Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALMS reaches multi year agreement with ESPN and ABC

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Good thing I watched a lot of it online, my DVR recorded the ABC broadcast and it was TENNIS! I guess the schedule changed and no one updated the listings, bad start..

The picture quality of the online coverage was better than expected, not HD quality though (on my 22" monitor). I have always liked the Radio Lemans commentary, although they didn't report much from pit lane or talk to the teams a lot. No real technical discussion about the cars at all, and the tech is what sets ALMS apart from other similar series so it needs to be included in my opinion.

If I can't figure out a way to connect the computer (desktop) to the TV I don't know how many more full races I'll watch though. I sit in front of a computer all day at work so it just isn't relaxing to go home and sit in front of the computer. Also if I'm on the computer I end up doing other stuff and it's hard to focus on the race, it kind of just plays in the background. The live recording wasn't as good as having it on my DVR, I like to fast forward yellow flags, rewind and replay, etc, and you can't do that online (you can on the replay but then you have to wait for the race to end and you can't see what you fast forward).

Overall not a terrible transition but there is a lot of room for improvement..
Old 03-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

This is a nice summation:

http://lastturnclub.com/index.php?op...=764&Itemid=51

Only thing he didn't mention was that the alms.com feed was actively blocked for US subscribers.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Only thing he didn't mention was that the alms.com feed was actively blocked for US subscribers.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:17 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Streak

The flaw in the logic is the assumption that ALMS selected ESPN3 over a broadcast TV option. While ALMS' promotion may make it sound like a choice, I suspect that ALMS had no choice. I suspect that ALMS does not have sufficient sponsor interest to get a broadcast TV deal, unless it was willing to pay for the time like Champcar did before it failed. Seems really plain and simple that networks will not go for endurance races because most people find them too long to be of interest, hence the 90 minute broadcast. If the longer ALMS events were on broadcast TV, I would watch it there, but it isn't and except for LeMans probably won't be again. Niche events are going to the net. We are going to need to adjust.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:30 PM
syncspeedinc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DCP
The flaw in the logic is the assumption that ALMS selected ESPN3 over a broadcast TV option. While ALMS' promotion may make it sound like a choice, I suspect that ALMS had no choice. I suspect that ALMS does not have sufficient sponsor interest to get a broadcast TV deal, unless it was willing to pay for the time like Champcar did before it failed. Seems really plain and simple that networks will not go for endurance races because most people find them too long to be of interest, hence the 90 minute broadcast. If the longer ALMS events were on broadcast TV, I would watch it there, but it isn't and except for LeMans probably won't be again. Niche events are going to the net. We are going to need to adjust.

Bingo, you have hit the nail on the head. I have worked on ALMS series programs in the past and you could not be more correct, what we are seeing here is the result of economics plain and simple. If the advertising and sponsor dollars were there it would be on TV and folks would make $, currently it is not.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Speed = NASCAR
NASCAR = Grand Am
Grand AM vs. ALMS = No ALMS on Speed

Part of the equation?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:55 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Krokodil
Speed = NASCAR
NASCAR = Grand Am

Part of the equation?
I think that is much more accurate than the viewership angle, or people not wanting 'long' races.

A majority of The Rolex 24 was broadcast on SPEED.

Anybody know the attendence at Daytona? I would doubt it topped the 100,000 that was at Sebring this past weekend, or the 124,000 that was at Petit LeMans last year.

Besides...isn't SPEED suppose to be a racing 'Motorsports' Authority'? How about showing some RACING then (OK, I know, that's horse has been beaten to death)

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 03-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

This wouldn't be upsetting if the the fans didn't care. But we do.

Grand AM, JC France and the WWF gang, is rubbish.

If I was CFO of the ALMS, I'd find myself a new media director. Fast.

Best,

Matt
Old 03-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Krokodil
Speed = NASCAR
NASCAR = Grand Am

Part of the equation?
I don't think so. I could be wrong, but I think ALMS just took the money when it came TV contract time and didn't think (or give a sh*t) about just how ABC would decide to air the ALMS races. If Speed had won the contract again, Sebring would have been telecast on Speed.

