Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mosport - Worth a 9 hour drive?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 12:44 AM
mr_fizz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easily one of the top five tracks in the world. When a miata tosses your salad thru 1, 2, 4, 8, 9 and 10 you will understand why folks love it. A fantastic piece of ribbon that is an absolute privilege to set foot on. They don't build them like mosport anymore for a reason.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:13 AM
rstrahota
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yes to Mosport

Mosport is one of my favorite tracks. Hard to explain this, but it has a beautiful, natural and rhythmic flow - a characteristic most new track designs just don’t seem to have. The track is very technical, so you would do well to go to any event where you can get quality instruction from one of the many locals who know all of the place's tricks. Try to go to a UCR event, if possible. The folks there are among the nicest and most fun in all of PCA.
ds
Old 02-20-2011, 10:49 AM
U4EEAH
Racer

Default HOLY GRAIL !!!!!

Mosport has turns, features and dynamics unlike ANY other track we drive!!!!!!!Leaps of faith, holy sh.. moments and grins ear to ear. Do not miss it. Get a ride with"local", you will be amazed by the "right" way to do it
Old 02-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Anyone have info on Aug 22-24 at Mosport? I've checked UCR, Rennsport and the Mosport site. There's a superbike event right before those dates.
I ask because the NER 3-day event at the Glen is Aug 26-28.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:23 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

The description I'm seeing the most here is "scary" and it is indeed all of (but not only) that, and with this having driven the track regularly for 15 years now and in a slow car! If you lollygag through any of Turns 1,2,4 or 8 your times will reveal it; they are all bloody fast.

Gary
Old 02-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Anyone have info on Aug 22-24 at Mosport?
http://www.mosport.com/2011/2001fullschedule.pdf
Old 02-20-2011, 07:36 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Dave, I hope you don't mind me asking a slightly different question about Mosport......

How many days do you need at Mosport to feel like you are ready to club race there?
(I am guessing the test and tune day just before the race is probably not enough)
Old 02-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo951
Thanks,....I couldn't seem to find that when I looked at the Mosport site. Looks like a bike week....shucks.

I think I'll register for the COM or UCR May event and put a few extra pair of underwear in my gear bag.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:58 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Absolutely! I try and make every day there that I can.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:23 AM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Dave, I hope you don't mind me asking a slightly different question about Mosport......

How many days do you need at Mosport to feel like you are ready to club race there?
(I am guessing the test and tune day just before the race is probably not enough)
The test and tune day may be enough if you have a coach.....
Old 02-21-2011, 09:56 AM
rstrahota
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mosport

I think you will feel ready after the test day which normally provides a reasonable amount of track time. Many have done this so don't worry about it.
ds
Old 02-21-2011, 10:02 AM
U4EEAH
Racer

Just get plenty input from a coach/local and you will be fine. There are some nuances that are not intuitive...like flooring it down a hill with a 90 degree turn at the bottom !!!! FUN, FUN track
Old 02-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Mosport is a great track - I've made the 8 hour trek up there for the club race for the last 5 years. Totally worth it!
Old 02-21-2011, 03:23 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes; not really much worse for us than Watkins Glen (about 3 hours more, but heck, its still a single day tow).
There are a few B&Bs in the area; the hotels are kind of far and uninspiring, but the track makes up for it.
I volunteered at the Mosport Club Race for the past few years, where they have an Advanced DE during the races (well, between the races), which is a lot of fun.
You will like the tow north from Syracuse; 1,000 Islands is really pretty.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:37 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mosport easily one of the best tracks in the world. fast sweeping turns, flows and rolls like some of the best sections of sebring or limerock, very little threshold braking. awsome scenery, awsome environment. the people up there are as nice as you could ever imagine. very free, easy going track. i rode my road bike around each morning for an hour for some exercise and to see the curbings and lines up close and slowly.

i did a bunch of sessions on iracing, and a ton of youtube watching before hand. first session out, i had rick deman take me out who proceeded to throw down F class record lap times with me in the passenger seat, which had me crying for my mommie, and wondering if Continental had an afternoon flight home because at that moment there was no way i was going to be competent. thats a track where the guy in the passenger seat really gets the worst of it. huge G force kind of track.

after 5,6 laps with him talking me thru the turn ins, it took me about 2 sessions to get within a second of his time and then a few chopped up practice sessions the next day and we were on it. a couple of podiums later, i definately booked mosport as my favorite track.

learning a new track is 50% the fun. granted, you may or may not be able t oget up to speed as quickly as others, and might be slower than those who have raced there before. but its fully achievable to be at the top of the scoring charts after a test/tune day (whcih FYI is just open hot lapping, no groups).

do it. you wont regret it.

Quick Reply: Mosport - Worth a 9 hour drive?