I can't imagine the additional maintenance that would require...

Originally Posted by Pete
I think the OP has no intention of racing W2W and wants a track car he can drive on the street. Rebuilt this and that doesn't sound like what he is interested in. OP also said he didn't want to wrench his own car, but maintanence on the 6GT3 is fairly easy with removal of rotors, fluid changes being very easy DIY. The engines on the GT3 are very strong. Only the LSD needs to be aftermarket
I should clarify -- I've done rotors, pads..etc. It is the bigger stuff like head gaskets, timing belt, H2O pump that I'd rather let the pros do!

Thanks,
-Z
Old 03-17-2011, 06:49 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

$40k doesn't buy a clean 996 GT3, not now and doubtfully not in 2 years. From your list this is my favorite by far, but maintenance is plenty higher than anything else you mentioned.

I have a 07 Cayman S as my daily driver, being driving it for over 2 years. Decent autoX car, boring at a racetrack, I have over 100 pages of repair bills done under warranty, car has probably 4 track days in its entire life, and breaks quite often, I'm on the 2nd engine, 4th power steering pump, 2nd clutch, the list goes on.

You should consider the 09+ Cayman S, and much more reliable car than the -08 Cayman/Boxster, nice stereo with bluetooth/navi/ipod link, the 9A1 engine is holding well, just 50Hp less than a 996 GT3 at the wheels, and they now have optional or aftermarket Limited Slip Diff (mine doesn't have one). This car is closer to your budget. The 09+ has a cooler for the ps fluid, it has been running well in GrandAm and the Cayman Interseries.

Z06 fast and boring, unless you get the 2006 and newer (c6), which is faster and sounds nice, but they are all disconnected from the driver (unless you heavily modify the suspension, steering rack, seats, brakes, etc).
Old 03-17-2011, 11:10 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

For what it's worth, I have a friend who is a Corvette fanatic, and he has been trying pretty hard to get me to trade up from my 924S to a C5 Z06. At first, I didn't really believe him, but lately I've been starting to come around to the idea. I've ridden in a C5Z on a track, and it is a very fast car (in my opinion, at least...it didn't hurt that the driver was a veteran racer).

With the current market for C5's ($18-25k seems to buy a good condition car), a $40k budget would leave plenty of money to fix the Z06's shortcomings (brakes and seats) and get some nice add-ons (sticky tires, coilovers).
Old 03-18-2011, 12:39 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by white924s
With the current market for C5's ($18-25k seems to buy a good condition car), a $40k budget would leave plenty of money to fix the Z06's shortcomings (brakes and seats) and get some nice add-ons (sticky tires, coilovers).
In my neck of the woods, a C5 Z06 goes for a lot more than $18-25k... A base C5 - under $20k, IIRC.

-Z
Old 03-18-2011, 12:44 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
'996 gt3 can be had for a song' -
http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...les&sf2Dir=ASC

Cheapest one is $57K, top is $72K. Average is firm at $65K.
that got to be one nice song - $65K purchase + taxes/fees. but, well, if $70K budget is same amount of money as $40K budget - i guess, why not. I went with $40K initial buy budget restriction, got 997 C2 for that money, then slowly spent about of $15K total on all current performance mods and will be pretty happy with a result for a while.

Imho if one wants to spend $70K on a dedicated track car - why not to buy a cup car from the beginning and skip GT3 step?
your ref is off.
get your money on the table, i have cars up to wazoo.
just had a friend buy a cherry 2 owner car 15000 miles 55k and this car is CLEAN.

and if you bought last year, it would be 10k cheaper.

also, VA122's car is about 20k too cheap.

smart one's buy my car. oh, soon, there will be a very happy post as another nut will b driving ex mooty car.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:47 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by NJ-GT

I have a 07 Cayman S as my daily driver, being driving it for over 2 years. Decent autoX car, boring at a racetrack, I have over 100 pages of repair bills done under warranty, car has probably 4 track days in its entire life, and breaks quite often, I'm on the 2nd engine, 4th power steering pump, 2nd clutch, the list goes on.
you too? we must be from the same rough driving school. carlos is doing better.

You should consider the 09+ Cayman S, and much more reliable car than the -08 Cayman/Boxster, nice stereo with bluetooth/navi/ipod link, the 9A1 engine is holding well, just 50Hp less than a 996 GT3 at the wheels, and they now have optional or aftermarket Limited Slip Diff (mine doesn't have one). This car is closer to your budget. The 09+ has a cooler for the ps fluid, it has been running well in GrandAm and the Cayman Interseries. .
i likey

Z06 fast and boring, unless you get the 2006 and newer (c6), which is faster and sounds nice, but they are all disconnected from the driver (unless you heavily modify the suspension, steering rack, seats, brakes, etc).
never driven one. but a good drive can be fast in one.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:48 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by va122
Seriously, rent a radical for a day. It will be all over.
if only radical looked like a street car, then i can hide it from wife. it appears to me i can't drive it to work in SF financial district. does your have front lift kit? i need to get it through to north of mkt.

Quick Reply: New track car choices...