Sponsored by:

Steering wheel quick release??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 02:57 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 787 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Looks like you have your Rothsport QD mounted sideways. Reorient it so the piece attached to the hub looks like a frown.
Originally Posted by onefastviking
Mine are all happy because they smile, no frowns here. Is there really a difference in how it should be mounted ? Smiling or frowning ?
The pictures on the Rothsport web site do show it in the frown position.
Anyone know ? Time to call Jeff ?
The "frown" orientation makes the most sense to me. Why? The largest radius should be able to handle the most load with the least amount of wear and have the smoothest operation.

Yes, I hear you. How does that matter here? It might not. It certainly only has a chance of mattering during the mounting and unmounting process.

When you mount and unmount the steering wheel, odds are the tires will be facing straight ahead. It's possible that there will be some downward pressure
applied to the top of the "frown". The top of the "frown" with one larger point of contact can handle that load better and more smoothly than the top of the "smile" which has two smaller points of contact, one of which may not be in contact and not sharing the load.

You can feel this for yourself as you mount the steering wheel with the release mechanism pulled it so the retaining pins are retracted by slightly turning the steering wheel while it rests on the "frown" or "smile".

By the way, those of you will the Rothsport quick release, when you mount the steering wheel, do you pull in the release mechanism? I know it is designed so that is not necessary, but I am curious.

Scott
Old 03-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

Scott:
The Spec Box I have raced has the Rothsport release, my own car has a Lifeline. Out of habit, I pull the ring back when in the Boxster, but I don't think it is necessary. Can't see why it would hurt either way.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:54 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
The "frown" orientation makes the most sense to me. Why? The largest radius should be able to handle the most load with the least amount of wear and have the smoothest operation.

Yes, I hear you. How does that matter here? It might not. It certainly only has a chance of mattering during the mounting and unmounting process.

When you mount and unmount the steering wheel, odds are the tires will be facing straight ahead. It's possible that there will be some downward pressure
applied to the top of the "frown". The top of the "frown" with one larger point of contact can handle that load better and more smoothly than the top of the "smile" which has two smaller points of contact, one of which may not be in contact and not sharing the load.

You can feel this for yourself as you mount the steering wheel with the release mechanism pulled it so the retaining pins are retracted by slightly turning the steering wheel while it rests on the "frown" or "smile".

By the way, those of you will the Rothsport quick release, when you mount the steering wheel, do you pull in the release mechanism? I know it is designed so that is not necessary, but I am curious.

Scott
Upon considering this now I may also prefer the frown for a whole new reason. Technically the smile could hold something in it,dirt,rock, etc, thus not allowing a total engagement. While the frown it would most likely fall off of.

As for the other issues you state Scott, with the tapered male piece I would think the load would be evenly distrubuted.

I too pull out of habit just as Carrera51 does. Then I always tug hard after engaged to be sure it is totally engaged. Old habits are hard to die.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Then I always tug hard after engaged to be sure it is totally engaged. Old habits are hard to die.
Yes, but bad habits die quickly.

Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:01 PM
winders
Race Car

Upon considering this now I may also prefer the frown for a whole new reason. Technically the smile could hold something in it,dirt,rock, etc, thus not allowing a total engagement. While the frown it would most likely fall off of.
True!!

As for the other issues you state Scott, with the tapered male piece I would think the load would be evenly distrubuted.
Yes, but you are assuming that the engagement is perfect and one part of the tapered surface does not make contact first. That's not likely to happen in real life....

I too pull out of habit just as Carrera51 does. Then I always tug hard after engaged to be sure it is totally engaged. Old habits are hard to die.
Yes, I plan on making that part of my routine....

Scott
Old 03-08-2011, 05:12 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Watch from 6:33 on.
He never lifts AND still gets the shift in, nice !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvNyl...embedded#at=21
Old 03-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

You guys are making me very nervous about my quick release!
Old 03-08-2011, 06:36 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Coochas
You guys are making me very nervous about my quick release!
It probably make no difference at all. If it did, I am sure that Rothsport would include some instructions. I just received mine from them with no instructions.

Regardless, you could remount with a "frown" or a "smile" in about 5 minutes....

Scott
Old 03-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
It probably make no difference at all. If it did, I am sure that Rothsport would include some instructions. I just received mine from them with no instructions.

Regardless, you could remount with a "frown" or a "smile" in about 5 minutes....

Scott
I guess mine is more like this:

: )
Old 03-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

You Boxster guys.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:07 PM
winders
Race Car

Boxster guys, Indeed!!

It's actually more like this:

( :

Scott
Old 03-08-2011, 09:35 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Never did find one I liked all around. Some were nice and tight some were dead simple to install and remove but all left the hub extension on the steering shaft. This sticks out in the way during entry and exit. I ended up just making one that is 100% locked in or not, no middle ground. The pins drop in and can be see by the driver in locked or not locked position. you can't set the wheel in place without the pins not dropping in and if they are held out the wheel will not stay put. I have seen 3 of track event from wheels coming off. One totaled a very nice full track 914/6.

Last edited by kurt M; 07-26-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

As always, very nice work.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 358 Posts

Well despite my and everyone else's better judgment I bought and installed the Snap-Off. It comes w/ a horn adapter but you don't need it w/ a 993RS Momo steering wheel.

The only issue was the inner lip of the Momo horn adapter ring, it had a ridge that needed to be ground flat to fit.

Here's hoping that this works out ok.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel quick release??