Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more lead wheel weights ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010 | 01:04 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm not highly charged about this as others here because there is already an alternative and it will be replaced with other metals. Not a big deal.

IIRC, there is a ban on a material used in brake pads coming out too. Being the ingenious humans we are, we'll probably find a better substance to use in pads that may be even better.

As long as there are alternatives, I'm okay. It's when there is no alternative or at least not yet and there is government regulation prohibiting something is when we should get up in arms.
Old 11-04-2010 | 01:09 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pete
I'm not highly charged about this as others here because there is already an alternative and it will be replaced with other metals. Not a big deal.

IIRC, there is a ban on a material used in brake pads coming out too. Being the ingenious humans we are, we'll probably find a better substance to use in pads that may be even better.

As long as there are alternatives, I'm okay. It's when there is no alternative or at least not yet and there is government regulation prohibiting something is when we should get up in arms.
+1
Old 11-04-2010 | 05:19 PM
TR6
Drifting

You guys balance your wheels? So that's what I've been doing wrong.
Old 11-04-2010 | 05:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
You guys balance your wheels? So that's what I've been doing wrong.

Only the steering wheel. It's the key to driving flatout.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 11-04-2010 | 05:45 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

You guys should see how much lead weights my dealership goes through a year. The non led weights work just fine and the same as the lead ones do. Lead and oxide is a bitch. Unless the weights are carefully sorted out and recycled they can end up in the dump or being burned in trash burning power plants. This is the end result of a lead weight that ends up in the trash around here. it gwets burned up and goes into the air where it ends up in the water soil and food.
Old 11-04-2010 | 06:25 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Around here, lead weights are gone. The substitute is physically larger and twice as expensive.
Old 11-04-2010 | 06:46 PM
spare tire
Racer

As wheels spin atoms of lead fly off into the atmosphere and we breath them in and die. It is a good thing our government is on top of this problem.
Old 11-04-2010 | 07:06 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ecology 101 guys, think about it: the lead weights eventually get into our waterways and thus we end up drinking it. Or fish end up living in high-lead waters, and then we eat them. So it's not that we are eating our wheel weights (duh!!), it's that other critters do, or they are left to live in our garbage in waterways. If we can switch to a material less toxic, that is the responsible thing to do. This is not arbitrary regulation. This is a well-known problem with an easy solution.
Old 11-04-2010 | 07:14 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Must be wheel weights
Old 11-04-2010 | 07:18 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by AlpharettaRK
3M has had a lead-free tape-weight system that we've been selling for about 3 years now. The stuff comes in long rolls and you actually can cut the it to exactly the weight you want. It probably costs about twice as much per wheel, but there is no waste and it's not significant compared to the price of tires. And if 3M can do it at this price the generic stuff will be even cheaper. No big deal.
Cheers
Randy
You're screwing up a lot of good political ranting. Please use PMs.
Old 11-04-2010 | 07:25 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

I likez my lead and also my asbestos lined coffee cup...and thalidomide...bring on the thalidomide...oh and creosote...nothin wrong with some good ole hazardous substances. come one...i am sure we can find a way to do without. let's talk about race cars instead.
Old 11-04-2010 | 07:34 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Stop whining about lead ending up in things. Remember, it's all natural - comes straight from the Earth.
Old 11-04-2010 | 07:45 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

Just more needless intrusion into everyday life by unelected drones who need to justify their 6 figure salaries + lifetime pensions & taxpayer paid health care by "doing something".
Yep
Old 11-04-2010 | 07:49 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm more concerned about the elimination of lead in solder on circuit boards than wheel weights.
Old 11-04-2010 | 07:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I'm more concerned about the elimination of lead in solder on circuit boards than wheel weights.
+^ eleventh billion.

The military will never go to lead free, medical electronics are exempt, but not for much longer.

RoHS sucks

Quick Reply: No more lead wheel weights ?