Cockpit view, is this dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:33 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, here's the next rendition.
-One notch less reclined
-Rerounted shoulder belts (now above crossmember)
-Repositoined right side net
-Reinstalled original Driver's net

I think I've got good head clearance to the roof, there is no way I can hit the header tube; the hans fully engages and the belts would have to stretch a foot, the shoulder belts now go almost straight back. Leg room is vastly improved, and the harnesses adjust and hold me much better.
But, I still don't get that right side net; I don't know how it's supposed to function and where it should sit. A photo or two of that would be much apprieciated. As would all other observations.
Attached Images    
Old 09-07-2010, 09:47 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gums
I think I've got good head clearance to the roof, there is no way I can hit the header tube; the hans fully engages and the belts would have to stretch a foot,
In a 40G impact (used as an "average" by crash biomechanicists), your hips will move forward 4-8", and your upper torso 12-18". Your head will hit anything in that range, be it the steering wheel (almost certainly), header tube, or roof. In your case with the good Schroth belts, that projection comes less from the belts than it does from the elongation of your body. This cannot be overlooked, nor controlled. An H&N device has far less effect on this elongation than you think. The farther away the header is, the more likely you are to roll down and under it. That's the best you can hope for. I think you have done about the best you can for right now by twiddling with fasteners, but there is room for improvement, which of course means custom.

the shoulder belts now go almost straight back.
You still have an interrupted belt path, but there is nothing you can do about it with that seat. The shoulder holes are too low for you.

Leg room is vastly improved, and the harnesses adjust and hold me much better.
The result of better angles on everything, most notably more "butt cup" from being more reclined.

But, I still don't get that right side net; I don't know how it's supposed to function and where it should sit. A photo or two of that would be much appreciated.
You look much better there now. It is a very tricky part to get right. It is supposed to be positioned with the top strap right at the tip of your nose height so you can look over it to the right but so that it will still catch a large portion of your helmet if you travel that way. The bottom should catch a very large portion of the torso below the shoulder to retain your body. It should be mounted slightly behind the right edge of the seat in back, and then as close to fore/aft as possible to reduce lateral travel of the body. It needs to be far enough forward to be wide where it needs to catch all this stuff, but not too far forward or low enough to foul the shifter.

Simple!
Old 09-07-2010, 10:47 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great stuff, John, can't thank you enough!
Can't believe I was overlooking all that....

Quick Reply: Cockpit view, is this dangerous?