Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Way to Purchase Rolex 24 Hour Tickets?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 11:02 PM
davidf1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MikeJim has the feel of Daytona. I'll add a few more points. I have been to 15 or so 24 hour races. I'm lucky enough to still have crew credentials so 2-3 hours before the race is all spent on pit lane. 15 minutes before the race they start to clear the pit lane. Time to hop over the wall and find a spot in between the pit crews behind a fireman. I watch the start from there. After about an hour I head out for a full lap of the infield. This usually takes 2-3 hours. Several great viewing places on the infield and you can focus on the racing as the fans aren't wound up quite yet. After I go as far as possible I return the the pits and hook up with friends. As someone mentioned its a lot of walking. About 7 PM we leave for dinner.

In the past the race has started at 1 PM and we're 6 hours in so I don't know if we'll change timing.

After dinner at Carbaras, TGIF Fridays or the Steakhouse (can't remember the name), we return to the track at 10 ish. Parking isn't a problem at this hour and the next 2-3 hours are my favorite. Back to the pits to check on two or three teams and by now several cars are knocked out. Once out, the crews pack up the pits and the tarps come down. Now we have viewing spots ( I know I'm very lucky to have hot pit credentials) and you learn how to stay out of teams way but stay in the action. I watch at least 2-3 driver changes. Then I start the same infield walk as the afternoon but this time it's to people watch. All I can say is its amazing. You see everything and lots of very funny scenes.

Its now 1 AM and the crowds are winding down as they are too drunk to be very vocal and its one last walk of pit lane. With crew credentials I acutally don't have grandstand access but at this hour I can alway make it into one or two good viewing spots.

We usally leave a 2 and hit a few bars on the way to the hotel for a bit of sleep. At 9 its back to the track. The best feeling is the first glance at the timing tower to see if a P car is on top. In the past we stay in the pits from 10-1 for the race finish.

This year we are modifying the end and plan to not head back in the moring as we have 1 PM flights so I expect we'll stay a bit later and both the track and the bars....

A word about weather. I've seen it all. Perfect, cold, real cold, rain and real rain. I bring everything and leave it in the car. Often its back to the car to drop off a layer or rain gear. I've also learned to dress in layers and I've learned to squirrel away a sweatshirt in the corner of a gargage or with a driver I know.

Have fun. I leave Friday at 6 AM. Can't wait.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:45 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Last year there was a big open pit spot at the start of the race. Since it was right next to the team we were there to support, we just hung out in the gaping hole left behind by youknowwho. Made for some good random shots.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:48 PM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Come by the Muehlner garage and say hi. I will be in the 18 car. Its always fun to meet fellow rennlist guys.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:38 PM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can also drop by the #22 garage, Matt and I will both be there...

Cheers
Old 01-24-2011, 07:48 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 527 Likes on 282 Posts

Hey Cory,
Great to see you're driving.
Nadine and I will stop by. good luck!

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 01-24-2011, 10:37 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 527 Likes on 282 Posts

OK, I have a question:

If you have team credentials, it does not include access with a car INTO the track. i.e. you still need a parking pass to get your car through the tunnel. Any idea how/where I can get a parking pass for Thurs-Sun without also having to buy an entire admission ticket?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:11 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

@ Mike and Mark:

Arriving Late Saturday PM like others suggested, it is the best time to show up.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:40 PM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Good Luck Cory!
Do you know the order that you'll be driving yet?
Old 01-25-2011, 02:26 PM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by SoClose
Good Luck Cory!
Do you know the order that you'll be driving yet?
Thanks! Not sure what the driving order will be. Should know by Thursday I would guess. See you at Sebring next weeked.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Motobob
Instructor

That was a blast.... Even my wife enjoyed it (or acted like it)...followed mikejims advice (modified) ... Had a great time in the garage, fan zone, infield, grandstand, drivers mtg, and outside the pits looking in... Weather was perfect ...sunny and warm which I am sure added to the fun....going back every year! Bob

Quick Reply: Best Way to Purchase Rolex 24 Hour Tickets?