Do people cheat in PCA Club Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 02:00 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
PCA rule book:
Wheel type, style, and diameter are free, providing wheel meets or exceeds factory safety specifications.
Wheel width may be no more than one inch wider than originally supplied wheel. Any tire combination which fits inside the stock body without rubbing and without modification exceeding “rolling” or “grinding” of the outer fender lip is allowed.
Ahhh that rolling and grinding :-). See you at the track!
Old 06-26-2017, 02:09 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
PCA rule book:
Wheel type, style, and diameter are free, providing wheel meets or exceeds factory safety specifications.
Wheel width may be no more than one inch wider than originally supplied wheel. Any tire combination which fits inside the stock body without rubbing and without modification exceeding “rolling” or “grinding” of the outer fender lip is allowed.
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2017, 02:29 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

15's can be a mixed blessing depending on the track, I personally liked my 18's better (gearing-wise) at a couple...
Old 06-26-2017, 02:39 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Those 15 inchers... thread worthy
Old 06-26-2017, 03:04 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
Those 15 inchers... thread worthy
That and remote reservoir Motons...
Old 06-26-2017, 03:46 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Remote res within reach of driver.....not sure why mounting location is free
Old 06-26-2017, 06:16 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a stupid plastic trophy (if your lucky). If you feel you need to cheat to win it, please enjoy your hollow victory. I would rather not spend my weekends in a police state. the very reasnoable checks being done keep a fairly level playing field.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:35 PM
Mitchell Butaud
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People cheat in all levels of racing. The difference is in lower level racing, they are not as likely to get caught because the reward of winning is sometimes next to nothing.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:14 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

Saw an SP3 car with 15s on it running the 275-35-15 that are popular with the E 911s so obviously it helps with gearing. I also recall seeing an E or F Boxster running 15s.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:43 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Yep, an SP3 car with 15s smashed the records this year at Lime Rock and Watkins Glen, and beat Sebring record too. Must be something to it.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:17 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
Yep, an SP3 car with 15s smashed the records this year at Lime Rock and Watkins Glen, and beat Sebring record too. Must be something to it.
cheating

Old 07-03-2017, 06:51 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
There are still issues, there were a number of NASA racers that cheated the dyno via the ECU by tying into the ABS sensors. That is, ECU parameters are different if front wheels are moving vs standing still.
Who, when, where? I've never heard of anyone caught doing this, only the possibility that it can be done/speculation.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:13 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by forklift
Very close to what I was thinking what I read post 261 which was:

1. the driver
2. the driver
3. the driver
4. 15s in the boot.
Remember the internet is "entertainment" so if my 2nd resurrection of this thread angers you then just ignore this topic . . .

But I was reviewing my video from this weeks DE at the Glen and trying to learn where I had time to be gained from the F class leader when this thought crossed my mind:

Time and again in this video Steve is on the tail of an E and they slowly, slowly pull away. That's not driving or corner speed. The E cars have a power to weight ratio equal to the F car and that should not be possible. The difference should be dramatic in the other direction.

I don't race E. I don't care if others cheat because I am solely focused on my own enjoyment (although part of my enjoyment comes from posting on RL) and my own enjoyment comes from improving my abilities slowly and with purpose, but personally I find this topic VERY entertaining, and at the end of the day I fully recognize it's a HOBBY so it doesn't matter.

BUT . . .

I am amazed and amused at the duplicity of human nature. Paddock talk amongst "shop owners" tells me cheating is fairly common at the top and not in mid-pack as has been hypothesized in this thread, but when presented with real options to curtail such activity the crowd seems to resist.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:04 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
Time and again in this video Steve is on the tail of an E and they slowly, slowly pull away. That's not driving or corner speed. The E cars have a power to weight ratio equal to the F car and that should not be possible. The difference should be dramatic in the other direction.

I don't race E. I don't care if others cheat because I am solely focused on my own enjoyment (although part of my enjoyment comes from posting on RL) and my own enjoyment comes from improving my abilities slowly and with purpose, but personally I find this topic VERY entertaining, and at the end of the day I fully recognize it's a HOBBY so it doesn't matter.

BUT . . .

I am amazed and amused at the duplicity of human nature. Paddock talk amongst "shop owners" tells me cheating is fairly common at the top and not in mid-pack as has been hypothesized in this thread, but when presented with real options to curtail such activity the crowd seems to resist.
Joe, how would you know whether the E and F cars have similar power to weight ratios? The PCA weight tables are for stock cars at minimum allowable weights. Actual weights vary widely and the cars definitely don't have the same gear ratios.

Fact is that there is less cheating in Club Racing than what most people think and fast drivers always get accused by their peers and other shop owners of cheating. That's Club Racing for you....
Old 10-12-2017, 09:15 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

So,I didn't watch the whole video, but I see very little difference between the cars ahead of you in this video.

Starting at 6:45, it appears the 2nd place car pulls away from 3rd, but look at the inside line the 3rd place car took. That would have compromised exit speed.

At 8:10 going up the toe and down the straight, there appears to be zero delta between the cars. You see HP differences in the toe big time.

Also the gap between you and the car in front changes based on speed. 0.5 sec ahead at 60mph is 22 feet. But that same 0.5 sec lead at 140mph is 51 feet. So going from ~1 car length to about 2.5 car lengths going down the straight is about what you'd expect. And if you don't close up during braking, the guy in front is better.

Also you have to think about thinks like when the last engine rebuild was done. A guy with a fresh engine can easily be a 1-2 seconds faster than a guy with a 5 season engine. All this stuff adds up.

Quick Reply: Do people cheat in PCA Club Racing?