Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

PCA race format?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 12:43 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dougdep
as usual i agree with Kevin. Dilution??? for what?? racing is for fun, the more the merrier, better bang for your buck for the weekend. if i wanted to do 2 races for a weekend and sit around all day i would go do NASA events. its mind boggling that people complain that there are TOO many races in a weekend.
Fully Agree. The more, the merrier. But I do favor the following:

- Races be held on Saturday and Sunday. Friday is for testing and setup; or to miss in case you cant miss work or other duties.
- Prefer Sprints to Enduros. Most of us race street derived racecars that are not engineered/built as endurance racecars. The stress on the cars and all its components driving at 10/10ths is exponentially higher with the duration of the race. Longer races are just a lot more expensive and reliability/luck plays a major factor.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

How about a 90-119 minute enduro on Saturday and 3 sprints on Sunday. That way you run as many as you want and all you miss is a sprint if you want to get on the road early.

Cgomez - sorry to see your car at Summit, hopefully it is on the mend?
Old 10-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I normally race with HSR wehre we have 2 (if you race Porsche's 3) sprints and 1 enduro (minimum). THe enduros are the most popular.

Next event we have 3 sprints, 1 night race, 1 hour enduro and 4 hour enduro. You have not raced until you do a 3 or more hour race....!
Old 10-12-2010, 01:07 PM
TREMPER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Personnally I like the 3 sprint/one enduro format for the smaller tracks of about 2 miles in length. I feel the enduro should be limited to one hour for several reasons..no need to refuel which saves on getting a "pit" crew together, eliminated the hasards associated with your "pit" crew refueling a hot car with hot rotors and 90 minutes is a long time on equipment and driver. So if Carlos at approx. 35 years old gets tired what about us senior citizens.
On the bigger tracks like WGI, the time limitation and the Friday rookie day, forces a two sprint race format. I buy an extra hour of track time on Friday and Saturday to force fit all that needs to be done with a four race group format. There is no time for quailfing on Saturday with this format, so we "qualify" on the third practice on Friday.
I think the 90 minute enduro is OK on the larger tracks but foolish on the 2 mile tracks...60 laps is a little much on the smaller tracks versus 40 for the one hr enduro which also would be 40 laps for 90 minutes at WGI.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:41 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TREMPER
I think the 90 minute enduro is OK on the larger tracks but foolish on the 2 mile tracks...60 laps is a little much on the smaller tracks versus 40 for the one hr enduro which also would be 40 laps for 90 minutes at WGI.
Pete, i agree with this. That's why I don't necessarily care that much about enduros on shorter local tracks. But at WGI, Road America and Sebring, we should explore the 2 to 3 hour enduros for sure. That'd be awesome.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by U4EEAH
Races count? Count for what? There is no prize money or "championship". Club racing is for fun !!!!! We attend as many races as schedules and budgets allow. Seems to me the more races available per event the more fun. I vote for 3 sprints and one 90 min enduro. Don't have the tires or inclination to do them all? Cherry pick what suits you the best. Worried that someone will do them all and get more "Rennpoints" than you? Go SCCA racing
How will I become the Rennpoints E Class National Champion if I don't do all the races??

its mind boggling that people complain that there are TOO many races in a weekend.
Agreed, and what's the big deal about replacing one of the practice sessions with a sprint race, yielding 3 instead of 2 for the weekend, ala CMP (which some of you duds need to sign up for)?

Originally Posted by FredC
Pete, i agree with this. That's why I don't necessarily care that much about enduros on shorter local tracks. But at WGI, Road America and Sebring, we should explore the 2 to 3 hour enduros for sure. That'd be awesome.
I like the idea of enduros at the longer tracks, but I don't like the idea of a 1000 mile tow for one sprint race.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:38 PM
U4EEAH
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personnally I like the 3 sprint/one enduro format for the smaller tracks of about 2 miles in length. I feel the enduro should be limited to one hour for several reasons..no need to refuel which saves on getting a "pit" crew together, eliminated the hasards associated with your "pit" crew refueling a hot car with hot rotors and 90 minutes is a long time on equipment and driver. So if Carlos at approx. 35 years old gets tired what about us senior citizens.
On the bigger tracks like WGI, the time limitation and the Friday rookie day, forces a two sprint race format. I buy an extra hour of track time on Friday and Saturday to force fit all that needs to be done with a four race group format. There is no time for quailfing on Saturday with this format, so we "qualify" on the third practice on Friday.

