Mosport - Worth a 9 hour drive?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by jittsl
Dave,

My second ever DE was at Mosport with COM. 23 cars showed up so we had open track for two days. I wore through 2 sets of tires ( I had to do an overnight back to Toronto for the second set) and did more laps in that time than you can imagine. Learned to love both COM and Mosport. You'll love it. Wish I was there with you. See you at LCMT - hopefully in my new Boxster Spec Racer.
Thanks for the input Laurie. I think I'll do the COM event. They are a nice group of people and get the award for most variation in car type. They usually make some good BBQ too!
Definitely will see you in Canada.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jittsl
Dave,

My second ever DE was at Mosport with COM. 23 cars showed up so we had open track for two days. I wore through 2 sets of tires ( I had to do an overnight back to Toronto for the second set) and did more laps in that time than you can imagine. Learned to love both COM and Mosport. You'll love it. Wish I was there with you. See you at LCMT - hopefully in my new Boxster Spec Racer.
When are you coming to LCMT? I'll try to be there too!

c.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
When are you coming to LCMT? I'll try to be there too!

c.
Laurie means the July 11-13 NER NCR event cohosted by Rennsport?
There is also a Calabogie event July 7-9 with the same regions that many of us make a doubleheader out of.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

There are only 3 people registered so far including yours truly.

Anyone interested in joining/coming to this COM event?

For anyone interested, COM is at http://www.comscc.org/.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:38 PM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just relocated to Toronto from NYC and had the pleasure of having Mr. Comat in my pass seat at Mosport at the end of last year (thank you Bill and sorry again for the ear damage.....) and do I have a LOT to learn!

I am scheduled to be towing back up North from the Lime Rock club race so this weekday COM event at Mosport could work out well.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:41 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

You're welcome Scott. It was a pleasure and thank you for the compliment. I am available.....

Bill
Old 03-07-2011, 11:39 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Lots of testosterone here.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:57 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by morsini
Lots of testosterone here.
I can't speak for others here but I'm signed up for the David Murry days at VIR. There is always more to learn and I realize that the driver can always be improved. I look forward to the challenge of being faster, a better racer and a better coach.

Bill
Old 03-10-2011, 01:41 PM
SeriousB
Advanced

Originally Posted by comatb
I can't speak for others here but I'm signed up for the David Murry days at VIR. There is always more to learn and I realize that the driver can always be improved. I look forward to the challenge of being faster, a better racer and a better coach.

Bill
When are you coming back to NASA, Bill?
Old 03-11-2011, 12:23 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SeriousB
When are you coming back to NASA, Bill?
You have a pm.

Bill
Old 05-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

I was at Mosport Monday!

At the last minute before leaving from home, I wimped out and since there was a lot of rain in the forecast I took my 997 turbo instead of the Pawxster. I figured if it was going to be cold and rainy the heated seats, heat system, and defogger might be a good thing not to mention the AWD.

The first part of the day was pretty wet and even with the AWD I found the track to be difficult. It really IS a scary track and there were a number of black flag incidents in the morning. Then the track dried off and I quickly came up to speed. I have to say that T2 is one scary mother and I really enjoyed the challenge. The long straight was surpsingly bumpy especially at a little over 150 mph. I really liked the high speed right hander at the end of this straight.

We only had 40 cars and I put 300 miles on the odometer in one day. My Bridgestone street tires were clearly the loudest ones there! Unfortunately I was running low on the rear brake pads. Since there was more rain forecast for today and I didn't have an extra set of pads, I decided to head back home. I really would love to go back there in my 986. I think the car would love it there. Next time.

Thanks to all of you who egged me on to go to Mosport. I'll definitely head back again.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Great!

I also love turn 8. I personally think that turn 4 is scarier than turn 2 though. What an amazing track, n'est-ce pas?

c.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:15 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
I was at Mosport Monday!

At the last minute before leaving from home, I wimped out and since there was a lot of rain in the forecast I took my 997 turbo instead of the Pawxster. I figured if it was going to be cold and rainy the heated seats, heat system, and defogger might be a good thing not to mention the AWD.

The first part of the day was pretty wet and even with the AWD I found the track to be difficult. It really IS a scary track and there were a number of black flag incidents in the morning. Then the track dried off and I quickly came up to speed. I have to say that T2 is one scary mother and I really enjoyed the challenge. The long straight was surpsingly bumpy especially at a little over 150 mph. I really liked the high speed right hander at the end of this straight.

We only had 40 cars and I put 300 miles on the odometer in one day. My Bridgestone street tires were clearly the loudest ones there! Unfortunately I was running low on the rear brake pads. Since there was more rain forecast for today and I didn't have an extra set of pads, I decided to head back home. I really would love to go back there in my 986. I think the car would love it there. Next time.

Thanks to all of you who egged me on to go to Mosport. I'll definitely head back again.
300 miles in 1 day is a lot of work; I am amazed at how soon a lap is over at Mosport.
I was going to note that it was a long trip for one track day, but with that many miles, it was worth it.
Did you drive straight home after the track day? That requires a very good audio book (I've done it several times, but not after a 300 mile day!).
Old 05-04-2011, 01:22 AM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Glad you made it and that you will come back. How about our race weekend that has an advanced DE with liberal passing rules at the end of July?

Bill
Old 05-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
Hey Great!

I also love turn 8. I personally think that turn 4 is scarier than turn 2 though. What an amazing track, n'est-ce pas?

c.
Oui.
4 is definitely scary too. Both 2 and 4 require such an act of faith on entering otherwise the car is light and badly off line. As I was learning the track, I explored those off line areas a number of times!
Originally Posted by RickBetterley
300 miles in 1 day is a lot of work; I am amazed at how soon a lap is over at Mosport.
I was going to note that it was a long trip for one track day, but with that many miles, it was worth it.
Did you drive straight home after the track day? That requires a very good audio book (I've done it several times, but not after a 300 mile day!).
3 fillups in one day! The turbo has a drinking problem for sure.
When I concluded that there was going to be rain and that my rear pads would be limiting, I drove back to my hotel and packed up. I hit the road at 6p and got home at 3a. Instead of audio books, I play DVDs and listen (not watch!) them. On the way home I listened to
Master and Commander
40 year old virgin
Let's go to prison
Cars
The last hour of the trip I was pretty tired and probably should have pulled into a rest stop. I don't think I'll do anything similar in the future unless i have my trusty copilot Irene with me.
Originally Posted by comatb
Glad you made it and that you will come back. How about our race weekend that has an advanced DE with liberal passing rules at the end of July?

Bill
I really want to get back there but I am truly overbooked this year. I think WGI and Calabogie will be as close as I get this summer,...and those are still pretty far!

Quick Reply: Mosport - Worth a 9 hour drive?