Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Way to Purchase Rolex 24 Hour Tickets?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 544 Likes on 288 Posts

we'll be there again, probably in the 993 cab.
Yes, the PCA Corral fills up fast. Just get there early Saturday, park the car, and pick it up Sunday afternoon when you leave!

The PCA group down there does a great job with the tent, snacks, TV, etc. Bring the Porsche, and enjoy good company.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 01-18-2011, 12:33 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Did the 2004 Rolex 24 with the wifey, did the Champions Club as well. We booked through Grand Prix tours:
www.gptours.com
We got paddock passes, a pre-race ride on a pace car, the works. We were fortunate enough to know Bill McCraken, one of the Synergy racing drivers, and he was very hospitable, introduced us to his crew, we even saw one of the driver exchanges from about 6 feet away. Got my picture taken with Milka Duno, she may not drive that well, but the girl is hot! She was super nice, talked to both of us a lot in Spanish (I'm Puertorrican), and gave us both a big hug and a kiss! Incredible experience overall.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:32 PM
mkd944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Batman 357
I think I'll go, but I'lll be in the DD truck. Can I get into the Porsche area wtih a PCA card.
YOU can get in but your truck will have to go somewhere else to park (unless your truck is a Cayenne). As MikeJim stated, the Porsche Paddock fills up really early. The rest of the infield parking fills up by around noon or 1PM. Didn't use to be that way. I've been going since the 80's and it's been getting steadily tougher to get infield parking over the past 5 years or so unless you arrive early.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Batman 357
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't trust my 82 SC with that long a trip yet. I just bought my ticket and I'll be taking the DD and my camera.....
Old 01-19-2011, 07:31 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Should we setup a rennlist meeting point and tim
Old 01-19-2011, 11:42 PM
Batman 357
Instructor

If all goes well I'll be there Sat morning.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:44 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Be prepared to walk a TON. The place is HUGE. Garage access is 100% mandatory, otherwise it isn't even 20% of what it can be...
Old 01-22-2011, 12:08 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Friday is a wonderful day to be at the track. Rolex practice sessions at 9:00 and 11:00 a.m. The Grand-Am Continental race (2.5 hours) launches at 1:30 p.m. A huge field, great cars, super driving.

Saturday is always a bore. NO support races. You HAVE to arrive early...then sit around all day waiting for the 3:30 p.m. start. By 6:00 p.m., it's dark, starting to get cold, you're exhausted, and/or drunk.

Here's how a "local" enjoys the Rolex. Watch practice and qualifying Thursday and Friday. Sleep in Saturday, mow the lawn, have a nice lunch, take a nap. Watch the start on Speed. Eat a nice dinner. Then about 8:00 p.m. head to the track. By then, the crowd has thinned out; the drunks are asleep in their cars or passed out in garbage piles. You can drive right in. There's plenty of parking in the Porsche Corral. The race cars are starting to get pretty roughed up (GREAT action in the garage). Drivers are into their second or third stints. A race pattern has developed.

Overnight, the action in the garage area is memorable. The pits are pretty much off limits, and you can't see much there anyhow because of the team tarps and security. You can't get in unless you have a team credential. But the garages are open, and you can walk right up to cars while the mechanics are scrambling to rebuild them. It's a truly enjoyable time to be at the track.

The track is lit up bright. Plenty to see. The international Horseshoe is a popular spot. The Turn 4 sweeper goes right past the Porsche Corral (next to the Ferris Wheel). My personal favorite spot is Turn 5; hard braking, full drift around the turn.
Map. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Da...oad_Course.svg

Around sunrise, the cars (and drivers) start to fall apart (still 9 hours to go). Around noon, leave the track, miss the traffic, eat a nice lunch, take a long shower, and watch the finish on Speed.

Last edited by MikeJim; 01-22-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:14 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Yes! Exactly.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Motobob
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeJim
Friday is a wonderful day to be at the track. Rolex practice sessions at 9:00 and 11:00 a.m. The Grand-Am Continental race (2.5 hours) launches at 1:30 p.m. A huge field, great cars, super driving.

Saturday is always a bore. You HAVE to arrive early...then sit around all day waiting for the 3:30 p.m. start. By 6:00 p.m., it's dark, starting to get cold, you're exhausted, and/or drunk.

Here's how a "local" enjoys the Rolex. Watch practice and qualifying Thursday and Friday. Sleep in Saturday, mow the lawn, have a nice lunch, take a nap. Watch the start on Speed. Eat a nice dinner. Then about 8:00 p.m. head to the track. By then, the crowd has thinned out; the drunks are asleep in their cars or passed out in garbage piles. You can drive right in. There's plenty of parking in the Porsche Corral. The race cars are starting to get pretty roughed up (GREAT action in the garage). Drivers are into their second or third stints. A race pattern has developed.

Overnight, the action in the garage area is memorable. You can't see anything in the pits, unless you have a team credential. Security in the hot pits is tight. But the garages are open, and you can walk right up to cars while the mechanics are scrambling to rebuild them. It's a truly enjoyable time to be at the track.

Around sunrise, the cars (and drivers) start to fall apart (still 9 hours to go). Around noon, leave the track, miss the traffic, eat a nice lunch, take a long shower, and watch the finish on Speed.
Most useful post to my question! :-)

Buying my tickets today... driving down Thurs... Bob

Last edited by Motobob; 01-22-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:17 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim

Saturday is always a bore. You HAVE to arrive early...then sit around all day waiting for the 3:30 p.m. start. By 6:00 p.m., it's dark, starting to get cold, you're exhausted, and/or drunk.

Overnight, the action in the garage area is memorable. You can't see anything in the pits, unless you have a team credential. Security in the hot pits is tight. But the garages are open, and you can walk right up to cars while the mechanics are scrambling to rebuild them. It's a truly enjoyable time to be at the track.

Excellent suggestions!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Motobob
Instructor

So what are a couple of good resteraunts not to miss for lunch or dinner...We are staying on the main beach strip. Thx in advance, Bob

Last edited by Motobob; 01-23-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Excellent suggestions!
So Mike should we do this rather than getting there early Sat am and waiting around for several hours for the race to start?
Old 01-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm not a local, so I spend all day Saturday there. Since I only go once a year to Daytona, I spend time walking through the garage areas watching the teams make final preparations, walking through vendor row, hanging out at the PCA corral and of course, walking pit row as soon as they open it (what is it? an hour or 30 minutes prior to race start?) to take pics of the teams and the cars.

We do go out, have dinner and then either go back to the hotel for a power nap or go straight back to the track to check out the night action. If the weather is decent at night, you tend to stay longer. Sometimes the infield action is as interesting as the stuff happening on the track
Old 01-23-2011, 10:19 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Stay a few hours after the race and count the leftover couches ;-)

Quick Reply: Best Way to Purchase Rolex 24 Hour Tickets?