SCCA classes 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 01:41 AM
RPetty
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCCA classes 2011?

Hey,

Who would know the next scca class (for licensing) something near Monterey Ca.

Looking into to start racing in the coming year...

Thanks
Old 11-04-2010, 10:12 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

http://www.scca.com/events.aspx?hub=1

Try this link. If for some reason it doesn't work, go to SCCA.com and click Club Racing and then Club Racing Events and filter for driving schools. Great fun!

-- Mindy
Old 11-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want the SCCA school this year it was in March at Thunderhil. I don't think it will change for next year. If you really want to do a school for an SCCA license and Laguna Seca then Skip Barber 3 day is your only choice.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:34 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

The SCCA school in March at Thunderhill is the only one around......I plan on going to that one too!
Old 11-04-2010, 03:01 PM
RPetty
Racer

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
The SCCA school in March at Thunderhill is the only one around......I plan on going to that one too!
Brian,

I plan to see you there then.

I should be back up and running by then..

Rick
Old 11-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And don't forget the other options in Northern California - racing with PRC (NASA) or PCA. PRC has ~8 race weekends per year and for the last two years PCA has had 3. NASA licensing is pretty straight forward and no special 'school' is required to get started. PCA licensing is more of a pain than NASA. In either case, the assumption is that you have significant DE experience and good car control skills.

If you are a bit worried about experience, NCRC does racing too (as ARC) and they are nice, low-key races for a beginner (in my experience, it's where I started a number of years ago).
Old 11-04-2010, 08:17 PM
RPetty
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom W
And don't forget the other options in Northern California - racing with PRC (NASA) or PCA. PRC has ~8 race weekends per year and for the last two years PCA has had 3. NASA licensing is pretty straight forward and no special 'school' is required to get started. PCA licensing is more of a pain than NASA. In either case, the assumption is that you have significant DE experience and good car control skills.

If you are a bit worried about experience, NCRC does racing too (as ARC) and they are nice, low-key races for a beginner (in my experience, it's where I started a number of years ago).
Thanks Tom,

I have run with:
PCA GGR
NCRC
Hooked on Driving
Speedventures
Green Flag
Shelby Club
Louts Club
Honda Club

all this for about 6 years

so..... I thinks its time
Old 11-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Rick! Good to see you again. I see you've moved.

- Kim
Old 11-05-2010, 01:54 AM
RPetty
Racer

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
Hey Rick! Good to see you again. I see you've moved.

- Kim
Hey Kim,

How are you?
PM me sometime...

Would be great to see you again!!

Best

Rick
Old 11-05-2010, 06:50 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

I think its a good idea to get the SCCA school out of the way in march as that license is usually respected with the other organizations. get a few races under your belt. Ill be out there to show you around the gang, and you will be fine. you have a lot of track experience compared to the average guy that comes out of the usual race cert. classes.
cant wait to see that yellow bomber out there!
Old 11-05-2010, 07:00 PM
RPetty
Racer

Right on!
Old 11-05-2010, 07:03 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A couple of things to be aware of...

You need 2 SCCA schools. Some of the schools are doubles and satisfy that requirement. Make sure you know if this is a single or double school.

You NEED NEED NEED to have someone with you to take care of the car. The SCCA schedule if very full. You will do a session on track, and then debrief with your instructor. You will be hustling to find time to pee, and will not have time to take care of the car.

With all your track experience, there is something to be aware of, and I say this as an SCCA licensing instructor - I have seen it many times. You will likely be very fast and run at the front of the closed wheel group. But you must realize that (unless you have previous racing experience) you have no experience with multiple cars trying to occupy the same space. There is a lot of new stuff going on and experienced DE drivers are often distracted by the racecraft items and have lots of offs and struggle to actually drive. People with lots of DE experience tend to be either the best or the worst students in the licensing class. Bring the speed down a notch or two as you get used to the racing environment.

Have fun and be safe. The criteria to pass is that you can run a decent speed but more importantly, you are safe in a racing situation. Your instructors will soon be on track with you and that is the basis to decide if you pass. Very few people fail, but some do.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:23 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

I ran with nasa a few years ago, because I needed an event to do that time attack for fun one year. the point is, I saw a lot of really good drivers out there wheeling their cars around. lots of traffic, but most everyone was completely oblivious to cars around them (to your point) . I think because the group of guys I DE'ed with all knew eachother, and our purpose to be out there was to "race" our buddies. if noone was around, we would hot pit the car and wait for traffic. anyway, it was really good training for racing, because it was mostly all about traffic and car awareness. when I started to race, the traffic and movements were not any surprise. I think Rick will be in this kind of mind set. gentleman DE'ing, he cares about his car, competitive but checks his ego at the door. He will do fine, is my bet. But, good advice!

Now, remember, he is driving a 928, so there is no car care needed per race day.

Mk

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
A couple of things to be aware of...

You need 2 SCCA schools. Some of the schools are doubles and satisfy that requirement. Make sure you know if this is a single or double school.

You NEED NEED NEED to have someone with you to take care of the car. The SCCA schedule if very full. You will do a session on track, and then debrief with your instructor. You will be hustling to find time to pee, and will not have time to take care of the car.

With all your track experience, there is something to be aware of, and I say this as an SCCA licensing instructor - I have seen it many times. You will likely be very fast and run at the front of the closed wheel group. But you must realize that (unless you have previous racing experience) you have no experience with multiple cars trying to occupy the same space. There is a lot of new stuff going on and experienced DE drivers are often distracted by the racecraft items and have lots of offs and struggle to actually drive. People with lots of DE experience tend to be either the best or the worst students in the licensing class. Bring the speed down a notch or two as you get used to the racing environment.

Have fun and be safe. The criteria to pass is that you can run a decent speed but more importantly, you are safe in a racing situation. Your instructors will soon be on track with you and that is the basis to decide if you pass. Very few people fail, but some do.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:34 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RPetty
Brian,

I plan to see you there then.

I should be back up and running by then..

Rick
Rick
The bummer is I can't use my 928 for the school since its an automatic and they won't accept it.....so I might end up renting a miata for the class...

Then I can race with NASA in GTS class...just like you could too!! We could have 928's in GTS2 (me)...you in GTS3, Sean in GTS4 and Kibort in GTS5....That would rock!! 4 928's in 1 race....plus Larry would be around in ST1 too...5 928's at one race weekend!!

Don't worry about track support...I will have a mechanic all weekend and Sean also might make it down for the school too...so there could be another 928 there too! Sean & I also have a garage at Thunderhill too...we share it with some other guys on the list....so there would be a place to hangout too

Its March 3-5 and the cost is $625 if you pay by January.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:07 PM
RPetty
Racer

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
Rick
The bummer is I can't use my 928 for the school since its an automatic and they won't accept it.....so I might end up renting a miata for the class...

Then I can race with NASA in GTS class...just like you could too!! We could have 928's in GTS2 (me)...you in GTS3, Sean in GTS4 and Kibort in GTS5....That would rock!! 4 928's in 1 race....plus Larry would be around in ST1 too...5 928's at one race weekend!!

Don't worry about track support...I will have a mechanic all weekend and Sean also might make it down for the school too...so there could be another 928 there too! Sean & I also have a garage at Thunderhill too...we share it with some other guys on the list....so there would be a place to hangout too

Its March 3-5 and the cost is $625 if you pay by January.

Iceman

I think its
March 11-13th...

FYI

Rick

Quick Reply: SCCA classes 2011?