Sponsored by:

Had an interesting instructing experience last weekend

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010 | 08:34 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey;

I've never used the "change the subject" trick on anyone but an instructor candidate to see how good a driver they really were. If they could compartmentalize their driving as separate from conversation, I knew their driving was subconscious and natural as opposed to being just a show for me, and that they were on the right track, as it were. In terms of driving, I think it is normal for one to revert to old habits when faced with something that they might not quite be able to wrap their head around. I don't necessarily think it means you wasted your time. It is a funny thing as to how and when insight arrives, or sinks in. He may indeed begin to consciously or even subconsciously start to let some of what you worked on sink in over time. Or not.

I'd say follow up with him. Let him know what you observed. Find out what he feels about what you worked on together. His responses will tell you whether he is worth some more effort, or is a waste of your time. I've felt like I was wasting my time more than once over the years, but very occasionally someone just needs time to find the switch, let alone flip it on. It can take a long time for some folks.
Old 09-23-2010 | 09:34 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hey;

I've never used the "change the subject" trick on anyone but an instructor candidate to see how good a driver they really were. If they could compartmentalize their driving as separate from conversation, I knew their driving was subconscious and natural as opposed to being just a show for me, and that they were on the right track, as it were. In terms of driving, I think it is normal for one to revert to old habits when faced with something that they might not quite be able to wrap their head around. I don't necessarily think it means you wasted your time. It is a funny thing as to how and when insight arrives, or sinks in. He may indeed begin to consciously or even subconsciously start to let some of what you worked on sink in over time. Or not.

I'd say follow up with him. Let him know what you observed. Find out what he feels about what you worked on together. His responses will tell you whether he is worth some more effort, or is a waste of your time. I've felt like I was wasting my time more than once over the years, but very occasionally someone just needs time to find the switch, let alone flip it on. It can take a long time for some folks.

John, after observing him from the other car, I did tell him. I chose to only tell him he had reverted back to his original non-productive car positioning entering the original corner which he had sought my help for & not about the other 2 corners.... He was mildly surprised, and that was about it.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Quick Reply: Had an interesting instructing experience last weekend