Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sebring Winterfest and 48hoursatsebring

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 05:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

My thoughts..It's doable, at least once LOL.

I don't know about flatout, but I can go faster through bishops.
Problem is that if I do I can't get the car stopped for 15 and it slows down the 15 to 16 part and that is critical for a fast lap, I really like to take 15 a little slow so I can keep it smooth and floored in forth to get the braking just right for 16.

Plus if you screw up it hurts a lot and I have seen too many wrecks there.

When I look at lap 4 the line is pretty sloppy through 10-11 and 13 but I got lucky that the car just hooked up / rotated right and I caught the apexes pretty OK.

My theoretical best lap is an 2:188..
Old 01-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
My thoughts..It's doable, at least once LOL.

I don't know about flatout, but I can go faster through bishops.
Problem is that if I do I can't get the car stopped for 15 and it slows down the 15 to 16 part and that is critical for a fast lap, I really like to take 15 a little slow so I can keep it smooth and floored in forth to get the braking just right for 16.

Plus if you screw up it hurts a lot and I have seen too many wrecks there.

When I look at lap 4 the line is pretty sloppy through 10-11 and 13 but I got lucky that the car just hooked up / rotated right and I caught the apexes pretty OK.

My theoretical best lap is an 2:188..
Peter, first of all, it was very nice to finally meet you. Sorry we didn't have more time to visit, but I was working with 3 coaching clients, including 2 with whom I was on the radio, as when we met.

First of all, your call WILL stop there, especially with RA1's. What a lot of folks get sucked into in 15 if feeling like they need to bring the car all the way to the left to brake & turn into 15. In reality, let the car go where it wants to go there. if you're really hauling the mail, you may end up only 2/3 of the way track left. That is ok, because more speed through Bishops is a real differentiator.

In addition, I agree with Glen regarding not needing to be so wide entering 17, but that does not necessitate hitting the really nasty bump. If you adjust your angle of attack from the back straight towards the end of the wall entering 17, you can be tighter w/o the nasty bump.

I do notice you're in 3rd for the hairpin & 4th for 16. Why? In the hairpin, your revs drop near 3k, which is a bit out of the power for your car. Why not go to 2nd? And in 16, why not be in 3rd for a better launch in the powerband? Each of those is arguably worth 0.5 to 1.0 seconds in ideal conditions, IMO.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 01-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
Nice seeing u out there Dave...
Likewise, Bob. Thanks for all your help & support of The Guys!

Old 01-17-2011, 06:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Peter, first of all, it was very nice to finally meet you. Sorry we didn't have more time to visit, but I was working with 3 coaching clients, including 2 with whom I was on the radio, as when we met.
Nice to shake hands as well, no problem maybe next time when you might be leisurely racing instead of coaching triple duty..

First of all, your call WILL stop there, especially with RA1's. What a lot of folks get sucked into in 15 if feeling like they need to bring the car all the way to the left to brake & turn into 15. In reality, let the car go where it wants to go there. if you're really hauling the mail, you may end up only 2/3 of the way track left. That is ok, because more speed through Bishops is a real differentiator.
Agreed on the 2/3rd to the right and I do it to pass cars but the car really hooked up nice, without LSD I used to end up 2/3 at a rate of speed that I think is not to fast to stop the car enough.
With LSD it just rotates nice and I still end up left, there just seems no reason to let it drift right. The car might go faster and get 15 OK, but I don't think I can. I used to lose a ton of laptime screwing up 15 getting it sideways and yes, I let it go all the way to the left on track out T15.

In addition, I agree with Glen regarding not needing to be so wide entering 17, but that does not necessitate hitting the really nasty bump. If you adjust your angle of attack from the back straight towards the end of the wall entering 17, you can be tighter w/o the nasty bump.
Yes, I'm chicken, I should be right next to the wall at the entrance at T17. Occasionally the car trail brakes a bit more then intended and I am not some comfortable to aim too close at 140Mph, I let the car go a bit much untill I am sure "I got it".

I do notice you're in 3rd for the hairpin & 4th for 16. Why? In the hairpin, your revs drop near 3k, which is a bit out of the power for your car. Why not go to 2nd? And in 16, why not be in 3rd for a better launch in the powerband? Each of those is arguably worth 0.5 to 1.0 seconds in ideal conditions, IMO.
I always did , 2nd and 3rd. My coach thought that I be smoother and learn to carry more corner speed in 1 gear higher, be easier on my daily driver and quicker too. I did a few laps as fast as I could in lower gear and my shiftpoints to 4th and 5th. were identical. When you look at my video's I catch the other GT3's as soon as they shift.
Data proved no speed advantage because I could not be consistently smooth. I often get the car too sideways to be fast. I just could not get on the gas early enough.

I will do some more coaching eventually. or maybe I'll just do 2:18's on Fresh Hoosiers, or put fresh Toyo's and brake pads each time, or who knows what slicks will do.. The though crossed my mind for 48hours
Old 01-17-2011, 08:28 PM
vette6autox
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, good to meet you at Sebring. You look liked you were real busy. Maybe you can come to Barbers and hang out with us and ol Lemming.

David
Old 01-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Nice, productive weekend & nice to meet so many RennListers at Sebring......

It was great to meet you in person Dave! I enjoyed our time chatting. I'm still amazed at the 2:13 turned by that street looking BMW! I know it wasn't a street car, but it didn't look like a full blown race car either. Some serious driving skill by that dude!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:41 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Meeting and using Dave as a coach was really one of the best things I have ever done to improve my driving skills. He knows the cars, the tires, the tracks and is good at analyzing what YOU do that is loosing time.
whether is is just becoming a better driver, racer or whatever, it is the best money you can spend to improve yourself and hone your skills.
Highly recommend a weekend with Dave you cant regret it!!

Remember he got me to take 2 seconds off my fastest lap time at Sebring in one weekend!!
that is huge!!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I could not agree more.
Anyone signed of Solo and all the way up to racer who does not hire a coach is wasting money and time..
Old 01-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Tom you are doing some seriously quick laps! It was good to see you again.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Very fun w/e. Shame about the weather
Old 01-18-2011, 01:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
Hahaha! Great seeing you again. Nice driving. Hope I can make Road Atlanta next month as we discussed.

Tom, again, many thanks for the kind words. it was a real pleasure working with you guys!

Old 01-18-2011, 02:07 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
Great weather and great group of racers. A big THANK YOU to the Flatsix guys for all the help and guidance on my rookie debut weekend!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

No thx necessary.
FlatSix is a drivers' "co-op". We share (or mooch) stuff and ideas and sub-contract to folks like J3 to fix stuff.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:37 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I could not agree more.
Anyone signed of Solo and all the way up to racer who does not hire a coach is wasting money and time..
+1
Old 01-19-2011, 03:19 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Tom you are doing some seriously quick laps! It was good to see you again.
Good seeing you too Mark and thanks but really do need to knock another 1-3 seconds off, will work on it!

See you guys at the 48hours, I will be the yellow car in a sea of white Cup cars

Quick Reply: Sebring Winterfest and 48hoursatsebring