Only flaw in that, Pete, is a number of cars can't quite make 60 min. on one tank of fuel, so those guys have to spend $5000. on a bigger fuel cell or give up the enduros
Old 10-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Only flaw in that, Pete, is a number of cars can't quite make 60 min. on one tank of fuel, so those guys have to spend $5000. on a bigger fuel cell or give up the enduros
They were talking about allowing re-fuel in the 60 minute enduros, did that ever come to be?
Old 10-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, 60 minutes is enough on small tracks like Putnam. I'm not sure a 120 minute enduro would interest me by myself... But Chris and I have had some awesome fun co-driving together. I suspect we would co-drive a 120 minute enduro.

I also agree that one sprint is pretty pitiful when it takes me 10 hours to get to Road America. But I also recognize that the schedule is tight at the huge races especially when there are 1-2 DE groups in the mix.

No offense to anyone, but I feel like the racers who usually prefer the "non-diluted" one sprint/one enduro format are the same people who usually win races. Is it that you don't want to defend your victory?
Old 10-12-2010, 08:16 PM
mrepka
Instructor

Or we don't have trackside support to help re-fuel.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

There's always golf...or you could buy a cool shirt. Wait, you own one but refuse to use it!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:24 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Races count? Count for what? There is no prize money or "championship". Club racing is for fun !!!!! We attend as many races as schedules and budgets allow. Seems to me the more races available per event the more fun. I vote for 3 sprints and one 90 min enduro. Don't have the tires or inclination to do them all? Cherry pick what suits you the best. Worried that someone will do them all and get more "Rennpoints" than you? Go SCCA racing
Not worried about Rennpoints or anything of the like I just find that having one per day to prepare for is more fun. I prepare the car, there's the anticipation before the day, I get psych'd up to qualify, I qualify, I get psych'd to race, I race. Its a progression, and all of the day matters. Since everything matters, when you do well, its a real accomplishment. I go to a race weekend to compete and do as well as i can.

Oh, and if anyone is just worried about rennpoints, only the last sprint race counts anyway .
Old 10-12-2010, 09:37 PM
U4EEAH
Racer

Originally Posted by 38D
Not worried about Rennpoints or anything of the like I just find that having one per day to prepare for is more fun. I prepare the car, there's the anticipation before the day, I get psych'd up to qualify, I qualify, I get psych'd to race, I race. Its a progression, and all of the day matters. Since everything matters, when you do well, its a real accomplishment. I go to a race weekend to compete and do as well as i can.

Oh, and if anyone is just worried about rennpoints, only the last sprint race counts anyway .
I do agree about the progression, which is why I like real qualifying, and HATE "fastest lap from any practice" . Guess i "want it all"
Old 10-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There are so many ways to answer this question. A big part of the answer involves the number of race groups. My ideal weekend would be:

Saturday:
Warmup
Qual
Race 1
Race 2

Sunday:
Warmup
Enduro

This year at The Glen, there were 4 race groups so Sprint qualifying got tossed and qualification was based upon Practice 3 times. I was happy with that. I like Qualifying, but I'd rather have a 2nd race.

The one thing I really HATE is wasting track time for Enduro qualifying. I'm just as happy using the fastest lap time from the Sprint to set the Enduro grid.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:13 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Dilution??? for what?? racing is for fun, the more the merrier, better bang for your buck for the weekend. if i wanted to do 2 races for a weekend and sit around all day i would go do NASA events. its mind boggling that people complain that there are TOO many races in a weekend.
Dilution on time, is one aspect. Too many races make them too short. Look at Summit, where our first sprint was 9 laps. WTF? With every race comes overhead between sessions where we all lose track time.

Fewer, longer races is my vote. And real qualifying. Leave Friday as practice day.

Quick Reply: PCA race format?