Schroth Hybrid II Hans

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 12:15 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts
Default Schroth Hybrid II Hans

Folks,

I am looking to get belts for my race car. I will be using a Hans Model 20 Sport Series along with a Bell M4 helmet. I am leaning toward the Schroth Hybrid II Hans (Schroth P.N.: sr 21193).

Anyone have opinions, good or bad, on the Hybrid II Hans versus the Profi II-6 Hans? The $49 difference isn't an issue.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 02-09-2011, 12:42 AM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hybrid II is nice and comfortable for your self. I had them for myself and the passenger side. I would not use it again on the passenger side because it takes alot of up close and personal touch to show how to close it.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:05 AM
winders
Race Car

Brian,

Thanks. My passenger seat will be used sparingly at best (won't be in the car most of the time) so I'm not going to go crazy on belts for it. In fact, I may just get a G-Force Pro Series 6-PT Camlock system for it.

Scott
Old 02-09-2011, 07:23 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I really, really like the Hybrid IIs, and have put three of them in cars. I use the HANS-specific for the driver and the regular 3" shoulder for the passenger. Never had to strap someone in--passengers could always watch me and do themselves. The Hybrid is very comfortable with to T-bar to sit in one's crotch. I like them a lot.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:31 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hybrid II ... Good choice, excellent comfort. I have a set of Titanium Hybrid II (no reason, just a geek who wanted titanium hardware).

HANS specific shoulder belts? Odd, since HANS says there is no need for them and they test and recommend old fashioned 3" shoulder belts...but let's not go there yet again
Old 02-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Let's not go there, but you raise it? Either 2" or 3" shoulder belts work fine with the HANS and the 3" belts are ok without the HANS, but I find the 2" belts easier to use with the HANS, and drivers of my cars ALWAYS wear a HANS. YMMV.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:05 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian A.
Hybrid II is nice and comfortable for your self. I had them for myself and the passenger side. I would not use it again on the passenger side because it takes alot of up close and personal touch to show how to close it.
+1
hybrid II for me, more comfortable
Profi for passenger, easier to get in and out of.

My only beef with them is the pull-up lapbelt adjusters. 1) they keep getting caught in the seat holes and 2) very difficult to operate since you dont have room to "pull-up". I’m thinking about trying the NASCAR version this time, they have no adjusters at all... Will be a royal bitch to get them setup correctly the first time, but hope it would make life easier over the long haul...
Old 02-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jscott82
the pull-up lapbelt adjusters. 1) they keep getting caught in the seat holes
Careful! If the adjuster is too near the hole in the seat side in a collision they can cause the belt to loosen, and that is not good. I had to adjust the length of my belts to put the adjuster in a different spot to avoid that risk.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:37 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Careful! If the adjuster is too near the hole in the seat side in a collision they can cause the belt to loosen, and that is not good. I had to adjust the length of my belts to put the adjuster in a different spot to avoid that risk.
exactly.....
Old 02-09-2011, 10:55 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is potentially MUCH worse than that. With the adjuster near the hole, in a collision the belt may dump (the adjuster gets turned sideways and the belt bunches up on one side). Dumping often results in catastrophic cuts to the webbing and total belt failure.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:25 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
It is potentially MUCH worse than that. With the adjuster near the hole, in a collision the belt may dump (the adjuster gets turned sideways and the belt bunches up on one side). Dumping often results in catastrophic cuts to the webbing and total belt failure.
Agreed.
See the Earnhardt crash for evidence of belt dumping.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:27 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Let's not go there, but you raise it? Either 2" or 3" shoulder belts work fine with the HANS and the 3" belts are ok without the HANS, but I find the 2" belts easier to use with the HANS, and drivers of my cars ALWAYS wear a HANS. YMMV.
it's just one of those things that still strikes me as odd, that's all.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:01 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

I hate the pull down (through the seat hole) adjusters as on the stock GT3 cups. I can't tighten them with a pure racing seat, so need crew members to belt me in.

I got a Schroth with pull up for my '73 which also has a cup seat (Carbon Fiber Recaro) and it's infinitely better.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:40 PM
winders
Race Car

Awesome guys! The Schroth Hybrid II Hans looks to be a great choice!

Thanks,

Scott
Old 02-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the "enduro" lap belts too. The adjustability and easy of getting them properly tightened is incredible.

Quick Reply: Schroth Hybrid II Hans