Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here ever switch from racing a 911 to...........

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:45 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
You couldn't have moved over a foot to the right why again??? You had plenty of time to avoid that.
That's what I was thinking. He was coming through, had a jump on you and a fender up and you continued to nose into him, or at least hold your straight line. You should have given room.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:34 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If you follow the white line, you will see I am going straight, not turning into the car to the left, just following the #1 car. IF I move to the right I am giving away my spot and when we enter the chicane, I am in no-mans land to the right (right turn coming up). Then I wait and let the train go by and I end up about last. The overtaking car has the responsibility of making a clean pass. this certainly was not a clean pass, since there was NO turn for another .25 miles. I have done nothing wrong. Both the Chief Steward and the Chair SOM came and asked if I wanted to file a protest against the driver. They could have placed him one position behind my finish which was last, DNF. But that is not my style. In 16 years of this racing I have never been reprimanded for my driving or actions.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:44 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know you weren't actually wrong, but it doesn't really matter if you're in the wall, does it?
I'd have given him the position and stayed in the race.
Just sayin'....
Old 09-16-2010, 05:12 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

gums. you are right! Will file this expensive experience away- Move right!!
Old 09-16-2010, 07:17 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Entropy Racing
As to SR(F)s at DEs. BMWCCA is one of the few NE clubs that DOES NOT allow them to run.

as to safety, I would rather be in an SR(F) than most sedans in the event of contact. much stronger than a typical sedan, and having had a HUGE impact with an Acura at a race at Summit which totaled my car, and 2 others I am sure that I would have fared far worse in a tin-top in the same incedent.

with all this talk of SRs on a Porsche forum, I suggest that all you east and mid-atlantic guys get together, pick an event and I will bring a dozen of them for you all to try out. they are cheaper by the dozen. and when everyone is slow, fast is relative.

October 2 and 3 EMRA has a very undersubscribed race on Saturday with a 2 hour enduro and a Time Trial event on Sunday for non wheel to wheel drivers. We are even doing a comp school on Saturday.

Always wanted a porsche, never wanted to pay for the parts

Cheers
Charlie
Charlie, could you PM me some info. as far as cost and policies of renting one or more from your company for a track day?

I have a couple of my buddies that would be interested too.....

Thanks.....
Old 09-16-2010, 07:59 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
racing a miata?

1) What differences did you notice between racing in a field of 911s (Boxters, 968 and 944s included) versus racing against a sea of miatas?

2) Do you think the miata drivers’ state of mind and racing strategies are different?

3) Did you find your experience in racing 911 helped or hindered your performance in a miata?

4) How did the competition compare in the two different races?

5) How would you rate your overall miata racing experience?

Thanks for any input…….
I switched from racing 69 911S to Formula Fords to Formula Mazda. Then after 10 year hiatus, I'm back racing in 944 Cup this year. I like the close racing in spec-type class, so I think you are headed in the right direction.

In 944 Cup series in the Pacific NW, we frequently are in the same race as the Spec Miatas under SCCA. I was worried about the contact with the Miata folks, based on what I've read and been told. So far, my experience has been positive although it is difficult to generalize. Just like the 944s, the Miatas are certainly more of momentum-type cars. I also prefer racing with Miatas compared to 911s, as my 944 corner entry speed versus exit speed more closely match the approach of Miata drivers. 911s tend to be slower in, faster out through the corners.

Lastly, seat time in various race cars has always been beneficial to the development of my race craft.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
If you follow the white line, you will see I am going straight, not turning into the car to the left, just following the #1 car. IF I move to the right I am giving away my spot and when we enter the chicane, I am in no-mans land to the right (right turn coming up). Then I wait and let the train go by and I end up about last. The overtaking car has the responsibility of making a clean pass. this certainly was not a clean pass, since there was NO turn for another .25 miles. I have done nothing wrong. Both the Chief Steward and the Chair SOM came and asked if I wanted to file a protest against the driver. They could have placed him one position behind my finish which was last, DNF. But that is not my style. In 16 years of this racing I have never been reprimanded for my driving or actions.
Racing isn't always about racing by the rulebook, it's a fluid situation and you have to act accordingly. There have been many times where I had every right to X part of the track and I had to move off it to avoid contact, that's just the way it is. The other guy may have got a 13/13, but that doesn't fix my damaged car.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:40 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Racing isn't always about racing by the rulebook, it's a fluid situation and you have to act accordingly. There have been many times where I had every right to X part of the track and I had to move off it to avoid contact, that's just the way it is. The other guy may have got a 13/13, but that doesn't fix my damaged car.
In defense of pdxjim, (BTW, I don't know who he is, nor have ever met him).........

I guess there must be a fine line in racing between being careful about incidence avoidance and being considered a "*****" or "push over", (for lack of better terms).........

Maybe some of the more veteran racers can clarify the distinction...........
Old 09-16-2010, 10:42 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

I would rather bring my car home than win a race, but that's just me..
Old 09-16-2010, 10:58 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I would rather bring my car home "not damaged" than win a race, but that's just me..
Fixed that for you.......

I agree with you 100%, but on the other hand how do you stop the "bullying"?.......

Its like the old saying " give them an inch and they will take a mile"........

P.S. this question is not just for my buddy Gary, but for anyone who might have an answer for this dilemma......
Old 09-16-2010, 11:02 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I would rather bring my car home than win a race, but that's just me..
And me too.

c.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Video for one thing. If enough people show the stewards the same guy pulling the same type of thing I would hope they at least speak with him. I think most people here have avoided an impact by getting out of the way at one time or another...
Old 09-17-2010, 10:42 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

The kind of driving that you ask about is not tolerated in PRC. I video tape all of my sessions in case I need some evidence. My top priorities for every race weekend are to have fun and to bring me and the car home. I win at work and have fun at the track.

Quick Reply: Anyone here ever switch from racing a 911 to...........