Sponsored by:

MDX Tow Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:51 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mo
Anyone using an Acura MDX for their open trailer track car towing? The MDX with its towing package has a tow rating of 5,000, which for me is, 1,400 for the trailer, 3,100 lbs for 911, with supplies, total ~4,500.

Other than Cayenne, what other mid to larger type size SUV's are you using for open towing of your track car? Because towing is only a few times a year for me (no very high elevation), I am not looking for heavy duty SUV.
There alot better SUV's in the MDX size range than can tow a 911 on an open trailer. Remember the MDX is built on a FWD car platform. I might tow some jetskis behind it, but never a car.

Back 10 years ago I used to tow my 2500lbs 944 spec car on an open trailer behind a 4.0L Jeep Cherokee rated for 5000lbs . It was barely adequate in short (<60 mile tows). Max speed on the hwy was 70 and on any grade it dropped out of 4th gear to 3rd. I was slowly killing it and all the tongue load really compromised braking distances. I once ran through at stop light from 35 mph in the middle the night. Thank goodness the road was deserted otherwise it could have been ugly. I since moved to a 2500 dodge. After that towing was the easy part of track days and I could finally get my race car out out Phoenix. I would never have attempted a 300 mile tow across the desert with my Jeep.

Look for 6500-7000lbs tow rating. Rear wheel drive based chassis and 300ftlbs of torque. That should have the power to tow without too much beating on the motor and the higher chassis rating should help stability and braking.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:22 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I love my Cayenne as a tow vehicle. Just wish I could race more so I could tow more.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:32 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW - I met a guy at Autobahn several years ago with a Noble M400 and enclosed aluminum trailer (a lower height model). He was pulling it with his wife's Honda Odyssey (he didn't have room to have a separate dedicated tow rig). To handle this he had added a weight distributing rear hitch, a transmission cooler, heavier duty brake pads and I think he also added some front brake ducts.

Another Spec racer tows with a Mercury Villager - 944 Spec car on a lighter weight open steel trailer. The fact that the Villager has not broken into two or had its drivetrain grenade is impressive.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:37 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just because you can get from point A to point B with a marginal Tow Vehicle does not mean it is the best thing to do. Do you want the tow to be the most white knuckle, cross-your-fingers-it-holds-togeter part of your track day?

I much prefer to tow with some margin given that may be tired on the drive home.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc
"I briefly towed a my 944 Spec car on a open trailer with my father's Honda Pilot. It was... awful. Tracked like a drunken bloodhound, and that was after pumping up the rear tires to max inflation. Soft suspension & bushings, and a relatively short wheelbase made it a handful in any crosswind, and it was a kite with any passing semi. Also, there was no way to lock out top gear, only move all the way down to 3rd. I arrived at the track exhausted both times."

What year Pilot and what kind of trailer? Absolutely the opposite of my experience with an 09 Pilot and an open aluminum Trailex. I can cruise the Pilot at 70 and it stays in the "Economy" mode most of the time. I have a lot of miles pulling boats and horse trailers with p-ups and admit I was really pleased and surprised how well this package towed. I flat tow my 924 behind the Pilot for local trips and there wasn't much difference with the Trailex.
I think the Pilot was an '06. It was a 1,500lbs open pit steel trailer. Not the best towing trailer I've had, but very servicable behind the other rigs. Also had simialr experience towing my 4,500lb boat in windy conditions. Maybe a lightweight Trailex is OK in good conditions, but in less than ideal conditions, with a heavier trailer, it is not a good option.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaje
FWIW - I met a guy at Autobahn several years ago with a Noble M400 and enclosed aluminum trailer (a lower height model). He was pulling it with his wife's Honda Odyssey (he didn't have room to have a separate dedicated tow rig). To handle this he had added a weight distributing rear hitch, a transmission cooler, heavier duty brake pads and I think he also added some front brake ducts.

Another Spec racer tows with a Mercury Villager - 944 Spec car on a lighter weight open steel trailer. The fact that the Villager has not broken into two or had its drivetrain grenade is impressive.
...and I cringe every time I drive home with Angel in his Nissan Quest (he lives up the street from me). That trailer wags that van pretty good, even in good conditions....

Yes I'm amazed that is hasn't blown up, but I wish it would, so he'd finally get something else!
Old 01-17-2011, 08:16 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

"Just because you can get from point A to point B with a marginal Tow Vehicle does not mean it is the best thing to do. Do you want the tow to be the most white knuckle, cross-your-fingers-it-holds-togeter part of your track day?"

Of course not! And that was my point - Trailex, w/ light weight 924S, 09 Pilot pleasantly surprised me. Arrived without white knuckles and fully rested -both going and coming back. For my purpose the package worked. Would I do it again, you bet, without reservation, got to love that bolted aluminum Trailex.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:18 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

I blew up two MDX transmissions attempting to tow engineless 928s....

No, 928s aren't THAT heavy...
Old 01-17-2011, 09:38 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BC
I blew up two MDX transmissions attempting to tow engineless 928s..
This. Honda's are not known for transmission durability, which is putting it quite mildly. In a pinch, I'm sure it would be okay, but it is not a long term solution, IMHO.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:08 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My buddy was using an MD/X to tow a spec Miata on an open trailex. He blew that tranny near Summit Point. Got a Toureg and lived happily ever after.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
He blew that tranny near Summit Point.
How much did he pay him/her to do this?

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 01-18-2011, 01:07 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I used to tow with a P38 Range Rover HSE and didn't have any major issues towing. Owning the RR was a completely different story... I really wanted to F250 4X4 as the next tow rig/bad weather driver and I just couldn't pull the trigger. Well, it was mostly the better looking half didn't want to drive it ever. Plus, parking it at work would have been a bitch. We ended up buying a Sequoia and I don't have any complaints with the vehicle, but I'm lusting over enclosed trailers again and I'm thinking diesels again.

To make a long story short I should have bought the F250 and done it right the first time.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:02 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
Yes I'm amazed that is hasn't blown up, but I wish it would, so he'd finally get something else!
I think we have our first mischievous plan of the season to help out another racer...
Old 01-18-2011, 11:05 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 67King
This. Honda's are not known for transmission durability, which is putting it quite mildly. In a pinch, I'm sure it would be okay, but it is not a long term solution, IMHO.
I will agree that their v6 transmissions are not the best and I wouldn't own one - however Honda makes some of the best transmissions (auto or manual) for its 4 cylinders engines in the business.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:46 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 03 Acura TLS blew three trannys, all paid for without any questions by Acura (Honda), the last at 160/K. The problem was supposed to be fixed in all Honda V6 configs from 2004 on. Honda is adamant, towing requires add-on trans cooler, it's posted all over the owners manual . <OT but conversely Porsche won't even admit there's an IMS potential problem with '06 Boxsters so mine sits in the garage>

Quick Reply: MDX Tow Vehicle