Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Way to Purchase Rolex 24 Hour Tickets?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:34 AM
Motobob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Way to Purchase Rolex 24 Hour Tickets?

I have talked my wife into joining me in Daytona for the 24 Hour race. Is the best price to purchase the weekend pass (including garage access) the $85 ticket on the Daytona speedway site or does Porsche or others offer a discount on the ticket price like I have seen at other races.

This is my first time going to the Rolex 24. Bob
Old 01-09-2011, 07:03 AM
931guru
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 235 Posts

The weekend pass is a pretty good deal. You can buy it up at the track box office until the Thursday that the racing begins.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:38 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

buy the grassroots option you can drive your car into the speedway, they have dinner sat night, hospitality tent all week with garage infield and speedway access for seating. its $119 for the 4 day pass, call DIS and buy it direct.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Motobob
Instructor

It does not matter what row/seat you get on the tickets as it is not packed and most of the time you are moving around from one location to another, right? Bob
Old 01-09-2011, 10:14 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I never go in the NASCAR stands. Stay in the infield and move around to the various stands inside the infield
Old 01-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If you do go up in to the stands, try the stands adjacent to the entrace/exit of the infield ... Great spot, as you can see the entire track and there is typically lots of action in/out of the infield.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:42 AM
MikeJim
Pro

If you want to make your wife happy, spend the dough for the infield Champions Club. Includes meals, drinks, swag, garage access, and entry to the fabulous 4-story Daytona 500 Club at start/finish. The top story is open (but covered) has seats, heaters, closed circuit TV, and a 360-degree view of the track. It's the only way to really enjoy the 24-hour race in comfort. $395 per and well-worth it to get out of the weather.

http://www.daytonainternationalspeed...ions-Club.aspx
Old 01-09-2011, 10:48 AM
MikeJim
Pro

BTW, anyone who's planning to park in the Porsche lot (free) next to the infield ferris wheel, needs to be advised that the lot fills up EARLY. We're talking 9-10 a.m. early on Saturday. And the race doesn't even start until 3:30 p.m. The infield is packed by Friday. The Porsche Club has coffee, water, snacks, and closed circuit TV, free to club members.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:15 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

You'll spend most of the time moving from spot to spot but it'll be nce to have access to a covered area. I've been there a few times, good weather and bad and enjoyed the night and day viewing. It's a blast....
Old 01-09-2011, 07:50 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MikeJim
BTW, anyone who's planning to park in the Porsche lot (free) next to the infield ferris wheel, needs to be advised that the lot fills up EARLY. We're talking 9-10 a.m. early on Saturday. And the race doesn't even start until 3:30 p.m. The infield is packed by Friday. The Porsche Club has coffee, water, snacks, and closed circuit TV, free to club members.

The whole infield or just the Porsche part? I was thinking of driving down from VA for this, maybe I'll fly down, but I'd better buy some tix if that's the case.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:17 PM
MikeJim
Pro

First of all, Lake Lloyd takes up a gigantic portion of the infield. Then, a few years ago, they (Daytona Inc.) created a huge fenced area for campers ($710 per spot-infield admission tickets are extra), which gobbled up an enormous chunk of the remaining real estate.

Okay, it's still a big infield. But if you want to spend the night in a camper or a tent, they've squeezed all the campers into a Geico Caveman Campground ($310 per spot-infield admission tickets are extra). Still too expensive? You can park OUTSIDE the track (no view) for a mere $150. Of course, a lot of people ignore the camping ban and just sleep in their cars.

http://www.daytonainternationalspeed...4-Camping.aspx

So, if you're coming in a car and are willing to sleep in it, buy a pass at the gate when you drive in ($55 per person and $20 car parking) and try to find a spot in relative darkness and fairly near a rest room. You'll probably be next to some drunken bonehead from Kissimmee, who have never seen a "real car race" before and is there only to get Jimmy Johnson's autograph, but, hey, you might have a good time. Be prepared to get wet, cold, hot, dirty, and drunk. Although not necessarily in that order.

The good news is: Daytona has plenty of restrooms. But no showers in the general parking area. And the whole place is lit up as bright as Abu Dhabi during the race, so bring eye shades if you have any hope of sleeping. And DEFINITELY bring earplugs. Those damn Mazdas will shred your eardrums. Walk around. Enjoy the views. But forget about the chicane on the backside, where a lot of the action takes place. It's inaccessible from the infield. You have to go OUTSIDE the track and buy a special pass to get access to the new Budweiser Party Patio that overlooks the chicane. Be advised. The Patio closes at midnight. We are not making this up.

You can buy a pit pass when you get into the infield. But it only gets you in the garage area. The actual pits are by credentials only and are blocked from view by tarps...partially as weather protection, but mostly to keep out prying eyes. As a result, you can't see ANYTHING that goes on in the pits. No one can, without a team cred....or a Speed Channel video feed.

If you drive in with a Porsche, and you get there early, you can park in the Porsche Corral near the ferris wheel and be with people who understand what a heel and toe entails, grasp the terms track-out and apex, know what state VIR is in, and probably (but not necessarily) don't have hair on their backs and knuckles.

You will leave saying, "I'll never do that again." And you will be back next year.

Last edited by MikeJim; 01-09-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife and I did the Champions Club last year. Asked her if she would go back this year and she said sure if we have the Champions Club again. We will be there again this year with Champions Club tickets. Counting the days to get out of cold snowy Pennsylvania.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:50 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

LOL, MikeJim.....VIR is in Virginny...same as Martinsville and Richmond.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:14 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Got my tix on the way. We need a Rennlist meet up or something.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Batman 357
Instructor

I think I'll go, but I'lll be in the DD truck. Can I get into the Porsche area wtih a PCA card.

Quick Reply: Best Way to Purchase Rolex 24 Hour Tickets?