Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RENNSPORT REUNION IV IS OFFICIALLY ON!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:26 AM
RSKY BIZ
Shark Slayer
Rennlist Member

Location: 'BETWEEN NORTH STAR BOROUGH...& THE CONCH REPUBLIC'
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RENNSPORT REUNION IV IS OFFICIALLY ON!!!

Excerpt from Porsche Purist:

Talk of Rennsport Reunion IV has flooded the web since the day the Rennsport III ended. However, yesterday (Sunday) things seemed to heat up with unofficial specifics when Pelican Parts announced they would be a sponsor at “this years’ [sic] Rennsport Reunion IV event”.

From there the unofficial info went viral. It was quickly picked up in the other forums (Rennlist, 6speed, etc.) and a version of a press release with additional details was even posted on the Early 911S Registry ............ After seeing all this we just couldn’t take it any longer, we needed to know, “Is it true?”

PORSCHE ANNOUNCES RENNSPORT REUNION IV TO BE HELD IN OCTOBER
ATLANTA, GA – March 8, 2011 — Porsche Cars North America (PCNA) and Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca today announced Porsche Rennsport Reunion IV will take place at the famed California racetrack the weekend of October 14 – 16, 2011.

Sponsored by PCNA, Rennsport Reunion IV brings together an unprecedented gathering of significant Porsche vintage and current race cars, as well those who have driven them to victory in the world’s most famous sports car races. The three-day program of on-track competition is complemented by a concours d’elegance, which is open to invited race participants, and special activities celebrating the decade-long, illustrious history of the legendary 911 race cars.

After the highly successful staging of three venues in the East, held every three years, with the first one held in Lime Rock in 2001, Rennsport Reunion IV will now be moving west, tapping a vast array of car aficionados and Porsche enthusiasts.

“While the Rennsport name has become a staple fixture for international collectors and racers over the past ten years, choosing the Monterey Peninsula will open up this one-of-a-kind gathering to the many Porsche fans in California and beyond who were previously unable to attend,” said Detlev von Platen, President and Chief Executive Officer of Porsche Cars North America. “Now they’ll have the opportunity to see, feel and hear from up close hundreds of famous Porsche race cars and dozens of their drivers from past and present during a truly memorable weekend dedicated to Porsche’s motorsport heritage.”

Porsche Rennsport Reunion IV will assemble the wide variety of Porsche’s most historic racing models from the nimble 550 Spyder of the mid-Fifties through the mighty 917 and 956/962 of the Seventies and Eighties to the highly successful RS Spyder of the last decade. Special tribute will be paid to the numerous racing versions of the Porsche 911 and their countless victories on the dawn of what will become another milestone of this iconic sports car from Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen.

“This will truly be a rare gathering of significant Porsche race cars on the West Coast,” commented Gill Campbell, CEO/general manager of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. “Porsche has a long racing tradition in Monterey and we look forward to celebrating its heritage in a befitting manner for everyone to enjoy.”

[Source: PCNA, Pelican Part, 6Speed, Early 911S Registry]

~Kim
Old 03-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Room is booked!
Old 03-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

This is fantastic news. Note the start date of the 14th (not the 13th as previously leaked).

There are already a few small threads popping up on the individual model forums - it would be great to centralize all discussion about RR IV right here on the racing forum for the benefit of all.

Once the thread is going, perhaps the starters of the sub threads will close theirs and link directly here?

Just a thought.

KA-LI-FONIA, here we come!

Old 03-08-2011, 05:08 PM
rstrahota
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good News!

hope to make the trip!
ds
Old 03-08-2011, 05:47 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Room is booked!
This would be my first time out there and booking a hotel well in advance seems warranted.

Any recommendations for a decent + cheap (yeah, I know they usually don't go together) hotel?

Joost
Old 03-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

When I used to go to Laguna all of the time, my wife and I usually stayed at a place called the Way Station right near the Monterey airport a few minutes from the track. It is now called the Comfort Inn Monterey Airport. Very convenient for access to the city of Monterey and to the track. I booked a bunch of rooms there yesterday for RR IV. Rates were goin' up as I was speaking with them.

My wife and I also stayed at various hotels in downtown Monterey... lots of choices there.

From time to time we stayed in nearby Salinas at places like Motel 6 if we were goin' on the super cheap, and we even stayed in Seaside a few times.

All of these places tend to book up at various times of the year for various reasons, and I am sure that they are aware of the RR IV opportunity, so book early.

Also note that camping might be available at Laguna Seca... we have done that as well and it can be fun. Tents, RV's et cetera. Again, book early.

There are also some places to rent homes in the Marina area where you can do a group deal. A bunch of us did this for the big Porsche 50th back in '98 and it was fun... except I spent 2-3 hours each day in the garage troubleshooting a problem in my street/track car so it would be in shape for the Monday DE of that memorable weekend.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:27 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Does anybody here know who is organizing this event?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingpenguin
This would be my first time out there and booking a hotel well in advance seems warranted.

Any recommendations for a decent + cheap (yeah, I know they usually don't go together) hotel?

Joost
As stated above, rooms are going fast. I booked the Hyatt, which is pretty nicely located and car friendly if I take Ruby. I know Embassy Suites sold out this morning.

Truthfully, I'd go to Expedia or similar, plug in Monterey and also try Salinas. Salinas is 15 minutes from the track, so fairly close, and that is the most economical area. You'd have plenty of Porschefiles staying in most of the places around.

There is a fairly new Best Western in Salinas that I'm staying at for Monterey Car Week in August. It looks OK from its website. I've stayed at the Good Nite Inn in Salinas as well....parked next to an early 60's Ferrari Spyder at a budget motel.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

If you know how to bid for rooms on Priceline, you can do well. I bid last night for a 4-star in Monterey and got the Portola Hotel and Spa for $130 a night. The same room booked directly with the hotel is over $240...

Best,

Matt
Old 03-08-2011, 10:05 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Booked the Quality Inn on Munras at $63 for a AAA rate yesterday. Still was available as of a few minutes ago.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:21 PM
L8Apex
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! Room is booked!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
If you know how to bid for rooms on Priceline, you can do well. I bid last night for a 4-star in Monterey and got the Portola Hotel and Spa for $130 a night. The same room booked directly with the hotel is over $240...

Best,

Matt
Got the Hyatt same way for $130

We should meet up for pints.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:44 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Room is booked!
I booked mine today with points. Already saw a few hotels booked for those dates and some have gone off the charts in prices.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:44 AM
cardsrule
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know how to register for the races? My boss (raced in the last one) and one of our clients are all over me to get them registered...Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 03-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Got the Hyatt same way for $130

We should meet up for pints.
Nice job! Pints for sure...

Are you flying in?

Natalie and I are planning to rent a (gasp) convertible and plan a 2 week driving vacation right up the coast from San Diego.

Quick Reply: RENNSPORT REUNION IV IS OFFICIALLY ON!!!