Sponsored by:

Sebring: Boxster S New Personal Best

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 12:24 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

I know! Ive heard!

You know, i was thinking last night, there was a way I could have lessened the blow to VR, and maybe been a little more polite so his feelings wouldnt get hurt.

How about this, after complementing Brinkley on a real fast time at Sebring (which i did, but I should start with that), I then re-write my first message like this:

"Hey Dave Scott (VR),

I noticed you said your lap times often are the same or better if you shift a little earlier than redline. You know I often hear this strategy at the track, guys talking about their cars near redline, really only make more noise as you say, and am a little confused because of the fact that at redline, most engines, even though their torque is falling off, still make more power (and thus more torque at the wheels) than if you were to shift. I've found from the dyno runs of the car we are discussing, that a post shift HP level is often much less than if you drove that engine to redline at the track. Its about a 20-40hp difference from the dynos of the 996s ive seen. So I was wondering, since you are a professional driving instructor, and I am not yet a "Professional" driving instructor what is the reason you feel, that your lap times improve, using less of the available hp so I can help my students as well as my own lap time performance?

Nice job on the advice to Brinkley. I too think that several of those turns could been adjusted for turn in and throttle on the exits to improve on his times, as well as later shift points, even though he has broken through to a new personal best. Its always nice to have a second set of eyes and ears review our racing videos.

Let me post a few graphs of 996 engines from the dyno so you can clearly see what Im talking about.

Best to you and the rest of the list,

Sincerely,

Mark "

Now, is that better??

All I can think of now, is that scene in the kiddy movie 'Madagascar' where the Lemmings are spying on the zoo animals for the first time.

Originally Posted by mdrums
Mark, you are wrong...LOL...you think this forum has issues...you should have some knowledge of boat racing forums...now there are some so called racers with real issues....very funny stuff to me.

Last edited by mark kibort; 02-08-2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-08-2011, 01:51 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I think we need a Kibort Forum where he can get his frustrations out and not have to hi-jack someone else's thread.
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2011, 01:59 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

If VR and Viking would have understood the concepts before telling me to "Go away until I get some more seat time in a 996"), this "hi-jacking" would have ended at one post and Brinkley, the OP, would have maybe picked up on something that would have helped even more than some of the "Line"advice.

You can see its cause and effect. Brinkely made a post on his PR lap time, everyone jumps in to help make him faster, yet the on concept that is not understood is challenged in a destructive way, so it takes on a separate discussion, mainly involving personal attacks. Hmmm, who needs their own forum???? Those around to scared to speak out, know, and have voiced to me who I am talking about.

Its a disussson. If you dont agree, tell why and discuss. no need to get nasty and personal here.

Originally Posted by PedroNole
and not have to hi-jack someone else's thread.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,605 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
If VR and Viking would have understood the concepts before telling me to "Go away until I get some more seat time in a 996"), this "hi-jacking" would have ended at one post and Brinkley, the OP, would have maybe picked up on something that would have helped even more than some of the "Line"advice.

You can see its cause and effect. Brinkely made a post on his PR lap time, everyone jumps in to help make him faster, yet the on concept that is not understood is challenged in a destructive way, so it takes on a separate discussion, mainly involving personal attacks. Hmmm, who needs their own forum???? Those around to scared to speak out, know, and have voiced to me who I am talking about.

Its a disussson. If you dont agree, tell why and discuss. no need to get nasty and personal here.
TRANSLATION: "If VR and Viking had just ignored the facts & real on-track data, and agreed that Mark's mistaken notions were actually correct, Mark would not have had to barrage us with bullsheet trying to somehow prove himself right. Same pattern, different day. And Mark gets extra credit for pontificating about alleged personal attacks while engaging in them."

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-08-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typos............
Old 02-08-2011, 05:48 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark,
Time to discuss this in a new thread, not a hi-jacked one.
Please start one to see exactly how many people really care to continue this discussion with you.

Originally Posted by mark kibort

Old 02-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Wow, I'm a *****. I have no business driving a GT3. Based on my lap times at Sebring I'm better suited for a miata
Maybe a Smart Car.. Those Miatas are still faster than your GT3
Old 02-08-2011, 07:43 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

TRANSLATION: I rely on data aqu and I cannot think for myself and will disagree with anyone with more basic knowledge than me so I can uphold my status as "professional driving instructor" and people will blindly follow me based on my "real" data.

Wow, I cant believe that was your only come back. Your "DATA", Really???
The real "data" is telling you that you are not using the car to its fullest. There is no logical, factual, physical reason that any car will EVER run faster down a main straight by not using all the available HP.
Look you dont have to agree with me, im only quoting Newton, who's laws cannot be broken, even by hot air balloons like you Dave.

