Sponsored by:

Had an interesting instructing experience last weekend

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 03:50 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,134 Likes on 1,847 Posts

I've seen it in my students and in myself as well. I've also seen it in different sports. My daughter had a soccer coach who would yell out orders all game long. Pretty soon it was like the coach had a remote to control all 11 of her players on the field.

Their next coach only spoke when direction was needed and let the players play unless they made a mistake or made a great play.

What I do sometimes with advanced students right around the 3rd session of the day is that I will start a conversation about something totally unrelated to what we're doing. It could be "so what do you think the Fed is going to do about interest rates later this year" or something so off the chart that they can't help but have a mind shift to the topic. IF they can still hit their marks and drive consistantly after we start the conversation, then I know I don't have to say much from then on.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:15 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

You know how so often you are in the zone? Some folks have a hard time getting out of their (not so good) zone and into the right zone.
It takes a lot of repetitions to break bad habits.
He needs more time with you helping him.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,523 Likes on 804 Posts

Thanks everyone for their observations and comments. Yes, I believe this person THOUGHT he was driving flat out when I observed him later in the day, but as usual, it was the car more than the driver. When I was in his right seat, we were noticeably faster at apex & track out in those 3 corners my way (as observed by me watching his RPM's before & after).

And yes, the Cicero quotation is very apt. Those who fail to heed the lessons of history etc etc etc.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-21-2010, 05:49 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 4porsh
For those students that need the instructor to talk constantly "The Auctioneer technique" I will test the student by suddenly being quite for a few turns to see if they can hit the marks with out me telling them what to do. If they fail, I then tell them what we need to do just before the section and let them do it with out my help. Then explain what needs to happen next time in that turn after we go through and they still need improvement.
Some students get in a trance with the " Auctioneer" and rely on it. They need to be weaned off.
This would be my guess too. I've had many students who were faster with me in the car telling them what to do. They trust you explicitly and execute your instructions without really "knowing" it will work. The key test is to shut up for the last 2 laps and see if they can sustain the new pattern of inputs without your voice prompts. Some can. Some can't.

Like others said, the ingrained habits of very experienced drivers are usually the hardest to change.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:03 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Some drivers just don't feel validated unless they are sawing at the wheel and stamping on the pedals. Feeling or balancing the car are foreign concepts. Its a bit frustrating as an instructor, but fortunately there aren't too many of these types. They can be dangerous.

BTW Derick; Your Cicero quote is perfect.
+1 on this point. That is why they should buy Data Loggers so they can prove it to themselves. I think at the limit of a cars capability you will get into a little sawing at the wheel, but not the stamping of the pedals, just my view, I know when I am at the limit it can be a little toss and catch, but not with the brake and gas.

VR your student is not convinced as to what is the fastest way around the track. Part of that could be because of inconstant messages he has or is getting from different instructors. I would not take blame for that student.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

FYI, this individual had a data system in the car, but it was not turned on while I was in the right seat. I am not sure why, didn't ask, don't care....

In one of the corners in question, I had also recommended 2nd gear rather than 3rd, in order to get more rotation with less understeer. He would not do it, and insisted it was slower to downshift to 2nd & then have to quickly upshift again at track out.

To quote Cool Hand Luke: some men you just can't reach...

Old 09-21-2010, 06:41 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by quickxotica
This would be my guess too. I've had many students who were faster with me in the car telling them what to do. They trust you explicitly and execute your instructions without really "knowing" it will work. The key test is to shut up for the last 2 laps and see if they can sustain the new pattern of inputs without your voice prompts. Some can. Some can't.

Like others said, the ingrained habits of very experienced drivers are usually the hardest to change.
I hear ya, sometimes i keep "The Auctioneer technique" ON so i can stay alive.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:45 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 61 Posts

how about getting video of him in the car with you and without for a later view together! with lap times, that would certainly sink in I would think.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:57 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

and the famous other quote same movie "what we have here is a failure to communicate"
Old 09-21-2010, 10:25 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

In one of the corners in question, I had also recommended 2nd gear rather than 3rd, in order to get more rotation with less understeer. He would not do it, and insisted it was slower to downshift to 2nd & then have to quickly upshift again at track out.

Not sure what you can do about this sort of behavior. Some folks just don't want instruction. Others are more open. I rode with an advanced driver recently and suggested he try a driving style he didn't like. I said "lets just try it to see how it works for you. You don't need to feel like you have to drive that way all the time, just give it a go and see". Being a guy who is open to learning, he tried it. I'm really now sure how he felt about the experience, but at least he tried it out. Personally, I'm always willing to give a suggestion an honest effort, and then later make a judgement on how it worked out. I've learned a lot that way.

In defense of the student, I find that if I don't go out with a specific set of goals for a session, a bit of the red mist sets in, I push too hard, and I revert to my bad habits rather than work on extending my skill set. I suspect that happens to everyone to some extent.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Yeah....this person sought me out to work on one of the 3 corners. I give him credit for this. He admitted having a problem there. We did communicate....it just didn't stick, which was the disappointing part.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:43 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I keep thinking to myself "wow, am I really that stubborn?"

Then I remind myself that I wasn't even able to make it out there this past weekend!
Ha! Spared by my non-appearance!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ervtx

Then I remind myself that I wasn't even able to make it out there this past weekend!

You were missed!

Old 09-21-2010, 11:50 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx

You were missed!

Indeed you were missed Russell. And you missed my efforts at another creative line through Rattlesnake. Or rather an effort to skip it completely.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:52 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 170 Posts

Maybe he turned his data on and was testing your line against his?

Quick Reply: Had an interesting instructing experience last weekend