ALMS reaches multi year agreement with ESPN and ABC

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 09:13 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Good news!

Screw Espn3 as neither my isp nor Directv are listed in the drop down menu.

I have discovered that my PS3 can show full screen video from the americanlemans.com stream.

Hooray!

amercanlemans.com feed is available to all. Makes you wonder why they bother with the espn3 thing?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:47 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by naroescape
Plus, ESPN3 must come through your own HIGH SPEED internet service provider. Their streaming video is not like a normal website, it is offered through specific providers, and only if you have an account with that specific provider. Try it: you have to pick what provider you use, then type in information from you account bill. I tried it at a Panera one day and it didn't work there either.
There is a "Remote Access" button near the top of the ESPN3 webpage. I do not recall the exact process, but once you sign up for remote access, you can access the content from other places. I've only tried it from work, so I do not know how well it works generally, but it has worked for me.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

With sooo much crap on cable, literally hundreds of channels I don't need, why the f### does espn feel compelled to make my isp pay for access?
Old 02-14-2011, 11:49 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ESPN3...

I am not even going to both to watch any of it. I don't have enough time watch most races live anyway and certainly no time to fart around with espn3.com.

ALMS just lost a veiwer.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:59 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have BellSouth for my Internet and went to www.espn3.com. Took a bit for the video to load but it did and the picture is great. Not that i'm excited about it for auto racing and you can never count on your home internet to run at peak 100% of the time but this doesn't seem that bad to me... Really depends on the commentators now.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:40 AM
EPWilson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just in case others are still considering their setup to watch tomorrow, here's what I've got.

My Mac mini (Mid 2010/latest) is hooked up to a primary 24" monitor via mini DisplayPort and now also my 40" Samsung LED TV via HDMI. I was able to log into ESPN3.com, watch qualifying, and full-screen the player on the TV. When I did this in Chrome, the player would stay full screen even if I did other work on the primary monitor (in Firefox it would un-full-screen when I switched to anything else). There was a little bit of noticeable skipping, but it looked like close-to-if-not-HD quality, so I'm not sure if it was my Internet connection or hardware that couldn't keep up.

This would all be much easier if I could access ESPN3.com on the Xbox 360 that was already hooked up to the TV, but despite having an Xbox Live Gold membership, as a TWC NYC subscriber ESPN3 Xbox activation has yet to be rolled out. I've been bugging TWC about this but haven't gotten an ETA. I called ESPN3.com's customer service tonight and they told me it was coming in "early 2011" - I pointed out it was already March, but the rep said he couldn't give me any more information than that.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:15 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys... I didn't get it through my internet either, but there is an EASY way to get access, I just did it.

Sign up for a free att.net email account. Select ATT from the drop down and enter your new email info. DONE.

Enjoy the race
Old 03-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Derik Royal
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Hey guys... I didn't get it through my internet either, but there is an EASY way to get access, I just did it.

Sign up for a free att.net email account. Select ATT from the drop down and enter your new email info. DONE.

Enjoy the race "

Great tip. Thank you.

derik
Old 03-19-2011, 02:59 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Coverage is great. Likethe Radio Lemans announcers. Hangs up for a second every great once in a while but I'll take that given the very few commercials. If I could just tivo it I'd be even more thrilled with the coverage.

I hooked my laptop to the modem with a cable (not wireless) and ran a cable form the computer to the back of the TV. Picture is good. sound is coming thought the computer speaker set up from the headphone jack. A real Frankenstein-like set up but it works.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:25 PM
RSKY BIZ
Shark Slayer
Rennlist Member

Location: 'BETWEEN NORTH STAR BOROUGH...& THE CONCH REPUBLIC'
Default JUST THE MESSENGER...

Another hook-up option, as per Risi Competizione:

"On iPad! Get Skyfire app ($3.99) Open URL http://espn.go.com/espn3/player?id=148472&league=ALMS.
Click 'video' icon at bottom"

Not an iPad owner; I haven't tested before posting, but deemed a 'reliable source!'

YMMV
Kim
Old 03-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John H
Coverage is great. Likethe Radio Lemans announcers. Hangs up for a second every great once in a while but I'll take that given the very few commercials. If I could just tivo it I'd be even more thrilled with the coverage.

I hooked my laptop to the modem with a cable (not wireless) and ran a cable form the computer to the back of the TV. Picture is good. sound is coming thought the computer speaker set up from the headphone jack. A real Frankenstein-like set up but it works.
It just shouldn't be this hard to watch the friggin race. I should pick up my remote and press "on"

Cannot befuknleeve they pulled the plug the alms.com feed the day of qualifying.

This is a huge FAIL. I did get a work around by my internet is below DSL speeds. I get 1.5 up and 1.5 down whatever that means. I know it's too slow to stream much of anything. It runs for 20 seconds then stops for 20 seconds. Not everyone who wants to watch racing lives in the city. In fact I'm less than an hour form the capital of the free world and I can't watch this race or any feed for 3 gdamn years. I would bet that a whole lot of people that live near a city or more rural cannot watch this. Neither sat TV system is listed so the odds are they can't watch either. They probably have sat TV because cable is not an option like me. Hell, I can't even get DSL!

Just sucks. F alms, F espn.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:13 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
It just shouldn't be this hard to watch the friggin race.

This is a huge FAIL.

Just sucks.
I agree. What a PITA.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:38 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just spent 12 hours in front of my computer! SUCKED!
Old 03-19-2011, 11:44 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by va122
+1

My office chair isn't nearly as comfy as my sofa.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:53 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by va122
I played it on our TV. While technically it worked surprising well, it needs work. I was not able to watch for a few hours. I would have been really nice to be able to play the beginning of the race. Thwn, when something happened and, as often happens, i missed it, it would be nice ot be able to back up the feed and watch.

I don't mind the transition to internet delivered content, but I really would like it to offer the DVR features I am used to having. I don't necessarily mean skipping the commercials. I don't mind watching a reasonable number of commericals; I know it pays for delivering the content to me. I really mean being able to watch with greater flexibiliity. Get it right and I will be a fan of the format.

Quick Reply: ALMS reaches multi year agreement with ESPN and ABC