Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad day at Black Rock (CMP)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010 | 03:50 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

The engine, clutch and transmission have been raced very actively for for 5 years with only one blown head gasket, a valve job and no other mechanical problems. The transmission may be OK, but I won't know until I change the clutch.
Old 11-01-2010 | 04:04 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by f1rocks
You gotta talk Repka into coming I don't go anywhere without my wing man

I'll probably come down and watch or help crew for anyone needing some help. I don't think I can get the suspension re-indexed by then. I'd really like to race at Barber sometime next year though.
There are a few racers, including myself, that could use some help with the enduro on Saturday!

Are you sure that you are blowing the CV's because the car is too low? Any chance that your transmission is moving? I had that issue till I mounted a support that kept the tranny from moving laterally.
Old 11-01-2010 | 04:17 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I was the one that was directly behind Bill when he threw his alternator. Once I get my video sorted out, I'll post it. broke my splitter and cracked my lower front bumper, but that's all, only slowed me down for about half a lap as I listened to hear what might have been damaged. Otherwise, I had a great weekend (sorry guys that didn't).

Started the COMBINED enduro 19th, finished 6th. Did OK on all three sprints - never lost but never gained positions.

We got home last night, had some dinner, and fell asleep at 8pm. I unloaded everything this morning.

thanks everyone that made it down. Hope to see all of you, and more, next year!

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 11-01-2010 | 07:54 PM
mrepka
Instructor

Originally Posted by johntorg
I had a bad weekend racing at Carolina Motorsports Park...
Sorry you had so many problems. Attrition was pretty bad on Friday (Me included), but much better as the Saturday and Sunday.

Originally Posted by Chris M.
...and almost had my front wheel come off during the third race because I forgot to torque them that morning (DNF #2)...
Man you should have seen that thing wobble from the outside, when I went by in 12 I was like "WHOA!!! Not good". As you said, I'm glad you got in on the trailer with all the parts more or less attached still

Originally Posted by naroescape
thanks everyone that made it down. Hope to see all of you, and more, next year!
Thanks to you and Nadine for all the hard work, it was a great event, we could not have asked for nicer weather, the special Halloween touches were fun, and the southern hospitality from all the folks was excellent, you got a great group of folks down there. It all made it well worth the long haul from Wisconsin.
Old 11-01-2010 | 09:54 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrepka
Man you should have seen that thing wobble from the outside, when I went by in 12 I was like "WHOA!!! Not good". As you said, I'm glad you got in on the trailer with all the parts more or less attached still
Is there an emoticon for "I am a moron"? Here, I'll try this one.

It was great meeting you and Brent, and to everyone else, if you are ever at the track and need a CV boot changed, these guys have lots of practice!
Old 11-01-2010 | 11:58 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

The aforementioned alternator...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJdlI_xvaOQ

I'll take a position however I can get it
Old 11-02-2010 | 09:18 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Nice....see my car hop? What are you using as a video camera? very clear!

Here's what it looked like from my view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzZLjBv19N4

Last edited by NaroEscape; 11-02-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-02-2010 | 10:01 AM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

An Aiptek HD-can't-remember-the-model-number. It did take great video, and that's past tense as it died during the second race. I don't think it liked the vibrations in a race car. I always had problems with the batteries monentarily losing contact making it shut off. Now it's just plain dead. So I'm in the market for a new camaera.
Bob - thanks for passing me there. If I had been on-line it would have been my front end torn up!
Cheers
Randy
Old 11-02-2010 | 12:21 PM
67King
Race Car

Sorry to hear of the brake problems...should have come seen me, I had everything but the brake lines for a 951 in the trailer right down to the proportioning valve...might have found something that could have helped.
I was actually at Road Atlanta for DE, and as you can attest, that place has an appetite for 944's of all shapes and sizes. I had assumed it was my calipers, as I upgraded to S calipers/rotors after teh August DE after I had them go out on me (also added cooling ducts). For various reasons, I was unable to shake the car out after doing all of the things I did to it after August (new turbo, rod bearings, etc.....).

Anyway, after sourcing another set of S calipers, and having it not fix the problem, I took it up to Chris Smith Racing, who looked at it, and came to conclude that it was a bad master cylinder. When I found one of those, it took me a while to get to it (heat shield - ), and to make the last session, I would have had to rush it. Anything but brakes and I would have tried, but I don't want to push it with brake issues.

Of course, last week, my group was to include 4 951's. The red one that belongs to my father-in-law that was pitted across from you in March, another one that is a friend of ours (Rick), JoshB's, and mine. Hal wasn't able to get his back together after blowing the motor in August, after finishing off the brakes on mine with new pads and a flush I found my problems, Rick cracked a cylinder wall on the first session, and JoshB's engine let go on the last session on Sunday.

As stated earlier, 25 year old cars beget problems.

Hal might make Roebling if you go. Otherwise, we'll probably see you again in March. Your buddy from Minnesota going to come down again?
Old 11-02-2010 | 01:36 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 67King
Hal might make Roebling if you go. Otherwise, we'll probably see you again in March. Your buddy from Minnesota going to come down again?
Mr. Repka and I are currently in "negotiations" to see if we can do Roebling and get ready (also afford) to do Sebring as well. We'd love to head down and support Mr. Linville and see those purdy purple wheels again Remember RA is in April now.

I vote no split starts though!!
Old 11-02-2010 | 02:49 PM
67King
Race Car

Remember RA is in April now.
Bah, it rains in April, too!
Old 11-02-2010 | 03:23 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Yikes, that hit on the front of Bob's car sounded bad.
Old 11-02-2010 | 03:57 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Yikes, that hit on the front of Bob's car sounded bad.
Yep, the hit in T14 was not terrible, but cracked the fiberglass...
Attached Images   
Old 11-02-2010 | 08:24 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Just to add to the carnage pics, here's my crossmember and clutch.
Attached Images   
Old 11-02-2010 | 09:12 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

While I've got you attention: I was shocked to find that a new spring center Sachs clutch disc, like the one in my picture costs around $350. Since the Sachs disc is nothing special, I was wondering what other alternatives there are that:

1. Are Cheaper or

2. Are stronger

Vertex sells a supposedly better disc for $199 does anyone have experience with it?

What about 4 or 6 puck clutches? Kevlar?

I don't mind spending the $350 (plus throughout bearing, pilot bearing, cutting the flywheel etc), but I'd rather get something better than a "plain vanilla" overpriced clutch disc.

Quick Reply: Bad day at Black Rock (CMP)