Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DE PSM Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:05 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Great point. Thats the 'tell'. No other.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:46 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
^ Not sure the OP is asking the question from the Instructors' perspective. I assumed he means as an advanced driver able to make his own call. Could be wrong, tho... Chime in/clarify OP. If Instructing, one would always want it on, no question/common sense.

BTW your car is BEAUTIFUL!!!
For novice students, absolutely on. For advanced students, they can turn it off and I won't argue but there is no way I'm going to suggest it.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:19 PM
Steamboat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Not sure the OP is asking the question from the Instructors' perspective. I assumed he means as an advanced driver able to make his own call. Could be wrong, tho... Chime in/clarify OP. If Instructing, one would always want it on, no question/common sense.

I'm interested in learning from others experiences, especially instructors. I run an 08 911 Turbo and am new to an advanced group this past year and have always left "it" on. I can feel it intercede from time to time - mostly when getting on the throttle after apex. Not sure if I'm over doing it and it's saving my bacon or if I'd be better off with "it" off and would have more control adjusting throttle and steering inputs. Intuitively, it seems that being able to drive the car while it is sliding under control is likely to be faster and safer than dealing with a random electronic intervention and possibly over-driving it - if that's even possible. Hence, I'm leaning towards turning it off this year, initially slowing down a twitch or two, and then building confidence and speed back up. But I'd like to know what I'm if for and if it's a big deal or not.

Re: Car: Thank you!
Old 02-14-2011, 11:32 PM
Steamboat
Instructor

^ PS JScott's car is beautiful too!!
Old 02-14-2011, 11:33 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

^ The 'car' comment was to jscott82 whose car-avatar I have always lusted after. That said, yours is beautiful too!!

Thought I understood your query. Good info above. You need to 'wean' off the same at some point. Take it slow and be sure you can 'feel' whats going on beneath you before ramping it up. Don't be afraid to hire a Pro Coach - $ well spent once you get relatively proficient.

GL!
Old 02-14-2011, 11:50 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is great stuff. After a coming up through the ranks in a 993 and a 964, I had to learn car control (albeit easier than pre 1990 911's) and I am thankful for it. I had to learn car control, trail braking and how to drive a momentum car without the electronics while driving amongst the 996's, 997's and GT3's. This will be my first season in my new to me 997S and am really looking forward to some "incremental" driving. What I mean by incremental is I want to know where the edges are, learn this car's balance, how to rotate it confidently, how to use the extra power and hopefully not to color outside the lines. Then, I will turn on the PSM - maybe.

My initial thoughts were to turn it on from the beginning - as an outcome of totalling my 964 at The Glen last September. I was thinking that the extra protection would help. In the end, I believe that having the electronics just will allow me to make more mistakes. These mistakes just don't just happen but they slowly creep in - no matter how astute I think I am about what the car is doing.

Just my 2 cents. Nonetheless, hope to see some of you out there on 3/19-20 at T-Bolt (if the snow melts) and/or on 4/7 at Lime Rock. Look for an arctic silver 997S #918.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:12 AM
Steamboat
Instructor

Originally Posted by TAI2
This is great stuff. After a coming up through the ranks in a 993 and a 964, I had to learn car control (albeit easier than pre 1990 911's) and I am thankful for it. I had to learn car control, trail braking and how to drive a momentum car without the electronics while driving amongst the 996's, 997's and GT3's. This will be my first season in my new to me 997S and am really looking forward to some "incremental" driving. What I mean by incremental is I want to know where the edges are, learn this car's balance, how to rotate it confidently, how to use the extra power and hopefully not to color outside the lines. Then, I will turn on the PSM - maybe.

My initial thoughts were to turn it on from the beginning - as an outcome of totalling my 964 at The Glen last September. I was thinking that the extra protection would help. In the end, I believe that having the electronics just will allow me to make more mistakes. These mistakes just don't just happen but they slowly creep in - no matter how astute I think I am about what the car is doing.

Just my 2 cents. Nonetheless, hope to see some of you out there on 3/19-20 at T-Bolt (if the snow melts) and/or on 4/7 at Lime Rock. Look for an arctic silver 997S #918.
Just as a point of clarification, PSM is always on - you don't need to do anything to engage it; it takes an affirmative act to turn it off. When it's off, a light will illuminate (at least in the models I'm familiar with) on the PCM module. Best,
Old 02-15-2011, 01:06 AM
carreracoupe997
Racer

I have seen this scenario several times: A student learns with PSM on. He then solos. With each outing his confidence builds as does his speed. He thinks he's pretty good now so he turns the PSM off. Then he crashes.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by carreracoupe997
I have seen this scenario several times: A student learns with PSM on. He then solos. With each outing his confidence builds as does his speed. He thinks he's pretty good now so he turns the PSM off. Then he crashes.
Yup, this is why I rarely if ever answer the OP question. I prefer sbelles' approach.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carreracoupe997
Or a relatively new driver goes and buys a GT3 because "it's the best track car out there" and stuffs it. The wheel constantly gets re-invented.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:37 AM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On track when anyone ask me I give them the same answer I gave here.... Leave it on and USE IT as a tool like you would your data (as they wouldn't have data anyway).
Old 02-15-2011, 10:51 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Steamboat
For those cars equipped with Porsche Stability Management system, what is the consensus about running a DE with it left on or turned off? If turned off, when in a driver's learning progression is that recommended and what perceptible differences might the driver expect to encounter? I understand that some systems such as ABS are never completely disabled and will continue to intervene albeit at higher threshold levels than normal. Thanks for any insights,
you will need to learn in what conditions you make PSM to engage and how to drive to the limit where it does not engage. when you`ll be able to control it consistently - then you can turn it off. your chances to spin will increase a lot. at AX PSM off gives you more control, you can more easily make rear axle to slide and drift more predictably, but if you overdo it - you will spin. PSM really helps a lot to remain in control and it is much more difficult to make car spin with it on.
As you will start driving more aggressively you will notice how and when PSM light engages - if you overthrottle exiting the corner of too much braking on entering - so just use it as an indicator of your own mistakes. when this indicator will remain silent where you want it to be silent and will pop up where you expect it to - that is a moment to turn this 'please save me' feature off.

I am not sure if regular DE session really has to be pushed that far, I would prefer to have PSM on most of the time.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:11 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yup, this is why I rarely if ever answer the OP question. I prefer sbelles' approach.

yep, you could not make it clearer that you do have your established clientele and don`t give rat`s *** about anybody else and what they may ask about.
it shows in pretty much each and every thread on this forum.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
yep, you could not make it clearer that you do have your established clientele and don`t give rat`s *** about anybody else and what they may ask about.
LOL...bitter much? If you had bought a dog & named him "Clue", you'd know that it is a liability nightmare to answer the OP question. But your ignorance shows in pretty much each and every thread in which you post.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:27 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by utkinpol
That post makes you sound like a complete ***. Seriously.

Quick Reply: DE PSM Question