Sponsored by:

Have any of you track addicts.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:06 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

C5 or C6?

C5Zs are stupid cheap now. They do have a few cooling issues though. A larger oil cooler is highly recommended and a better trans cooler is a must. I was in a C5Z back in October and was still running into issues with over heating the trans. Every five laps I had to take two cool down laps to cheap it alive.

The C6Z is relatively indestructible. The only concerns I know of are with the oiling system. If they're abused too much there can be issues with popping motors. Not sure if its sump design or what but it usually shows up as abnormally low oil pressure both at idle and at full load.

Otherwise, replace the seats in either car and it will be a blast.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I've instructed in several and have a friend with a C5Z who throws me the keys all the time. Great track cars...too bad they're Corvettes.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:32 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Porsche drovers go flat out. Corvette drovers.........
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2011, 01:51 PM
racing916
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the Niagara DE in October there is a guy with a 2007 ZO6 the car is stupid fast and has some engine mods. He was pacing a cup car near the 2 minute barrier at Watkins Glen. Oh and no cage.....I will stick with my slower p-car with a cage.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:57 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Two comments:

1. I instructed a student in a new Corvette last year. It lasted 1 lap, then the auto tranny exploded.

2. After seeing Randy Pobst's shootout (below), I have zero interest in a Corvette.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:17 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Are these automatics that are have tranny problems and if so who would buy a vette with an auto?
Old 02-25-2011, 06:07 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric

2. After seeing Randy Pobst's shootout (below), I have zero interest in a Corvette.

I actually would buy a corvette for Pobst's same reasons.......
"A beast, exilarating, needs good driving skills".......

Anyone can look good in a GT-R.........
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all of you guys inputs.....I might buy a Z06 myself.........
Old 02-25-2011, 06:10 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I actually would buy a corvette for Pobst's same reasons.......
"A beast, exilarating, needs good driving skills".......

I wonder how much of that was the OEM tires and/or alignment versus the car itself? I never tracked mine with stock tires or alignment/suspension and it was the easiest car to drive fast I've ever taken to the track (I'm not claiming to be Schumacher either).

-mike
Old 02-25-2011, 06:44 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Speaking of Randy's comments about the Z06... try to dig up the C&D reviews of the Z06 from a couple years ago. They drove it at Grattan and absolutely hated it, saying basically the same things as Randy. It's skittish, unstable, unpredictable, hard to drive fast, etc.

If you know Randy's mannerisms very well, then you know that he's always VERY diplomatic, but it's clear he really disliked that car. I don't think "hard to drive" is a good thing. It just means there's a much greater chance you'll wreck it. Oddly, the base Corvette doesn't seem to have these issues to this extent.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:08 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 346 Posts

Everything I've read is that the new Z06 with the ZR1's magnetic shocks is a much more controllable car on the track. All the magazines commented on how much easier it is to drive...
Old 02-26-2011, 08:57 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
If you know Randy's mannerisms very well, then you know that he's always VERY diplomatic, but it's clear he really disliked that car. I don't think "hard to drive" is a good thing. It just means there's a much greater chance you'll wreck it. Oddly, the base Corvette doesn't seem to have these issues to this extent.
Um, maybe because of the torque???

The Z07 (Z06 with MR suspension) is the ultimate track beast Corvette right now, even more so than the ZR1, yes (by design).

Personally I find the torque curve of the LS7 (Z06 motor) easier to modulate than the LS9 (ZR1 motor), on track that is. Both have very fat torque curves, but the LS7 is just that much more linear...
Old 02-26-2011, 11:47 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,281 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Paolo, drive one and see how you feel. I drove a GT3 back to back with a friends ZR1 on track and the shear size of the Vette was something that surprised me. The GT3 feels like it fits like a glove where in the ZR1 I was trying to gauge where the corner of the fenders were at all times. It feels very BIG

Torque was unbelievable in the Vette, you have to be very deliberate with the throttle or the back end is going to come out on you very quickly
Old 02-27-2011, 10:48 AM
tdf360
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an '07 C6 Z06 a few months ago as a track car (at an irresistible price), and have done one event in it. It has the StopTech big brake kit, larger oil reservoir, harness bar and harnesses, seats, and that's it. My track experience previously has been in a number of P-cars, a couple of Ferraris (360 and F430) and a Lotus Elise. My biggest concern with the Z06 was that I would find it too unresponsive and numb, especially coming out of the Elise. I was very pleasantly surprised when I found it really came alive at the track, the steering seems to sharpen up with speed (it's not great on the street), the car is very neutral with minimal lean on stock suspension, and it really is silly fast. Doesn't feel too large at the track, either, not ungainly at all. I think it's the track bargain of the century, and a hoot to drive. By the way, I took it to the scales, and it weighs 3210 with a full tank.

- Gary

Last edited by tdf360; 02-27-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Have any of you track addicts.......