Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here ever switch from racing a 911 to...........

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:39 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never raced my 911, just DE'd it. But I now race a spec miata in NASA and it's a blast. I have much more fun tracking my spec miata than I ever did my 911. Probably several reasons for this:
1) I was terrified about stuffing my RS America into a wall. If I wad up the miata, it won't be a life changing event financially.
2) If I blow up the miata engine, I'm looking at about $2500 for a new crate motor. $800 for a used motor. When I shelled the engine in my RSA, it cost me about $17K.
3) Operating costs - Brakes: rotors are about $25 each. Set of RA1's are $600 shaved. Wheels: $120 each. You get the picture.
4) The miata taught me to keep my foot in it no matter what and to carry more momentum into corners.
So what's the downside?
1) To be at the front of the pack, you have to spend bigger money than what I'm spending. There really are $35K spec miatas. There's spec, and then there's SPEC, if you know what I mean. The guys are the front are very serious and throw a lot of resources at it.
2) There is more risk of contact. It's just a fact of life in SM. The good news is, body panels and entire donor cars are cheap.
3) It's not PCA...
Old 09-13-2010, 08:40 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
SPG, thanks for the info. are you going to race Summit in October?
dont know. im doing 2 miata races at MMC and LRP the 2nd week of Oct, and then going to HSR to race the historic and the cayman.
if you want to find out about the miata races, elt me know. i think they have a few for rent. u could come, do tons of practice, race 2 casual sprints in the afternoon and then you'd know if you like the miata.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Miata Spitata, Spec Racer Ford!
Old 09-13-2010, 09:00 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
I never raced my 911, just DE'd it. But I now race a spec miata in NASA and it's a blast. I have much more fun tracking my spec miata than I ever did my 911. Probably several reasons for this:
1) I was terrified about stuffing my RS America into a wall. If I wad up the miata, it won't be a life changing event financially.
2) If I blow up the miata engine, I'm looking at about $2500 for a new crate motor. $800 for a used motor. When I shelled the engine in my RSA, it cost me about $17K.
3) Operating costs - Brakes: rotors are about $25 each. Set of RA1's are $600 shaved. Wheels: $120 each. You get the picture.
4) The miata taught me to keep my foot in it no matter what and to carry more momentum into corners.
So what's the downside?
1) To be at the front of the pack, you have to spend bigger money than what I'm spending. There really are $35K spec miatas. There's spec, and then there's SPEC, if you know what I mean. The guys are the front are very serious and throw a lot of resources at it.
2) There is more risk of contact. It's just a fact of life in SM. The good news is, body panels and entire donor cars are cheap.
3) It's not PCA...
Greg, very tempting...... thanks for your input.....

Originally Posted by spg993tt
dont know. im doing 2 miata races at MMC and LRP the 2nd week of Oct, and then going to HSR to race the historic and the cayman.
if you want to find out about the miata races, elt me know. i think they have a few for rent. u could come, do tons of practice, race 2 casual sprints in the afternoon and then you'd know if you like the miata.
Steve, if you have any info. on the rentals please forward it over, I am always willing to try something new.......
Old 09-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

They have rentals out of summit point. I think it's RPMotorsports who rents them...

Mike
Old 09-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots of places to rent them. Tell me the track and I can get you some names of the more local places.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:21 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
1) I was terrified about stuffing my RS America into a wall. If I wad up the miata, it won't be a life changing event financially
I am not racing (yet) but bought a Spec Miata recently to continue to progress as a driver for much the same reason as above. I have been out on track twice so far with the Miata and definitely find myself pushing the Miata much harder into the turns than the GT3 for the same reason as above. I have track insurance for the GT3, but who really wants to wreck a 100+K car? I am especially attached to my GT3 since I picked it up in Stuttgart at the factory and did the whole Euro delivery and Spa and the Nurburgring stuff over there. Bottom line, the Miata is a much more effective learning tool for me right now for so many reasons.

I say there are a lot of good comments already written in this thread. For me at my current stage of learning the "disposable" track car is the most attractive option our there.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:27 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess this one is right up my alley.

I began DE's with a 996 911, then a 997.1 GT3RS. I then built a an 02 996 into one heck of a great race car and raced for 2 years with NASA and PCA. Autometrics built it and it was simply an awesome car and still is from what I hear.

I knew if I didn't change something after 2 years, my learning curve was going to dwindle. There are some really really good drivers in PCA and NASA, just not tons of them. I needed a new platform. I wanted to get into something where I could get my butt handed to me, because that's how I learn the fastest. That's when I decided to build a miata.

Never regretted it for one second, even when I got my butt handed to me. I love it. There is nothing like it. I think the smallest field I ran this year with is 15 and the largest over 50...50 in my class.

I've had a couple of dinged fenders and rubs, buts that's about it. Once you get up to the top 10, the drivers don't seem to be quite as careless. I drive defensively also as much as I can. In July, I had the best race of my life with a guy from FL. Our cars were very even and we battled all weekend. If lapped traffic got in the way, we passed in the grass, went 4 wide, whatever it took to keep up. I think I smiled for 3 days, even though I came in 2nd.

