Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have any of you track addicts.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:22 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

^ plus seats and a steering wheel. A lot of value there. Have seen 2 grenade at NJMP for differing reasons and the owners didn't seem to mind much.. Crate motors are now under $15K, i believe.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 815 Posts

Paolo...late to this thread (coaching today). C5 Z06 makes a very very good track car with a few relatively cheap improvements. C6 Z06 is good to go right out of the box except for the dreadful seats. Both of course need a cage, given the immense speed potential. C6 ZR1 may be the very best street car I have ever driven on a track...again except for the slightl less dreadful seats.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-24-2011, 12:14 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
^ Crate motors are now under $15K, i believe.
More like $4.5k.....
Old 02-24-2011, 12:30 AM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I bought a C6 Z06 as a track car that I could drive to/from the track. I only did 2 track days with it, but it was *stupid* fast.

The first time I took it out the modifications were: intake/headers/exhaust/coilovers/ccw's w/ RA1's.

The second time I had added new hubs (the originals had 30k miles on them and were flexing causing horrible pad knockback), stoptech front BBK and a LG radiator (had water temp overheating problems the first time, partially caused by the Vararam Intake I think).

The seats were horrible. By the end of a 30 minute session my forearms and shoulders would be sore from trying to hold myself in place with the steering wheel. The car rattled and shook on the steet (interior panels, hood, and dash) but once you left the hot pits it was perfect.

With the suspension setup I had (Brandon Kraus @ Roger Kraus up here in nor cal set it up), it was the most neutral street car I've ever driven at speed. Really easy to go fast in. The car will make an average track day driver look like Schumacher and a fast guy look like Jesus.

I'm pretty crazy by nature, but it was making me have second thoughts of using it for a track/street car because it's *so* fast... it really needs a roll cage/seat/harness setup at the track. But obviously, that's a no-go for a street car.

I only sold it because I bought a race car (996 Cup) and have other fun street cars. The first time I took the Cup out to the same track, I was only lapping about 1 second faster (on old slicks and semi damp/dry conditions) to put it in perspective (1:55 versus 1:54). I'm sure I can pull more time out of the Cup, but I don't think I could have pulled any more out of the corvette without more mods.

For $40k, I can't imagine a better track car that you can drive home.

-mike
Old 02-24-2011, 01:49 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beware the LS7 (C6Z) and some will say even the LS3 (base C6). Several LS7's have gone boom with light or no mods, it's well known in the Corvette community. I know of 5 myself (like actually know the people, not just heard of). The LS6 (C5Z) is a great motor and can be run into the ground. C5Z is best bang for buck after a Miata I guess.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:09 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
More like $4.5k.....
I thought that for a used/rebuilt ?? I was speaking to brand new with full factory warranty. Damn good pricing ..
Old 02-24-2011, 09:16 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Awesome track car. Too damn fast. Awesome track car that will eat up brakes and tires because it's so damn fast.
Ya, but a front rotor cost less than $30 and can be found at any autoparts store!
Old 02-24-2011, 09:53 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have never tracked a Z06, but they are quite good. I do all my track days with NASA so not at all forced into a Porsche track car. I see many Z06's at NASA track days. I respect them quite alot.

Not car of choice, but I chose to track what I can and I am happy with my choices.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:00 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 283 Posts

I do many open track events with NASA, Trackmasters, Chin, etc. and also up @ Mosport with various groups and the Corvettes do very well in experienced hands. Many are highly modded (aside from safety items) but you really don't have to...from what I'm told cooling can be an issue for engine and tranny. The C5Z06 is a great car for the money--stick with a 2003 or newer as I believe the ones prior had engine issues.

Gary
Old 02-24-2011, 11:10 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

C6Z06 is an awesome track car, excellent bang for the buck, and very well-developed for the track right out of the box. We do a lot of on-track work in 'em...

The GS manual coupe is also an excellent track car; dry sump, and enough grip (stock) that you can hardly break the rears loose when hot, and that's with 440hp!!! Like driving a Spec Miata, only fast... But of course finding one used at this point isn't as easy as a used Z06...

Of course, the '09's onward are better.

I'm personally not as fond of the MR suspensions for the track; the passive dampers seemed more consistent to me, and I like the higher spring rates of course. But that's just my opinion...
Old 02-24-2011, 10:40 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

We have several that turn out in our area on a regular basis. They are very fast and it is even more evident given our long straight. Lot's of bang for the buck.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Hey, drop an LS whatever into a 944 Turbo and you have a GREAT car... tell him to buy Sue V.'s Porsche-Chev with the new LS?, 50/50 weight, 450+ HP/TQ, and fantastic handling!
Old 02-24-2011, 10:51 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 346 Posts

You mean like what I have in my car? See my .sig pic...
Old 02-24-2011, 10:53 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
You mean like what I have in my car? See my .sig pic...
Yep, her car looks like that! Brand new crate motor, all new conversion parts, thing is faaaaaaaaaaaaassssst!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:16 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Track day #1 for me was at Goodwood in '05. It was a corporate day and all the cars were supplied. Morning was classic sports cars (DB5, XKE, 73 911 lightweight and a Cobra). The last two where probably replicas. Afternoon was modern cars (996, Diablo, Z06 and a race prepared F355). I was the only gringo there and all the others had a bit of a laugh when the CI mentioned the word "Corvette". He didn't think it was funny and told us it was going to be the easiest car of the day to drive FAST. At the end of the day I think we all liked the F355 the best (it was a very nice and serious piece of kit, and a real race car to boot), but agreed the CI was right. Getting up to serious speed in the 'vette was by far the easiest of the day - am or pm.

Quick Reply: Have any of you track addicts.......