Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Art of Road racing recap at Thunderhill!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 04:43 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Art of Road racing recap at Thunderhill!!!

Great event.....the weather started off a bit iffy.....but got much better by the end of the day. Juan and Dean put on a great event, with several excerises that really worked.....the mock race at the end of the day was also a total BLAST.... Everyone mentioned how much more exciting-stressful sprint races are & wow was it a BLAST..... Since my only real wheel to wheel experience was in Lemons....this was totally different....the group starts were CRAZY....but safe...everyone fighting for the 1st corner in cars that all perform well (unlike lemons)...it took over a lap to sort out an order where you could get on line and in the groove..... I had a great battle with spec miata's in my 928 Estate....I was stuck on street tires (that we run in lemons) since I flat spotted-corded 1 of my R comps.....it was a classic mini battle.....I had more power, but I knew they would close me down in turns 1-5.....so I had to hang on until I could put the power down......great fun!!!!

Many thanks to Juan, Dean and all the instructors for a great time!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2011, 11:08 PM
9juanjuan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Brian,

Thanks for coming out. It was awesome to see you Sean and Rick out there -- three 928's wide over the Cyclone! Dean and I had a great time putting the event on for you guys. Keep an eye out for our future events.

-Juan

(Please respect Dito's Copyright and if you want to use this image, order it from gotbluemilk.com. -Juan)
Old 02-02-2011, 11:16 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

sounds like a blast.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:17 AM
Virtual Surgeon
Advanced

I likewise had a great time. It was a great two days. I learned a lot, and I am excited about beginning my novice racing debut with the knowledge that I gained from the course. Thanks again to the Juan, Dean, as well as the instructors.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:29 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Originally Posted by Virtual Surgeon
I likewise had a great time. It was a great two days. I learned a lot, and I am excited about beginning my novice racing debut with the knowledge that I gained from the course. Thanks again to the Juan, Dean, as well as the instructors.
It was great finally putting some faces to rennlist handles too!! It turns out Virtual Surgeon also has great taste in Watches too!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 01:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,891 Likes on 2,410 Posts

Originally Posted by Virtual Surgeon
were u in the green RS 3.9 with green front lip?
Old 02-03-2011, 01:30 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Originally Posted by mooty
were u in the green RS 3.9 with green front lip?
He was in a spec miata rental.....not sure which one?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:53 AM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup - nice meeting some of the other Rennlisters but Juan and Dean kept us all too busy to really socialize. Hope to see yo guys at more NASA or GGR events.

As far as the class - it gave us some great info that will prove valuable in the close racing of a spec class. I'll be putting the lessons to the test in 2 weeks !
Old 02-05-2011, 03:31 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 67 Posts

Hey, Thanks to Darrel Anderson and Eric for lending me that yellow RX7 after my transmssion broke in the 928 racer. Glad I was able to help out. Great program! Still had a ton of fun!
Originally Posted by 9juanjuan
Hey Brian,

Thanks for coming out. It was awesome to see you Sean and Rick out there -- three 928's wide over the Cyclone! Dean and I had a great time putting the event on for you guys. Keep an eye out for our future events.

-Juan

(Please respect Dito's Copyright and if you want to use this image, order it from gotbluemilk.com. -Juan)
Old 02-05-2011, 06:55 PM
RPetty
Racer

Originally Posted by 9juanjuan
Hey Brian,

-Juan

Juan,

Thanks for the great day and training!!

Keep me posted on future events.

Planning on having more work to get even better equipped.

Rick
Old 02-08-2011, 06:23 AM
Virtual Surgeon
Advanced

Iceman & Mooty,

I was in the orange (body) yellow (top) Miata. Did not want to try and trailer over the passes. Plus, it saved me two days of work to fly in and fly out rather than a day on each end transporting the car. Sorry I did not get a chance to socialize much. Hope to make a few more trips down to CA in the not to distant future.

Last edited by Virtual Surgeon; 02-08-2011 at 06:23 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 02-13-2011, 08:37 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

it was such a great event.....the only bummer was "coach" Kibort blowing his trans the day before..... I'm sure it would have been even more fun with the 4th 928 out there!!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:47 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 67 Posts

what was wrong with the bumble Bee RX7 I used for the class?
Originally Posted by IcemanG17
it was such a great event.....the only bummer was "coach" Kibort blowing his trans the day before..... I'm sure it would have been even more fun with the 4th 928 out there!!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:00 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Originally Posted by mark kibort
what was wrong with the bumble Bee RX7 I used for the class?
Umm...nothing.....but its just not a 928 For most of the drills it really didn't matter...but I would have liked to see you and Sean up the pace a bit in the races......

I'm just glad we got you as an instructor......

Quick Reply: Art of Road racing recap at Thunderhill!!!