The guys are really cool and will help you if you ask and share data anytime. They are some of the best drivers I've ever seen and they prove every time they hit the track. When the good ones have accidents, it isn't because they are careless, it's because we are on the absolute edge of traction all of the time. It is serious freakin fun.

I feel like after 2 seasons of SM, I'll be able to drive anything fast. They teach you such car control and racecraft. If you can win a national race and you've earned it and paid your dues. There is always fast cars in national races.

I loved my 911 and the miata. Wished I had both to play with now. But, if I had to choose right now, it would be the miata because I constantly want to get better. I wouldn't have a front end if I did some of the things with the 911 that I do with the miata.

There is a difference between a really good car and an average one. It's a big enough difference that you can't make it up with skills. Most of the top 15 cars will have race engines though and they can all put up a battle. If I made a mistake with the 911, I could be back up to speed before I reached my exit point. If I make a mistake in the miata, 3 cars pass me before I get out of the corner. It really brings up your game.

Hope this helps...it's another slippery slope!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 09-13-2010, 10:19 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I suck in my SM. But no matter, there's always someone to run with. I really didn't find (then) 20+ years of 911 "skills" were really relevant. Hilariously entertaining to drive, though. Those of you who call them underpowered certainly didn't come up from various SCCA small bore Production/GT/IT classes. Or the 4 cylinder Porsche world. I've found all manner of assistance freely available from front runners, including those who've come from the Porsche world (including one guy who just finished off a weekend as the winning guest driver in the Mustang Challenge at Miller, and had 2nd fastest lap in the Sunday race). Close running, National caliber video has been posted here. Nothing dirty from those guys.

SM isn't as expensive as some make it out to be, nor is it as cheap. You have to do something incredibly stupid to mechanically damage one. You merely have to have a hiccup in your race/session to do multiples of cost damage to a 911.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:27 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
fall/winter karting league at F1 Boston, it combines the A/X and racing skills in a very tight racing indoor circuit.........bumping is discouraged but condoned.....
BDMD: What kind of condition are the F1 Boston karts in these days? I haven't run there for a few years but last time around most of the frames were pretty beat up. I'd be interested in the winter league if they've updated the karts.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:34 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm seriously considering making the switch. I have spent $5,500.00 this year on maintanence and repairs and $720.00 on racing. WTF? Not 1 set of tires included.
I scattered my trans on the 2nd lap of the 2nd practice session on the 1st day of my 1st HSR race. F@#&!! It was an away event to boot.

I'm doing my 2nd event this weekend, 10 mins. from home at Road Atlanta. Nothing better break. End of bitch.

With limited disposable income, I want to get more track time for my money and I think a Spec Pinata may be good way to accomplish that.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:54 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I instructed in a new spec Miata a couple of years ago and it was really fun; very temping (but I love my 993).
Old 09-13-2010, 11:21 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I've always driven/tracked/TT/raced 911s... After building up this last one and looking at the potential of arching it in the wall, I decided to step back into racing a bit cheaper and went for 944spec bigger field out here than SM, and I like pcars better than barbie cars anyway, performance is pretty close but usually the 44s spank the Miatas...) Going from at least running in the same half lap with other guys in class to getting schooled was a humbling experience. For a half a season I fiddled with the car and couldn't figure out how I was getting pulled by cars with the "same" power and suspension and weight...somebody had to be cheating... Long and short of it it was all really good driving by guys (and girls) that just knew how to get the most out of what they have. Any spec series is going to be the same, very close, very fun racing.

The good and the bad tho is it is really tight racing, more rubbing than most would like, but if you stuff it you can fix it on the cheap. Sad part is if you love the 911 platform you will be stuck with more than one track car because the spec car will not be enough....
Old 09-13-2010, 11:25 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
There is a difference between a really good car and an average one. It's a big enough difference that you can't make it up with skills. Most of the top 15 cars will have race engines though and they can all put up a battle. If I made a mistake with the 911, I could be back up to speed before I reached my exit point. If I make a mistake in the miata, 3 cars pass me before I get out of the corner. It really brings up your game.

Hope this helps...it's another slippery slope!
Can you please tell - what about SMT - does it really exist in reality or not and if it does - is it active to same level as SM or what is current situation with those turbo SM cars - are they a sub-class within SM or not even legal, is there a sub-division of some sort, how does it work?
Old 09-14-2010, 12:02 AM
str8ner
Racer

I have played with 911 Carreras, 997 GT3, 1973 RSR Replica 2,150lbs 300hp in DEs and have been racing a spec Miata for 3 years. Spec MIata have given me the most fun so far. No ABS, No PSM all driver. It is very fun and the cost of the car is never in your mind so you can drive to the limit without any concerns! If I had to have only one race car it would be the Miata. Very competitive racing.
Rent a Miata at Summit Point and try it you will love it.

Stephan

Quick Reply: Anyone here ever switch from racing a 911 to...........