Sponsored by:

DE PSM Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
For novice students, absolutely on. For advanced students, they can turn it off and I won't argue but there is no way I'm going to suggest it.
+1
Old 02-15-2011, 12:44 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
That post makes you sound like a complete ***. Seriously.
i do not completely disagree, but several recent discussions here were even worse and how VR responded there and what he says here seems to be pretty typical for him apparently so i remain at my opinion. it is his business how to behave and it is my business how to comment on it - it is a public forum after all. and my opinion is that any question deserves a normal calm response no matter how right or wrong original question could have been.

---------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboat
For those cars equipped with Porsche Stability Management system, what is the consensus about running a DE with it left on or turned off?

VR: Yes.
---------------

to me it sounds simply disrespectful and I am saying this as it is.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
i do not completely disagree, but several recent discussions here were even worse and how VR responded there and what he says here seems to be pretty typical for him apparently so i remain at my opinion. it is his business how to behave and it is my business how to comment on it - it is a public forum after all. and my opinion is that any question deserves a normal calm response no matter how right or wrong original question could have been.

---------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboat
For those cars equipped with Porsche Stability Management system, what is the consensus about running a DE with it left on or turned off?

VR: Yes.
---------------

to me it sounds simply disrespectful and I am saying this as it is.

With all due respect, you are delusional. I gave a clear, calm response that was apparently lost on you. As the Captain said in Cool Hand Luke: "Some men you just can't reach".

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-15-2011, 01:13 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"What we have here is a failure to communicate!" Cool hand Luke
Old 02-15-2011, 01:18 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

yep, you could not make it clearer that you do have your established clientele and don`t give rat`s *** about anybody else and what they may ask about.
it shows in pretty much each and every thread on this forum.
I respectfully object to this comment and what it implies about VR. He is very forthcoming with information, but he is cognizant of where saying something vs showing you something is a lost cause. On this particular topic, there is some liability to telling your student to turn traction control off. Like many others, I don't suggest one way or another.

-td
Old 02-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CWhaley
"What we've got here is failure to communicate!" Cool hand Luke
Fixed it for ya.

Most people misquote it.

Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:23 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

As you will start driving more aggressively you will notice how and when PSM light engages - if you overthrottle exiting the corner of too much braking on entering - so just use it as an indicator of your own mistakes. ...
IMO (for most students) that little light intrudes into proper driving just as much as indicating mistakes. You can't learn to drive on slip when the car won't let you. I've seen many instances of traction control causing terrible understeer resulting in various problems including two wheels off as well as teaching the student that they've reached the limit when they are nowhere near it.

-td
Old 02-15-2011, 01:24 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Sorry Larry I do not speak Southern Hillbilly...
Old 02-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CWhaley
Sorry Larry I do not speak Southern Hillbilly...
Neither do I, but I know when I want a Budweiser in a redneck bar to ask for a "bear".
Old 02-15-2011, 01:45 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
IMO (for most students) that little light intrudes into proper driving just as much as indicating mistakes. You can't learn to drive on slip when the car won't let you. I've seen many instances of traction control causing terrible understeer resulting in various problems including two wheels off as well as teaching the student that they've reached the limit when they are nowhere near it.

-td
i can only speak from my own experience - first couple AX days without PSM were not working for me at all as I simply got used to rely on car correcting me and it took quite some time to get a sense of it. and during this time i did spin a lot. i cannot imagine any of that possible to be practiced on a track.

it is a tough subject - any p-car got a button with word 'PSM' on it, and instructors usually feel like they prefer to avoid this whole topic and it is quite understandable why. problem with that is - what people who do not really know anything about it yet are supposed to do as they progress with minimal risk to wreck their car.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

My student last time was this gal in a Volvo sedan. It was only her 3rd time out to Sebring and she was doing remarkably well. Her first session out she got passes from a Ferrari, a Porsche 911TT and an M3. I'm sure those boys won't be telling too many people about that.

In any case, she was an astute enough student to perceive the stability control kicking in through some of the turns, slowing her down, even when put into "sport mode".

She emailed me the other day to tell me she'd gotten some Advan Neovo tires, and had figured out how to totally defeat the traction control. She is requesting me as an instructor again at the event next month. Should be interesting. I think she'll be ready for solo.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:42 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a couple of ways PSM intrudes on your driving, but the reasons are very different. First (#1) is important and the system basically says " Your not taking the corner properly and you need to slow down if your going to try it this way". The next scenario is rarely introduced: " (#2)Your car setup and grip levels exceed my system parameters therefore I need to make some corrections and slow the car down within my program limits". Most drivers think scenario #2 is present when in fact it is #1.

When the driver skill level gets high enough he or she can drive the car to very limit of the PSM system and understand Exactly why and where the system limits are exceeded. If you don't know when and why the PSM has kicked in 100% of the time then you have answered the question as to whether you should rely on the safety of PSM.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
I respectfully object to this comment and what it implies about VR. He is very forthcoming with information, but he is cognizant of where saying something vs showing you something is a lost cause. On this particular topic, there is some liability to telling your student to turn traction control off. Like many others, I don't suggest one way or another.

-td
EXACTLY! Thank you.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-15-2011, 04:50 PM
TR6
Drifting

Funny story I witnessed last year. Running in the most advanced non-instructor run group in my spec miata at TWS (CCW), I was behind a Nissan GTR. He would pull away dramatically on the straights and I'd reel him back in in the twisties. I was behind him from T3 through T6 and right at the apex of T6, he loses it big. I mean there was a cloud of dirt and rocks and small rodents flying as he spun through the apex and off the track. I walked up to him in the paddock after the session to ask him if he wanted to see video of it. He told me the stability management computer "malfunctioned". Translation: Because he didn't understand what the car's limits really were, he finally pushed the laws of physics to the point where even the GTR supercomputer threw it's electronic hands up in the air and said 'screw you boy, you're on your own'.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TR6
Because he didn't understand what the car's limits really were, he finally pushed the laws of physics to the point where even the GTR supercomputer threw it's electronic hands up in the air and said 'screw you boy, you're on your own'.

Quick Reply: DE PSM Question