Sponsored by:

RUF Yellowbird hotlap at Nordschleife

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:43 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,564 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I'm slightly shocked at the lack of respect for the skills displayed by the instructors here...Is this level of driving easier than it looks?

For sure the Stuck video is a much faster, more serious lap...but for a lap where you are just enjoying having a high powered (street) car and the skills to handle it, is the RUF vid not a celebration of car control and freedom from tire costs?

It's easy to point out that sliding kills lap times...but when was the last time you just enjoyed the skills you've earned with your track time, rather than just chase a number on a stopwatch?

I agree with the distaste for modern "drifting" as a sport, but this guy is just indulging in his rally experience in exchange for lap time...fun for driver and passengers!

I love the high level driving discussions here, probably the best on the 'net...but I worry you guys don't have enough fun!
I can only speak for myself in saying that he clearly has tremendous skills. I have the utmost respect for thhem, regardless of whether he was hot doggging or not. And yes, I'd love ot have the tire budget to do the same. However, to do this, at the speeds he is going, on a track like the Nordschleife, dressed like you would for an hour on the putting green or picking up hooers on the Las Vegas strip, is insane.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 12-28-2010, 09:55 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I can only speak for myself in saying that he clearly has tremendous skills. I have the utmost respect for thhem, regardless of whether he was hot doggging or not. And yes, I'd love ot have the tire budget to do the same. However, to do this, at the speeds he is going, on a track like the Nordschleife, dressed like you would for an hour on the putting green or picking up hooers on the Las Vegas strip, is insane.

Just remember this was back in the 80's, things were a little different. Also this video helped give Ruf world wide exposure.

I asked him about it, if I remember he kind of smiled and said, sure gets a lot of people watching and talking about the Yellowbird.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
Just remember this was back in the 80's, things were a little different. Also this video helped give Ruf world wide exposure.

I asked him about it, if I remember he kind of smiled and said, sure gets a lot of people watching and talking about the Yellowbird.

LOL! I understand the marketing aspect of it...but helmets did exist in the 80's... Anyway, that's the only basis of my sniping--it sets a bad example for those of us who are instructors & are trying to impress safety on our students.

But WTF do I know? My first & only time on the Nordschleife was driving an armored version of the car below, with 4 of us aboard...and none of us were wearing helmets either!

Old 12-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
But WTF do I know? My first & only time on the Nordschleife was driving an armored version of the car below, with 4 of us aboard...and none of us were wearing helmets either!

At 8,000 lbs it probably didn't go to fast
Old 12-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lemming
At 8,000 lbs it probably didn't go to fast
Down the long hills, it was AWESOME! Actually, truth be told, there was some engine/brake/suspension work done on account of the extra weight. It was pretty fast. It was one of the best sedan armorings I have ever seen.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:35 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Yep, that was the guy! nice car as I remember.

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
Steve Beddor was the guy. It was the car seen above.

It is a Ruf 993 BTR Sport not a Yellowbird.
The Beddors have owned many interesting cars including the short-wheel based Audi Quatro rally cars

Quick Reply: RUF Yellowbird hotlap at Nordschleife