Sponsored by:

New track car choices...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New track car choices...

** Warning: as with my 944 suspension upgrade, and my new kitchen upgrade, this is going to take some time... **
** I may still be asking for input on this in a couple of years! **

So -- it is time to start researching a track car to replace my 944S2. I've been droving it on the track for about 10 years now, and I think it is time to move on.

The Use: would be DE's and some AX. Streetable, though I won't be driving it much on the street.

Why upgrade? My 944 is 20 years old, and I've hit the law of diminishing returns -- as someone once told me, "If you want to track an old car, you need to be your mechanic to make it financially feasable." I'm not a mechanic, though I did play one on TV.

The drover: Been AX'ing and DE'ing since 2000, PCA and NASA DE/HPDE instructor, prefer a car that is balanced slightly towards oversteer. I'm not a very agressive driver, but this is difficult to gauge these days, with all the cups and GT3's and turbos whizzing by on the track, vs. my lowly 208hp '44.

Budget: probably look at something under $40k, but am willing to go higher (but will need help convinging Mrs. Z-man to expand the budget!! )

So, here is what I've been considering:
Top choice: used Cayman S.
2nd choice: 996 GT3
3rd choice: 996 TT
4th choice: 996 Carrera, 986 Boxster
5th choice: non-Porsche car (Z06 Vette, Mustang Cobra, M3, STi)

Upgrade plans for the car would be: rollbar/race seats/harnesses/fire supression system inside, R-compounds, and suspension upgrades as needed. I would like the car to still be streetable, but the likelyhood of driving it a lot on the street is next to nill.

Cayman S - seems most similar in terms of balance as my 944S2 is, albiet with 120 more hp, 20 years newer technology and suspension, and a low polar moment of inertia. Biggest issue is that the RMS issues which have haunted the 986/987/996/997 line. I understand there are some suspension upgrades that are necessary to make this car zing on the track, but a full suspension re-do is not completely necessary. I think I can have a ton of fun with this car. What suspension upgrades are a must for a trackable Cayman S?

996 GT3 - THE car to get for DE/HPDE's these days. Globs of power, great suspension right out of the box, dry sump lubrication, and none of the RMS issues of the 996 line. While I am more used to a front engined car, I am sure I can get used to the heavy tail of a 996 in short order! The alignment needs to be tuned properly for the track, and that some suspension bits and pieces should be upgraded to make this happen, but that's about it. But the entry fee for the GT3 compared to a Cayman S is big - most likely $20k more to start.

So -- what is your opinion on these cars? I know many of you will say "Get a 964 or 993." Too old. I don't want to have to deal with nagging issues a 20 year old car has. 968? Nice car, but with newer technology, I can get more bang for the buck + hp in the long run with a 987S. Others may say get a base 996 Carrera. RMS issues scare me. Boxster? I prefer sheet metal over my head on the track.

Any input appreciated!
-Z-nan.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:40 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

i would say - it all depends of your available budget to repair/replace blown motor. GT3 motor and M96 motor are not exactly in same price bracket.
For my family new GT3 engine would mean a very serious disaster. to replace M96 is bad but manageable to some degree so, alas, - i simply tell myself how cool is it to have fun with 997 M96 based car.
crocks are fun but folks seem to go over more technical issues with them than with 996/997 cars. M96 motor with upgraded IMS bearing (ln engineering) is a pretty good reasonably reliable motor, as i think.

with p-cars it is same deal as with any domestic muscle cars - just buy as much motor as you can afford to replace at any moment of time and have fun.

PS. for SССA AX car of choice is 996 gt3.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Bang for the buck - z06 vette.

Otherwise, stick to a GT1 based car - 996 gt3 or turbo. Though the GT3 is a better fit for the track.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:48 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
** Warning: as with my 944 suspension upgrade, and my new kitchen upgrade, this is going to take some time... **
** I may still be asking for input on this in a couple of years! **

So -- it is time to start researching a track car to replace my 944S2. I've been droving it on the track for about 10 years now, and I think it is time to move on.

