Trailex trailer issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 02:28 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Trailex trailer issues

I took my Trailex in to a local shop to have some work done to get ready for next season (early for a change). I asked them to check the bearings and do some brake repairs. The shop calls me in total disbelief of what they found. The trailers suspension was rubbing in three places right through the main aluminum support rail. I went out to look at it and it appears to me to be a design flaw. Basically, the suspensions travel was about an inch before it hit the support rails. I took pictures and was shocked to see the damage. I am thanking God I took it in and they found it because the trailer would be, if left un-repaired, susceptible to breaking in half between the axles. The person doing the work builds and repairs trailers for a living. He was going on about how nice the Trailex was until this discovery. Posting this as a warning to others to check to make sure the suspension on your trailer is not coming into contact with the main support rails.
Attached Images    
Old 09-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts

what model #?
Old 09-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Have you contacted Trailex? I bought a used Trailex enclosed back in 2001 and have contacted Trailex for several things in the past... they have always been helpful. I usually speak with Carl. I am pretty sure they still support PCA Club Racing.

That looks scary...

- Mike
Old 09-22-2010, 03:34 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That is actually not a structural problem. The part that is getting worn is a skirt hanging below the main structural beam. Although it does serve the purpose of locating the fore & aft position of the spring shackles. I had a similar situation on both of my used Trailex trailers, which were both from the mid-1990's. The load of the trailer is actually carried by the beam above this skirt. On newer Trailex models, they've actually started notching the skirt, rather than letting the shackles rub. The skirt is utilized instead of individual brackets at each shackle, because it allows greater flexibility to locate the axles forwards or backwards. In fact, you'll notice there are pre-drilled holes in the skirt to accommodate this as well. Being hidden behind the fenders & tires, it not easy to spot.

Trailex will corroberate all this (as they did for me). Once you analyze where the spring load is actually going, it makes sense. Unfortunately, letting the shackles wear out the notches is not necessarily pretty. In order to pass inspection, I ended up having to grind down the notches to clean them up a bit, and provide some clearance to alleviate any further rubbing. However, once the inspector analyzed the construction of the Trailer, he too agreed it wasn't a structural/safety issue.

I'm gonna guess your trailer dates from the early to mid-90's.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:12 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

ding ding ding. 1995 model. as for the actual model number, I'll have to look for it. After the repairs are made, I will post pics of what was accomplished. Really seems odd that Trailex would allow the suspension to rub anywhere, even if not integral to the safety of the trailer. I am confident that the new pieces will alleviate the rubbing altogether and allow the suspension to travel as it should.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:56 PM
ray09c2s
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Have you contacted Trailex? I bought a used Trailex enclosed back in 2001 and have contacted Trailex for several things in the past... they have always been helpful. I usually speak with Carl. I am pretty sure they still support PCA Club Racing.

That looks scary...

- Mike
+1...working on a deal on CT-8045-SB, and Carl has been great help....Ray
Old 09-22-2010, 08:45 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

All of them have this to some extent. Mine, maybe worse than some because I travel the dreaded cross-bronx expressway to most events.
Carl at trailex told me that the damage to the channel aluminum is not consequential, and , as aj said, on newer models they have a cutout where the channel gets damaged on our older models. Anyway, after our conversation, and noticing that most trailex's have this issue, I've decided not to worry.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:45 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aj986s
That is actually not a structural problem. The part that is getting worn is a skirt hanging below the main structural beam. Although it does serve the purpose of locating the fore & aft position of the spring shackles. I had a similar situation on both of my used Trailex trailers, which were both from the mid-1990's. The load of the trailer is actually carried by the beam above this skirt. On newer Trailex models, they've actually started notching the skirt, rather than letting the shackles rub. The skirt is utilized instead of individual brackets at each shackle, because it allows greater flexibility to locate the axles forwards or backwards. In fact, you'll notice there are pre-drilled holes in the skirt to accommodate this as well. Being hidden behind the fenders & tires, it not easy to spot.

Trailex will corroberate all this (as they did for me). Once you analyze where the spring load is actually going, it makes sense. Unfortunately, letting the shackles wear out the notches is not necessarily pretty. In order to pass inspection, I ended up having to grind down the notches to clean them up a bit, and provide some clearance to alleviate any further rubbing. However, once the inspector analyzed the construction of the Trailer, he too agreed it wasn't a structural/safety issue.

I'm gonna guess your trailer dates from the early to mid-90's.
My Trailex is a 2007 and my buddy bought a 2008 and they are still having this problem. My buddy lives in PA and in PA the actually inspect them, and they wanted to fail it for a structural defect. I know he was going to contact TX but I am not sure where it stands. I have the same problem but at this point just a little rolling over of the metal. Its a flaw. Just like their defective wiring. I am not as big of a fan of TX as I was when i bought it.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:54 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

My Trailex did the same thing but it was caused by a cracked leaf spring and sag caused the rubbing. Luckily, I noticed the danage when unloading the car. I do a pretty thorough inspection after each tow.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is a 1999 and did the same. If I rememeber correctly I trimmed the U bolts to prevent further damage. That was a few years ago and the trailer is still going strong.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:56 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 1987 does the same thing with heavy cars on it. Check the springs for breaks as well.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:27 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I had an additional leaf put in each spring, in addition to replacing one that broke on the way to WGI. After a decade of pounding, they were getting tired.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Falconator
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem on a 1997 model 7541. I bought the trailer used and it looked like it have been abused pretty badly and I always assumed the trailer had been overloaded.

I've got a lightly used 2002 model 8045 now with no sign of any rubbing. I'm trying to sell the 2002 since I just bought an enclosed Trailex. More info on the trailer here... http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/1945588534.html. If interested, call be Bill at 8046776397 or 8047391615.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:36 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I had no problems on either Trailex that I had ( open and enclosed). As has been said above, Carl will address any issues you think you might have with an explanation or with a solution. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:21 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh, I am not complaining. I love the trailer. I was just surprised there was a design issue. I'll post pics of what the trailer guy did to prevent the spring striking the frame/apron when the weather clears up.

Quick Reply: Trailex trailer issues