Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior paint, stock or prepared classes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 04:20 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interior paint, stock or prepared classes?

Having Racer's Edge install a cage this week. Just a DE car for now. It is Alpine White. I am thinking about painting the cage, floor, and other bits the same color scheme as the interior (black and mushroom). Two reasons for this - one, I really don't want the interior white for fear of glare. Two, I am thinking that if I put some of the interior back in the car, it would look better if the paint somewhat matched it. Probably will make it semi-gloss.

So has anyone done anything other than the standard match to exterior? If you have, can you post some pictures? I'm just wondering if it is going to look like crap, or if it might look good.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think painting the cage and interior the same color as the car looks the best and cleanest. The vast majority of Porsche factory Cup cars are base white with white interiors. There certainly is no glare problem. Maybe Chris M will post an interior pic of his white car/cage/interior. It looks great.

PCA finally allowed removing the interiors in stock class cars so there is no reason to replace the interior after the cage is finished.
Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2010, 06:07 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by Astroman
PCA finally allowed removing the interiors in stock class cars so there is no reason to replace the interior after the cage is finished.
Self, As in the proper one. Been looking at 2010 rules, and not the new adoptions for 2011. Now as far as that "aesthetically pleasing" rule goes............I think 944's probably have 200 pounds worth of seam sealer, nevermind teh glue!

Thanks for pointing that out. Oh, and making me feel like a dumbass.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:12 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

car is silver
interior is painted cup car white.
no glare.
it can look very nice, you just have to spend lots of time or lots of money.
my int is painted just like exterior, not just flat paint, and can be waxed.
Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 67King
Thanks for pointing that out. Oh, and making me feel like a dumbass.
That was not my intent. Not everybody is up to date on the 2011 rule changes.

And BTW Mooty, your interior looks AWESOME.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:38 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

White is preferable, in my opinion because it makes assembly, trouble shooting and maintenance easier. I would also suggest that if you encounter a situation where the cockpit is clouded (fire) it's easier to make out your safety systems (fire suppression, door handles etc.). I have a stone gray interior and have been in the smoke, a dark interior makes those things disappear. There is no substitute for practicing your safety routine but it's just one more thing that makes sense. I repeat.......this is my opinion.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:04 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by disasterman
White is preferable, in my opinion because it makes assembly, trouble shooting and maintenance easier. I would also suggest that if you encounter a situation where the cockpit is clouded (fire) it's easier to make out your safety systems (fire suppression, door handles etc.). I have a stone gray interior and have been in the smoke, a dark interior makes those things disappear. There is no substitute for practicing your safety routine but it's just one more thing that makes sense. I repeat.......this is my opinion.
That's an interesting piece of insight that I had not considered. I remember when you posted about it (and the cool picture!). Thanks for bringing it up, as well as specifying it to be your opinion.

Thanks all for all of the feedback. Happy to hear glare is not a problem, though I do still worry about the trunk. But I am certainly leaning that way. Need to see how much paint I have left over from last Summer (when I pained it), though I'm sure I'll need at least another pint.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts

Jack:
Looking at your photos has me motivated to get out and start working on mine. Still have the faux RSA carpets in my car. I agree, I like the idea of matching the exterior color.

Would also like to relocate the motronic and cut and lower the seat mounting points.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:34 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Jack:
Looking at your photos has me motivated to get out and start working on mine.

Would also like to relocate the motronic and cut and lower the seat mounting points.
Do it! Here is another pic to inspire you. I too have considered the DME relocation and lowering the seat but it's a decent-sized job...
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2010, 09:59 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Same color as outside is less work. I did the inside hammer finish gray and the outside white and wheel wells and underside black. Lot of masking work. Hammer finish goes on easy, hides all manner of poor final prep and blends well later after changes or rework is done.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

As requested. There is no glare from the white.
Attached Images    
Old 12-20-2010, 01:57 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when I did my car in white, I painted the rear deck flat black to cut down on glare on the rear window. Other than that, no issues.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:44 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chris M.
As requested. There is no glare from the white.
Dear heavens and I thought my car had a lot of glue. Alright, what did you use to remove it? I have found that adhesive remover works pretty well, but that because of all of hte contours, it is much easier to loosen the glue than to actually remove it. Heat gun is helping a lot with the 100 pounds of seam sealer, lacquer thinner is helping as well, and I have a gallon of kerosene I'm about to try. Biggest issue is getting the stuff the bits of fiber and foam up that stayed on the sheet metal, rather than the rubber mat that has been removed.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:22 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An auto body shop owner told me they use the Automotive Paint Reducer. This 1 component of a 3 part paint system. Available at automotive paint suppliers. He said it is a powerful solvent that evaporates slowly compared to laquer thinner or MEK ect. Have fun.

BTW the interior removal is in the 2010 rules. Interior and headliner.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:35 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
That was not my intent. Not everybody is up to date on the 2011 rule changes.

And BTW Mooty, your interior looks AWESOME.
when my wife sees pictures like this when she walks into my office her faces impression changes to true horror - are you going to do THIS to _our_ nice porsche...

Quick Reply: Interior paint, stock or prepared classes?