Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great Deal at Safe Racer

Old 11-28-2010, 09:18 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
It's not all bad once you know how to work it.

I got it 2 years ago and they have gotten better.

It's just that people asked me often about my "Flatout" video's on youtube and how I get data and film and I would answer them with what I have, thereby selling for Traqmate. Their slogun used to be "Timing made easy" that was BS, now it is "Learn to go faster" I think.

Anyway, I like what it does, but it is very counter intuitive software and the manual and tech support forum suck. very slow and lot's of technical terms.
Without help you will throw it against the wall in frustration.

Manuals were terrible, did get better. When I asked about better manual 2 years ago, they insisted it was fine. OK.

Now that I have a dealer within an hour drive I am fine. basically it is OK stuff, but I am just warning people that if you are not very technical like me, you better have a friend or a good dealer near by who will help you out during the first track weekend, or be prepared to be frustrated.

Even when you know how it works it can be time consuming to merge data and film, other systems might just be easier to use.

If you buy, pay for training and install and make them help you do a lap (Around the block if you will), learn how to look at data, have them merge a video with you and have them upload it to Youtube, etc. There is trouble and surprises every step of the way, if you don't know how to work around the issues you'll get stuck..
Oh geez....there has to be something out there that is easy to use. I hear about Traqmate scares me....last thing I want to do is spend thousnads of $$$ and not be able to use it. No dealers in Tampa either.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:23 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I am really surprised to hear people say this about Traqmate. I am pretty computer illiterate, and have been using it since 2006 with no problems whatsoever. It is as "plug and play" as I can imagine. I've used it in 2 cars now, and it has been great. I've been able to compare laps that friends have sent to me, and it takes about 30 secs to download and open the comparison laps.
No affiliation...just a satisfied customer...
Old 11-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,400 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
I am really surprised to hear people say this about Traqmate. I am pretty computer illiterate, and have been using it since 2006 with no problems whatsoever. It is as "plug and play" as I can imagine. I've used it in 2 cars now, and it has been great. I've been able to compare laps that friends have sent to me, and it takes about 30 secs to download and open the comparison laps.

Yup. Agree 100%.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 11-28-2010, 06:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Yup. Agree 100%.
You've been syncing video with that data for 4 years??
Just looking at data it is OK to use and it has gotten easier over the years to sync data with video.

Still recommending HD camera's and then telling me HD is not supported by their studio software until months later is a bit iffy and that was earlier this year and a bit embarrassing for the dealer who sold it to me.

The dealer is great, but still more then an hours' drive away and with his help (He can call Traqmate directly.) everything got sorted out.
Also, once you know what does not work and they tell you the work around, it is no longer a big deal but such info was impossible to come by for the first years.

For example, if you happen to record in a format it does not like, you click on "write video" and the button just does not work, no way to know why.

On my (crappy, slow) laptop, it still takes 2 hours to merge 8 minutes of data and video, then I have to re-save it 8 hours in Movie maker to have a file that will upload on Youtube. I'm sure there is another way, I just finally found a way that works and don't know the better way.

We've had no local support until 6 months ago. .

I sell software for a living, so not that technical, but not completely ignorant either.
The software I sell is as counter intuative as Traqmate, but my forum does not take minutes to load per page and if I have a frustrated customer I don't deny him access, my support people answer within hours..

My manuals suck as well, but I don't pretend they don't, we just answer all questions quickly and post lots of helpful tips on the forum.

I think there are easier systems out there, but can't say they are better because I have only owned Traqmate. The end results of my Flatout video's are cool and a good tool in addition to just looking at data..
Old 11-28-2010, 07:11 PM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I picked one up this past spring with video, and use the Sony 150 they recommended. You push the button and everything starts up and overlaying the video with data is easy, after your do it a few times. Software is not very intuitive and manuals are OK at best. Only issue I had was getting the RPM hookup to work and if you search here you will find the answers. They are great fun, waive one in - get the video....
Old 11-28-2010, 08:22 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yup. Agree 100%.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Velcro and zip ties. It was in. It is pretty cool.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:54 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Just an FYI, I tried to buy a HANS device and they would not honor the 15% discount at Safe Racer.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

They can't do discounts on HANS. Noone can. Part of the contract with HubbardDowning.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:30 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

coupon code no longer seems to work on either site.

Anyone know where to save $ on a GoPro HD Camera??? Seems like everyone is selling it for $299

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Great Deal at Safe Racer