Sponsored by:

Ever tow with a rental truck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 01:09 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ever tow with a rental truck?

I am planning on renting a full size pick up to tow my trailer for an event in the near future, and am curious if anyone else has done this.

+ What was your experience?

+ Do you need to use your own hitch or do the rental companies have theirs they want you to use?

+ What about the electrical connections? Brakes lights and/ or controller

+ Is additional insurance required by the rental company?

Thanks
Old 09-26-2010, 01:15 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SH || NC
I am planning on renting a full size pick up to tow my trailer for an event in the near future, and am curious if anyone else has done this.

+ What was your experience?

+ Do you need to use your own hitch or do the rental companies have theirs they want you to use?

+ What about the electrical connections? Brakes lights and/ or controller

+ Is additional insurance required by the rental company?

Thanks
I've done it quite a few times with PVRental here in Houston. It always went great. I brought my own hitch, and it's a good idea to have adaptors for the electrical connection. My trailer has surge brakes, so I never had to deal with a brake controller. No additional insurance was required by PV, but they are in the business of renting vehicles that are to be used for towing.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:25 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Check if it has a speed limiter, some will kill the engine at 60 and slow down to 55... painful!
Old 09-27-2010, 01:15 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a friend who rents a F-250 to tow his turbo and loves it. The trucks come with a tow bar and it plugs right up to his trailer.
I think he gets it from Enterprise.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:46 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by smlporsche
I have a friend who rents a F-250 to tow his turbo and loves it. The trucks come with a tow bar and it plugs right up to his trailer.
I think he gets it from Enterprise.
I contacted our local Enterprise location earlier this morning. The have full size pickup trucks for rental, but they do not have hitches installed. He asked that I call the heavy duty location, and they told me they only rent to businesses.

My only other option right now is using a 14’ uhaul truck which comes with a hitch. It’ll work I suppose.

http://www.uhaul.com/reservations/RatesTrucks.aspx

Old 09-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 192 Posts

SH, if you use the u-haul very often it probably makes more sense to buy a new truck and make payments.... I used one to move, and I believe they charge something outrageous like $1 per mile +daily charges etc etc.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:30 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Agreed. A new tow vehicle is in the plan for after the new year.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an FYI, but Toyota offers rentals through select dealerships. I used one in this area and got a 4Runner with a tow package. I was planning to use a new Sequoia for this weekend's club race just to try it out as a comparison to the smaller V8 in our Landcruiser.

Toyota Rental Cars
Old 09-27-2010, 04:26 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Very cool. However, I just went to the site and gave the closest dealership a call. They rent trucks through, wait for it, Enterprise.

I've rented car from Ford dealerships before but the couple around here do not rent.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:27 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,635 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by SH || NC
I contacted our local Enterprise location earlier this morning. The have full size pickup trucks for rental, but they do not have hitches installed. He asked that I call the heavy duty location, and they told me they only rent to businesses.

My only other option right now is using a 14’ uhaul truck which comes with a hitch. It’ll work I suppose.

http://www.uhaul.com/reservations/RatesTrucks.aspx

i hope uhaul in your neck of wood is better than nor cal.
i use uhaul 2x to move in college.
i much rather step in front of NYC subway with oncoming train than ever drive an uhaul again. i almost died 2x
Old 09-27-2010, 08:45 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

I used National Rental. As an Emerald Club Member (free to join) you can select any car from certain areas of the lot. Also get at least one upgrade from midsize prices. They carry several models with hitch and tow packages. Trailblazers, Tahoes, and lately Expeditions. And great prices. For 2008 UTCC I towed from east coast to Buttonwillow and back. Almost 2 weeks. Paid less than $500....
Old 09-27-2010, 09:21 PM
mkd944
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pmcrespo
I used National Rental. As an Emerald Club Member (free to join) you can select any car from certain areas of the lot. Also get at least one upgrade from midsize prices. They carry several models with hitch and tow packages. Trailblazers, Tahoes, and lately Expeditions. And great prices. For 2008 UTCC I towed from east coast to Buttonwillow and back. Almost 2 weeks. Paid less than $500....
I have also looked for an answer to this question so I was somewhat encouraged to hear that National had tow vehicles. But when I went to their website, I found this:

http://nationalcar.custhelp.com/app/...tail/a_id/3205

Their official policy says no towing. Doh!
Old 09-28-2010, 11:26 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

If you rent the UHaul, you can sleep in it at the track and save the hotel money.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:38 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

I confirmed today with a regional rental company that they rent full sized pick ups with hitches/***** installed, so I am all set. Triangle Rent A Car

They have full-sized all the way up to Ford F350s available. Thanks to smlporchse for the heads up!

I will report back in a few weeks after my first experience with them.

Quick Reply: Ever tow with a rental truck?