The Use: would be DE's and some AX. Streetable, though I won't be driving it much on the street....

Any input appreciated!
-Z-man.
Cayman S!
Boxster with a Roof and I like the boxsters at the track. You might be able to get boxster S and hardtop for a similar price so that is a good deal too.

I figure you are at 208 hp now and need some around of 250-300 hp to have it feel like an upgrade. So the boxsterS/cayman S are in that range. There is also a 996 too, but not sure how much more they cost in track worhy conditions. It seems like year for year the mid-engine cars are cheaper.

GT3 is nice, but do you really want that much cash tied up in a track car? I think it would better to get a newer more powerfull track car than you have and pocket the extra money. What will 25-30k get you these days? Probably a nice street car you can track.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

IMHO, the motor in a GT3 is much better than in a M96 car. If you do a decent number of days and plan on keeping this car long term, go GT3.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:01 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
IMHO, the motor in a GT3 is much better than in a M96 car. If you do a decent number of days and plan on keeping this car long term, go GT3.
one can replace M96 3 (or may be even 4 - my mechanic swears he can find a replacement M96 for $9K total with labor) times for the price of one single GT3 motor replace. what matters for me is how large a single big expense will get. $40K plus out of the pocket at once is not nearly as bad as $10K out 4 times. And I do not believe really one GT3 motors lives as long as 4 M96 motors live consequently.
Probably none of that matters to people who have enough non-tied dough on savings accounts so they could afford not to think about any of that but my hobby is on a strict budget.

anyway, what of it is true and to what degree I cannot say obviously, until I will be forced to go over this process myself.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:15 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last summer I mentioned to someone that I was thinking of turning my 993C2 into more of a track car and his advice was "Don't do it". His logic was that the normal 996s are cheaper and that there are still tons of them on the market. Nobody wants to trash their 996, but if they do, replacing it would be cheaper than some of the other options out there. Now I still lust for the power of a GT3, but replacing one should it be damaged in anyway would hurt more than a normal 996. Of course this all depends on someone's budget. People who have bigger bank accounts can afford more expensive toys.

Oh I am still relatively new to this game (have so much more still to learn), but all I know at the track is rear engine Porsches. I did get to ride along as a passenger in a Vette last summer at the track and even as I passenger I could tell it was a totally different feel (not sure how much I would need to go back to "Go" and start over if I was to get a Vette). But since the OP has front engine experience, a Vette should also be considered. Hard to beat their bang for the buck when it comes to performance versus costs. But I consume the Porsche Kool Aid, not the Corvette Kool Aid, so it would be difficult to change.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:19 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You can buy a bran new M96xxx motor for the cost of a rebuild on the GT3 motor... worth keeping in mind.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

There is a reason is my best buddy, he and I agree a lot. GT3 all the way
Old 03-15-2011, 04:13 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Just throw $50k at this and be done with it... besides eating out is easier anyway....

http://inventory.switchcars.com/card...ZZZ99Z3S698069
Old 03-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
Just throw $50k at this and be done with it... besides eating out is easier anyway....

Depending on damage history, that is a freaking steal..... I should buy it.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by J richard

In terms of engine maintenance / rebuids:
Cayman S cost < GT3 cost < GT3 Cup cost.

In terms of time interval between engine rebuilds:
Cayman S time > GT3 time > GT3 Cup time.

With a budget of $30k - $50k, I think a cup car is out of the picture. Sure would be fun though!

-Z
Old 03-15-2011, 04:49 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Spec Boxster. There's a good market (at least currently) for them if you get tired of it after a while. Quite capable and gives you some flexibility down the road. Cage makes whatever is above your head inconsequential.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:29 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No contest, GT3 by a wide margin. Almost indestructable motor and trans and they already have all the suspension parts you'd be adding to a 996 or Cayman. Just strip them to your liking, add your cage, Guard diff clutches, and you're ready to rumble. Lighter is better of course, but they're an incredible platform right out of the box. I love the look of a properly setup Cayman and would like to race on someday but for similar monies the GT3 is miles ahead of the game.....

Quick Reply: New track car choices...