Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior paint, stock or prepared classes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 05:58 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Paint it a light color, glare is not the issue, heat is. My flat black interior is really hot in the summer months.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:11 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paradisenb
An auto body shop owner told me they use the Automotive Paint Reducer.
Interesting! I'll give it a try tomorrow. I've got almost 2.5 gallons of it from painting at different temperatures. The stuff for the hot weather probably won't evaporate until Spring!
Old 12-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
Dear heavens and I thought my car had a lot of glue. Alright, what did you use to remove it?
I used Goof Off. I poured it into a spray bottle and sprayed it onto the glue then let it sit for a while, maybe 20-30 minutes. Then I would go back with a scraper and it came off easily for the most part, although the thicker it is caked on the more difficult it is to remove. Do small sections at a time.

Do this in a well-ventilated area and wear a mask of some kind, or better yet, pay someone else to do it. It's a bitch of a job but I do like the results.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:58 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

3m adhesive remover on the glue, heat gun putty knife and drill with wire cups on the filler... Crapload of work. If it's a light color the interior should match or white. It is soo much easier to work on and see around in the car if it's light colored...
Old 12-21-2010, 01:43 AM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by J richard
3m adhesive remover on the glue, heat gun putty knife and drill with wire cups on the filler... Crapload of work.
Yep. The heat gun I think is doing the best for me. I have used lacquer thinner and kerosene, as well. I'm actually ALMOST there. I have a very stiff wire brush w/ a 5/8" arbor I have put on my buffer. It is acdtually not working quite as well as I had thought it would. But putty knifes and chisels with a heat gun are doing the trick. I swear I have never seen so much seam sealer in my life. My shop vac has at least 10 pounds of the stuff in it right now.

I haven't touched the glue from the headliner, yet, though. Very thin, nothing like the stuff on the floorpans.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:16 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old hard adhesive remover, available at Home Depot.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:19 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

White car, white interior, custom welded cage is black. Will post pics later, but I did have glare in the rear window, ended up putting a piece of black rubber matting on the rear shelf area to reduce the glare. I spent a good 3 days getting all the sound deadening/foam and glue out. Lots of muscle, heat gun, and Goof Off worked well. It's a bitch of a job no matter what you do.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:44 AM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by linzman
Lots of muscle, heat gun, and Goof Off worked well. It's a bitch of a job no matter what you do.
Yeah, no kidding. Anyone in the Knoxville area have any teenagers in need of a little extra spending cash? The one in our neighborhood moved out.

So the next question is what you do about the blisters on your hands from scraping off the seam sealer!?

I am thinking that I am going to go ahead and paint it all white. If I have a problem with the rear shelf glare (and 944's have big windows!), I'll probably buy a piece of black vinyl synthetic leather like stuff from Michael's, and glue it down. Using the glue sparingly, of course.

Thanks for all of the feedback, everyone. Here's the car.
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2011, 08:16 AM
67King
Race Car

Thanks to all for the opinions. Very glad y'all talked me into just painting it white. And I should have known myself this well, but "while I was at it......" I did a bit more (like gutted all unnecessary electrical stuff like window motors and wiring, HVAC box, fiberglass dash). After seeing carreracoupe997's pictures of his car, thought I might post some of mine. And FWIW, I'll be at the DE at Road Atlanta next weekend, too. Racer's Edge did the cage, and a GREAT job with it, too! Black stuff is epoxy primer, then it was sealed, then painted Alpine White to match the rest of the car.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:48 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I like the way they fit that front cross bar under the dash.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:06 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by gums
I think I like the way they fit that front cross bar under the dash.
They did a GREAT job on this cage. Karl's fabricator has done several of these, and has been tweaking on the design for a while. The cross bar is completely behind the dash, the halo bar is flush with the roof (the bottom is flush with the reinforcement where the visors and courtesy lights all attach), the bars following the A-pillar are slightly forward of the door opening. Ingress and egress is like a dream with this cage, even with the steering wheel in place. I've got several pictures up if you want to see more: http://s569.photobucket.com/albums/s...sche%20stuff/#

Quick Reply: Interior paint, stock or prepared classes?