Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DE PSM Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Accelerator
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm probably comiing from a different perspective than most. For several seasons I've had a high HP/Tq 996 turbo that I've tracked quite a bit. I ran racing slicks for a couple of seasons and had some clearance problems on drivers side with a large turbo. Also may've had some downforce issues due to a cup wing and a large splitter on the front. I said all that to say this: To date, I've had 4 tire separations with 2 of them at close to 175 MPH. If I hadn't been running with PSM on, I suspect I would wadded it up on at least 2 occasions.

I agree that I could've turned off PSM and pushed for, and gotten, some better lap times but my driving goals don't include fastest time possible and best driver I can possibly be. At my age it's mostly a fun issue and the joy of watching a student develop skills in achieving his/her goals. Fo me, it has been and will continue to be PSM all the time.

Never did get a definitive answer as to why I had all the separations but it doesn't matter now as the car is essentially back to stock now and I drive to and from Road Atlanta on street tires.

As an aside, the guy who bought my wing and splitters has experienced some separations also and his turbo clearance is probably not an issue as they are much smaller than the ones I used to have.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
i can only speak from my own experience - first couple AX days without PSM were not working for me at all as I simply got used to rely on car correcting me and it took quite some time to get a sense of it. and during this time i did spin a lot. i cannot imagine any of that possible to be practiced on a track.

it is a tough subject - any p-car got a button with word 'PSM' on it, and instructors usually feel like they prefer to avoid this whole topic and it is quite understandable why. problem with that is - what people who do not really know anything about it yet are supposed to do as they progress with minimal risk to wreck their car.
some people don't want to listen either. They just wanna go fast.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:46 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
Funny story I witnessed last year. Running in the most advanced non-instructor run group in my spec miata at TWS (CCW), I was behind a Nissan GTR.
Do you remember which color GTR?

Just out of personal curiosity; there may be a correlation to be found here.
;-)

JP
Old 02-15-2011, 07:14 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flyingpenguin
Do you remember which color GTR?

Just out of personal curiosity; there may be a correlation to be found here.
;-)

JP
No, I don't remember.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in the "off" camp. I would not want to see someone use it as a crutch. Plus if you drive with it on, when would you turn it off? That would be a scary moment, as you would not have built the car control skills to save your a$$ and you are then going much faster than when you started DE'ing. Perhaps it's a matter of confidence in knowing your skills. I suppose if you think it would help you build confidence, then maybe that will answer your question.

For me, I absolutely turn it off! I love scary fun! I'd pull the PSM system out of the car if I could.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:06 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm not one to tell anybody to turn TC off, but there is some tension between driving the car fast and actually learning to DRIVE the car - especially learning to contol "sticky situations." The crutch is nice, but it inherently is the limiting factor in driver skill level. An what happens when the driver runs out of talent/ and the computer runs out of programming?

This is not a one-size-fits-all issue. And perhaps TC has opened our sport to many that would have had serious issues driving fast 10+ years ago.

All this leads to the question: should anyone be in the top run group (or instructor crew) if they only drive with TC on?

Originally Posted by Accelerator
I'm probably comiing from a different perspective than most. For several seasons I've had a high HP/Tq 996 turbo that I've tracked quite a bit. I ran racing slicks for a couple of seasons and had some clearance problems on drivers side with a large turbo. Also may've had some downforce issues due to a cup wing and a large splitter on the front. I said all that to say this: To date, I've had 4 tire separations with 2 of them at close to 175 MPH. If I hadn't been running with PSM on, I suspect I would wadded it up on at least 2 occasions.

I agree that I could've turned off PSM and pushed for, and gotten, some better lap times but my driving goals don't include fastest time possible and best driver I can possibly be. At my age it's mostly a fun issue and the joy of watching a student develop skills in achieving his/her goals. Fo me, it has been and will continue to be PSM all the time.

Never did get a definitive answer as to why I had all the separations but it doesn't matter now as the car is essentially back to stock now and I drive to and from Road Atlanta on street tires.

As an aside, the guy who bought my wing and splitters has experienced some separations also and his turbo clearance is probably not an issue as they are much smaller than the ones I used to have.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:14 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

A few of things folks in the no-PSM camp need to consider:

New drivers are showing up in vehicles that are FAST. Much faster than the cars of years gone by. A large number of our new students are driving their dream-mobile that is their first entry into true performance. They have spent a fortune on their shiny new 997, Cayman, Boxster, GTR, Z06,...

There's no reason to get on a high horse about them starting with too fast of a car. They bought the car for whatever personal reason they have, and they come to us (instructors) to learn how to drive, and to have FUN. If they go home with their 997TT wadded up, they've had no fun, and they won't come back. PSM gives them a chance to come out and enjoy their car with an increased safety margin.

Later, as they have acclimated to the track, learned to drive the line, learned to look ahead, how to brake, modulate the throttle,... then they can start thinking about turning off PSM and carefully working on advanced car control skills.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:15 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

So let's ponder this quote from Mario Andretti then:
"If everything seems under control, you are not going fast enough"

WWMD?

(let me qualify this...I'm a very, very bad influence.)

Last edited by Adrienne; 02-15-2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Perspective
Old 02-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrienne
Plus if you drive with it on, when would you turn it off? That would be a scary moment, as you would not have built the car control skills to save your a$$ .
This ^^

If the TC is continually correcting the attitude of the car then the driver is not learning anything about car control.

When a driver is on track he/she should be making the steering corrections, brake and throttle inputs and keeping the chassis weighted appropriately for where they are on the track. If a computer is catching instances when the driver failed to countersteer or overcooked it into a turn and corrected the attitude of the car with the driver making no reaction at all that's a big problem.

IIRC there is a thread going right now where the use of paddle shifters in the new RSR is being lamented. The argument is that race car drivers should have the old skills and driver involvement is demanded. Any baffoon can buy an RSR with paddle shifters and go racing.

This is no different.

I'm not advocating jumping in the right seat and turning it off but a serious discussion should be had with someone who is reluctant to go with out it. At the green and blue level the instructor should be able to exert enough control over the student to keep him or her out of trouble. Let's face it, the green group looks like a funeral procession. Accidents do happen of course. They even happen with TC on.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrienne
So let's ponder this quote from Mario Andretti then:
"If everything seems under control, you are not going fast enough"

WWMD?

(let me qualify this...I'm a very, very bad influence.)
WWMD? He would not have gotten into the car to be asked the question in the first place.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Steamboat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for everyone's input. I had no idea this topic would engender such diversity of opinion but after digesting the arguments, it's easier to understand how reasonable people can have differing perspectives. Onward......best,
Old 02-16-2011, 11:02 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
How many times does this subject come around? Here's a novel approach, ask the student how fast their rear brake pads wear out. If it is about as much as the front, they are not ready. If they never wear, then turn it off.
^ that^ and "If you have to ask others you are not ready"
Old 02-16-2011, 11:04 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

What is a crutch and what is an advancement?

Quick Reply: DE PSM Question