Sponsored by:

Vane direction (rotors)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 06:00 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vane direction (rotors)

Just want to verify my assumptions. Recenlty got a set of Turbo S brakes for my track car (944 turbo). Fabbed up some air ducts, put on the big brakes, and assumed I put them on correctly. Then I checked my street car, which is an 89 Turbo (therefore an S).

I had assumed that the leading edge of the vanes should be on the INSIDE of the rotor, to pull air from the middle, and extract it from the outside edge of the rotor. Therefore the trailing edge would be the outside of teh rotor. This is especially true when you run ducts to the hub. Problem is, my street car has them running the opposite way. It is pretty low mileage (64K), and the person from whom I bought it owned it since it was 2 years old and didn't really drive it hard. So I'm inclined to think it may have never had the rotors removed.

So am I backwards in the way the vanes go, did Porsche put them on differently from the factory (i.e. with no ducts), or did someone somewhere along the way get the rotors swapped on my street car?

Again, leading edge of vane should be on the inside of the rotor, and trailing edge should be on the outside is my going-in assumption.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
Just want to verify my assumptions. Recenlty got a set of Turbo S brakes for my track car (944 turbo). Fabbed up some air ducts, put on the big brakes, and assumed I put them on correctly. Then I checked my street car, which is an 89 Turbo (therefore an S).

I had assumed that the leading edge of the vanes should be on the INSIDE of the rotor, to pull air from the middle, and extract it from the outside edge of the rotor. Therefore the trailing edge would be the outside of teh rotor. This is especially true when you run ducts to the hub. Problem is, my street car has them running the opposite way. It is pretty low mileage (64K), and the person from whom I bought it owned it since it was 2 years old and didn't really drive it hard. So I'm inclined to think it may have never had the rotors removed.

So am I backwards in the way the vanes go, did Porsche put them on differently from the factory (i.e. with no ducts), or did someone somewhere along the way get the rotors swapped on my street car?

Again, leading edge of vane should be on the inside of the rotor, and trailing edge should be on the outside is my going-in assumption.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 67King

not all rotors have curved or directional vanes, but if they do then the rotors are chiral, ie they have a left side and a different right side rotor, this digram shows a left side rotor. Note the counterclockwise rotation. The surface features such as grooves or holes may or may not match the internal design, In this case , not
Old 09-07-2010, 08:36 PM
plima
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a recurring topic on Rennlist; here is a link that I think finally resolved the issue:
<https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/490448-gt3-slotted-front-rotors-deman-for-649-2-sets-available.html>
Old 09-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plima
This is a recurring topic on Rennlist; here is a link that I think finally resolved the issue:
<https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/490448-gt3-slotted-front-rotors-deman-for-649-2-sets-available.html>
gee, here I thought that I answered it here(and other places) silly me
Old 09-07-2010, 08:48 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

sometimes OEM manufacturers have one part number for really , directional rotors. (means one goes correctly, and the other is wrong) but on street cars, its not really an issue. (mercedes does this on the S500, or at least the OEM replacement parts companies can do this)
Old 09-07-2010, 09:19 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I like the "screwdriver test"....where you drop a screwdriver in the vanes and see which direction its pointing...front brakes should be pointing to the rear of the car....
Old 09-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
sometimes OEM manufacturers have one part number for really , directional rotors. (means one goes correctly, and the other is wrong) but on street cars, its not really an issue. (mercedes does this on the S500, or at least the OEM replacement parts companies can do this)
That's very difficult to believe, a single part # for the rotors at the same end of a car indicates that the internal vane structure is straight, that's the way all the 911 and normal 964 rotors are.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
I like the "screwdriver test"....where you drop a screwdriver in the vanes and see which direction its pointing...front brakes should be pointing to the rear of the car....
that works
Old 09-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.zeckhausen.com/how_to_pro...all_rotors.htm
Old 09-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

All Porsche rotors that have curved vanes have a left and right set.

And, believe it or not, the left one will always end in an odd # and the right one will end in an even # (the 9th digit). That's true for all left/right specific parts.

To wit: 928.351.043 - left front rotor; 928.351.044 - right rotor. 996.351.409 - left front rotor; 996.351.410 - right rotor.

p.s. I like to look at the vanes as "flinging" air out while they turn - not "scooping" air.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:19 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As always van you are spot on! Many people simple forget that the air is being scooped from the inside & pushed out... Why else would we be putting all that duct work in there... :-)
Old 09-08-2010, 01:20 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I found it tough to believe, but the guys at mercedes and SSF both confirmed it. guess they didnt think it mattered much . one part number and it was a passenger side rotor for both sides. someone screwed up somewhere down the line.

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
That's very difficult to believe, a single part # for the rotors at the same end of a car indicates that the internal vane structure is straight, that's the way all the 911 and normal 964 rotors are.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:58 AM
ValveFloat
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Lotus Elise rotors are like that also.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:33 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Not all porsches! (if you consider 928s porsches ) the early 928s (pre 80) had vented rotors with no curved vains , so there were no left or right rotors, just one.

Just think of the asymetrical rotors as pinwheels or galaxies. Then, its easy to not put them on backward.

Originally Posted by Van
All Porsche rotors that have curved vanes have a left and right set.

And, believe it or not, the left one will always end in an odd # and the right one will end in an even # (the 9th digit). That's true for all left/right specific parts.

To wit: 928.351.043 - left front rotor; 928.351.044 - right rotor. 996.351.409 - left front rotor; 996.351.410 - right rotor.

p.s. I like to look at the vanes as "flinging" air out while they turn - not "scooping" air.

Quick Reply: Vane direction (rotors)