I think I lay this at the feet of ALMS. What about Le Mans? Is it part of the same contract or will it be on Speed as it has been for the past decade?
Old 03-22-2011, 11:03 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by syncspeedinc
Bingo, you have hit the nail on the head. I have worked on ALMS series programs in the past and you could not be more correct, what we are seeing here is the result of economics plain and simple. If the advertising and sponsor dollars were there it would be on TV and folks would make $, currently it is not.
You are correct, but I just can't see how there is so much crap that makes it on TV that it would bring more viewers than ALMS.

Last weekend instead of watching ALMS I watched NOTHING. Had it been on I would have watched.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:25 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
...A majority of The Rolex 24 was broadcast on SPEED.

Anybody know the attendence at Daytona? I would doubt it topped the 100,000 that was at Sebring this past weekend, or the 124,000 that was at Petit LeMans last year....
I think they sold about 10 tickets for the infield and the rest were track-hands. I really don't know how many they sold. There was NOBODY in the stands and I don't recall seeing anybody on the infield either. Part of Grand-Am's camera coverage protocol is to stay focused on the cars or the pits, so you can't see that no one attends their races.

But they aired 17 of the 24 hours!
Old 03-22-2011, 03:48 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by syncspeedinc
OK, say it IS economics. How much are the manufacturers paying to field a goddamned car for this race, all-in. And I mean from the design to the dude cleaning up the catering. (I get that an Audi/Peugeot probably includes this under the overall LeMans budgeting.)

From that, how much would it cost to subsidize TV broadcasting so all but the most tech-savvy can actually tune in to the race? I'm guessing about as much as one Audi ad on primetime for a third-tier sitcom on NBC Thursday night. Or a spot during the competing NCAA tournament games. It boggles my mind to see the short-sightedness toward a loyal, affluent customer base. A friend of mine drank Lowenbrau (until it disappeared from the US market) just because they sponsored Holbert's 962. Long after their sponsorship of the car went away.

Originally Posted by CCA
I think they sold about 10 tickets for the infield and the rest were track-hands. I really don't know how many they sold. There was NOBODY in the stands and I don't recall seeing anybody on the infield either. Part of Grand-Am's camera coverage protocol is to stay focused on the cars or the pits, so you can't see that no one attends their races.

But they aired 17 of the 24 hours!
I've been to the 24 in '92, '00, and '09. '92 had a packed infield but the series was in decline, though I got to see the Toyota run and it was (I think) the fastest of the prototypes ever to run. '00 was insane, and I think I found the last place to park a car on the infield. '09 was crowded, I'd say 90% full.

One thing to remember is 70% of those on the infield are there just to party. I doubt they could differentiate a DP from the pace car. Especially come Sunday afternoon.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:43 PM
AutoAtlanta
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I attended both the Rolex 24 at Daytona AND the 12 hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida.

Sebring had easily twice as many active attendees. It is such a HUGE place. The infield was a riot!
Old 03-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DCP
I don't think ALMS could sell it. I did my weekly Tivo scan yesterday. Discovery and Nat Geo have more time dedicated to motor sports than ALMS got for their superbowl event out of ABC. Versus has so much free time they are airing kids gokarting but ALMS can't get on TV? I just don't buy that it was their only option.

Then to not consider the vast amount of viewers that don't get ESPN3 was just stupid.

Whoever put this deal together did a very bad job. It's not "a step in the right direction" when they actively block fans from being able to view their product. I would think that ESPN3 would want as many viewers as possible and same for ALMS. It sounds more like ALMS had a wussy negotiator that took what ESPN gave them and diminished the value of their product in the process. When I can watch a guy painting landscapes 24/7 I just wonder how ALMS can't get on the air like that guy does. Hundreds of useless channels but ALMS.

Damn shame because I'm a huge Lizards fan and I would watch ALMS over anything else. I love the Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette thing. Love it! Rolex is fun but I'm not as geeked up about watching cheater Mazdas all year
Old 03-22-2011, 06:49 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
When I can watch a guy painting landscapes 24/7 I just wonder how ALMS can't get on the air like that guy does. Hundreds of useless channels but ALMS.
Hey, I dig landscapes and resemble that remark!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: ALMS reaches multi year agreement with ESPN and ABC