Sponsored by:

Brake pads with 51 hours on track!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 11:26 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed some on my car for an up coming WG race. I thought I was the only black sheep.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by d15b7
i know most PCA guys stick with Pagid or PFC or Hawk; that's great! but i will say that these Raybestos pads are no joke.
I know Todd, and he drives as hard as anyone. For me, based on his recommendation alone I would try them. Probably will when Mike's 993 needs new track pads.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:42 AM
wlittleman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Laguna Seca with "no brakes"? I think LS is quite demanding on brakes, but then again, my car is 3200lbs, 235whp, and I'm probably considered a slow driver. I've been using Raybestos ST43 for quite a long time now, and I love them. The ST41 are another compound that is available, and the folks at Porterfield say it has more bite, but for me, it was neither noticeable, nor did they last nearly as long as the ST43.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:00 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Dont fall in to that same trap. "I spit on my car today and i went 1 second faster" . you are in a time in your driving, where you will see gains all the time for a few years. even later, you can get coached in to running faster. It wasnt due to your brake pads, I can assure you that. wanna bet I run those same times with any pads you put on the car????

Now, I did that 2:10 in 2000, in a car with unknown hp, a cat, only gutted and not very gutted compared to yours. (and a one legger too) it didnt have cut springs and had no real set up.
also, it was a 79 with a 4.5 liter and very used tires, on my rims.

as you mentioned, we all basically use only 2 gears, so the only real advantage a stick will have on lap time, is the quickness of the shift. Im sure at a track like laguna or sears, it would be a little more of an issue for absolute lap time.

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
MK
I did manage a 2:09.8 over the top at Thunderhill today in the heat using the new brake pads....the only change I made to the car to gain 1 second + over my previous best lap.... didn't you run a 2:10.?? in your old 200whp 5 speed?? with bigger tires..... :>)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbQag-koseQ

2:09.8 over the top in a car with 245/45-16 R comps, that made 203whp-241 torque later that day with a racing weight of about 3050 lbs including the automatic one legger....
Old 09-06-2010, 04:08 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

yes, i ran the last half of a race, without any brakes. Very stupid, and wont do that again, but at the time, it felt quite safe knowing how to run that track without any brakes. You start to understand that much of your decelling forces are not only in the brakes but in the turns and in the downshifts

There are some subtle difference in brake pads. at the limits that you really only hit with a lot of power, you get or can lose fade. with lower powered car, some can be challenged to even get enough heat in the pads to stop correctly.

My car is 372rwhp now, and 3000lbs. it runs a 1:37 with brakes and a 1:45 without them Ive also run a 1:45 with a car with only one gear and 270rwhp.

Originally Posted by wlittleman
Laguna Seca with "no brakes"? I think LS is quite demanding on brakes, but then again, my car is 3200lbs, 235whp, and I'm probably considered a slow driver. I've been using Raybestos ST43 for quite a long time now, and I love them. The ST41 are another compound that is available, and the folks at Porterfield say it has more bite, but for me, it was neither noticeable, nor did they last nearly as long as the ST43.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:58 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by d15b7
hi guys.

the Raybestos pads are amazing. i drive one of the Fortune Auto Mitsu EVOs at various Redline Time Attacks and NASA race weekends. we run the ST43 pads on both cars, but with special attention to the #49 Modified Class EVO -- those are the only pads that can survive that car. its 620 whp and weighs about 3200 lbs with driver. still running the stock dia 13" rotors (DBA floaters now though) with the stock Brembo calipers. we've used just about every pad imaginable on it, including the HT10s and Pagid Yellows. the ST43s are the only pads that'll last more than 2 days, and the only pad that can really resist fading. they are AWESOME, in my experience.

i also run them on my NASA PTE Probe (2750 lbs 164 whp) (similar classing to SCCA ITA); they really aren't needed on the Probe (i have a custom BBK on the front that i design and manufacture - 12.2" dia rotors and Mazda Millenia dual piston calipers), but i run them anyway because they are so durable and consistent; a set of pads on that car go about 10 race weekends.

i run them on my Turbo Honda (2300 lbs 303 whp) because they are a MUST (11.3" rotors and Acura Legend dual piston calipers). every other pad i've tried on this car fries; i need to run 15" wheels, for various reasons, and those 11" rotors are the max i can fit. this car has a top end speed of 150+ on most every track i take it to, and it is murder on brakepads. the ST43s are the only pad i can have any confidence in on it.

i know most PCA guys stick with Pagid or PFC or Hawk; that's great! but i will say that these Raybestos pads are no joke.

Livermore Performance will make any pad shape you desire; just tell them the number, and they will laser cut the plates and bond them for you and ship them fairly quickly.....

Todd
ReidSpeed
Gee, Todd, I thought Pep-Boys were your pad of choice
Old 09-07-2010, 05:02 PM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Gee, Todd, I thought Pep-Boys were your pad of choice
nah; only when i want to give u a fighting chance to keep up, john!

besides, if i tried to return one more set, i think they'd put up a 'wanted dead or alive' poster in there!

todd
ReidSpeed

Quick Reply: Brake pads with 51 hours on track!!!!!!