Its not about proving right or wrong, it is right. I would be more interested to see data that pointed to the contrary to see what happened to that driver to be slower (you) when more power was utilized. Dave, high rpm "noise" does give more HP. The DATA suports this based on the 3-4 HP dyno runs that we have shown. there is no need to fight it. its bigger than you are. you dont need exact numbers . All you need is gear spacing and a dyno run with rpms noted. (exactly what we have)

Now, if this is how you coach, there is a ton of time being left on the table that I will gladly take credit for.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
TRANSLATION: "If VR and Viking had just ignored the facts & real on-track data, and agreed that Mark's mistaken notions were actually correct, Mark would not have had to barrage us with bullsheet trying to somehow prove himself right. Same pattern, different day. And Mark gets extra credit for pontificating about alleged personal attacks while engaging in them."

Last edited by mark kibort; 02-08-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:49 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Ive been privately emailed, PM'ed and phone called on this one. Everyone is scared to point out the obvious as to taking the risks of getting into a bashing contest. It is obious and it makes VR look like a fool by anyone that knows this stuff. You posted the dyno sheet, you are engaging discussion. I suppose maybe YOU understand now, right? you lose 20-40hp, based on your dyno sheet and the 996 street gear ratios by shifting 300rpm earlier. Do you bet on VR's data , or NEWTONS???

I don think this warrents a new thread. all the information is here. Im not here for a popularity contest, im here for truth and helping our fellow racers

if you believe VR and see the data Ive posted, and beleive him, then thats your problem and the other racer's benefit.

DENIAL!! Its powerful isnt it.

Here is a challenge, let's see the data for someone redlining vs not redlining in G forces. You absolutely will see an increase in Gs with redlining a 996. (this is without question) However, i dont doubt that lap times suffer because of it, unless there is a driver error. Seeing its VR doing the driving, or somenone under his direction, its not a streatch.

(again for the Nth time, this is not talking about redlining in grip, or car attitude senstive parts on a track. straight line only. we are talking about the "noise" Dave is referring to. Its not noise, its power. USE IT and be faster! )

mk

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Mark,
Time to discuss this in a new thread, not a hi-jacked one.
Please start one to see exactly how many people really care to continue this discussion with you.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,605 Likes on 834 Posts

Marky Mark, for a guy who repeatedly whines about "personal attacks", you sure as hell throw a lot of them out. And for a guy who whines about folks here not being able to handle another opinion, you sure as hell exhibit that trait, too.

Project much? Seriously....what is wrong with you?

Yeah, I am SURE you've been "privately emailed, PM'ed and phone called on this one". LOL!

Go seek solace in those imaginary friends of yours. Maybe they will give you the credibility you totally lack here.

I wish you the best of luck. Now...I'll brace for more personal attacks and dyno graphs!

Old 02-08-2011, 09:01 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

VR, you are projection personified! Yes, there you go again, going from a position of darkness. Yes, I was emailed, called and PMed. As I often am during our little spats. I post results, information, data proof and you post butt dyno results, presumptions and misconceptions. thats ok. enjoy. just make sure when we do race that you do set the rev limiter for your car 300rpm less, because all that area will be is "noise" , right? someone fell asleep in math class!

So, i lack credibility? I post the answers, show my work,, and you say, "you are wrong". who lacks credibility ?

anyway, I think its time for a poll. Is always good during the off season!

See you at High Plains Raceway. Its time!

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Marky Mark, for a guy who repeatedly whines about "personal attacks", you sure as hell throw a lot of them out. And for a guy who whines about folks here not being able to handle another
opinion, you sure as hell exhibit that trait, too.

Project much? Seriously....what is wrong with you?

Yeah, I am SURE you've been "privately emailed, PM'ed and phone called on this one". LOL!

Go seek solace in those imaginary friends of yours. Maybe they will give you the credibility you totally lack here.

I wish you the best of luck. Now...I'll brace for more personal attacks and dyno graphs!

Last edited by mark kibort; 02-10-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:07 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

WTF happened on this thread over the weekend????????????????
Old 02-08-2011, 10:24 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
WTF happened on this thread over the weekend????????????????
It got "Kiborted"!!

Scott
Old 02-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thread short be kaborted.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:10 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
Maybe a Smart Car.. Those Miatas are still faster than your GT3
Tom trained in a smart car for a while didn't he?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:49 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brinkley
After some adjusting on the new Motons I was able to match my previous lap record and then beat it by 1 second (2:22.6), even with a huge oversteer in 15a (the second lap shown).

As ya'll get ready for the 48hrs enjoy another HD vimeo clip...

http://vimeo.com/19196000
Awesome Chad, congrats on the time!!

Quick Reply: Sebring: Boxster S New Personal Best