Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The cure for understeer

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 09:11 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

because of the relatively slow speed (compared to airplanes) I dont think that the air direction diversion and turbulence would probably straighten itself out by the time it got to the rear of the car.
There are only two problems I see with the front wing. It would be drag, balance and looks (or even danger for wheel to wheel racing). So, if you tune it, and have the HP, its not a big deal and certainly could and does help. just look at the times these cars are rippng around. right around GT1-GT2 ALMS times as they are now, on DOTs!!

Mk

Originally Posted by winders
There many reasons why front wings would not be a good thing.

Obviously implemented properly, front wings do work. Formula 1 cars are great examples of this. But, front wings in Formula 1 start to lose their effectiveness as they are raise away from the ground.

In the example shown in this thread, I have to believe that the fronts wings, even if they do help front down force, are causing a real problem by disrupting the airflow over the cars and quite possibly making the rear wing a lot less effective in the process.

Anybody do any work in a wind tunnel with those front wings?

Scott
Old 12-11-2010, 09:38 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 5:04
In that picture it's FWD. In it's current form it's awd but with a much less flamboyant fwing

This is the AWD version.

That car being fwd ran a buttonwillow #13 record time of 1:46.736
They have two cars.

The black one is FWD and the white one is AWD.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Evan Fullerton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Scion is/was as I hear it is now AWD pushing well over 1000hp through the front wheels. When pushing that much power he needed the front wing for traction. I talked to Chris a little at an event they were running the car at last year and when they need it, it is pushing 54psi of boost. Supposedly the aero concept was designed by a professional aerodynamics who exclusively works with race cars so I wouldn't spend too much time debating if it works or not as that car hold pretty much all the FWD lap records on West Coast track.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:50 PM
wanna911
Race Car

They have been running both versions of the car at multiple events now. They ran both at Road Atlanta in August, and then again when he went to NASA nationals and the engine blew on the FWD one. I don't know if they converted the FWD to AWD too. But I know those are not the same car pictured.

More info here: He set his lap time (of 1:26.xxx) in the FWD one, but tested the AWD one for a few laps before some problems surfaced.

http://www.timeattackforums.com/foru...d-atlanta.html
Old 12-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by wanna911
They have been running both versions of the car at multiple events now. They ran both at Road Atlanta in August, and then again when he went to NASA nationals and the engine blew on the FWD one.
Yeah, that's my point. I can't get too worked up about these grenade motored cars. With lots of HP and lots of wing you can get a radio flyer to go fast. These Time Attack cars are a little too specialized for me. Like I said, make them last for 2 hours on the track with other cars and then I am impressed.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:46 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Yeah, that's my point. I can't get too worked up about these grenade motored cars. With lots of HP and lots of wing you can get a radio flyer to go fast. These Time Attack cars are a little too specialized for me. Like I said, make them last for 2 hours on the track with other cars and then I am impressed.

I ran against him a couple of years ago. Mind you my car has hit 169 mph on the back straight at Road Atlanta. He flat out left me on the back straight. Probably 185-190 mph. That's LMP speeds right there.

Blew a motor that session.

Had a fresh one in it by the first session the next day.

I always chalked it up to the platform he's starting with. I'm sure the Scion motor (if that's what's in there) isn't the most stout. Plus with his drag racing credentials with nos and crazy motors I'm sure they blown more than their fair share.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:41 AM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good for them for pushing the limits...

Is the team that built this car limited to what platform they can start on?

I wonder what kind of lap times you can achieve if you took a current Porsche, Ferrari, Audi, Corvette etc. platforms to the same limits of preperation...

Quick Reply: The cure for understeer