Sponsored by:

Interseries Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:09 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interseries Cayman

Read a lot about these cars and they sound very interesting!

Any owners who are interested in sharing their experience and feelings about the cars after some experience?

What did you drive on track before?
How does the Caymen compare? Any regrets?
What do you love? What would you change?
What are you thinking your next track car will be?

I was surprised they added so much in improvements to drive the cars up to GTB-1 in PCA where there are much higher HP competitors instead of managing the mods to stay in PCA class I - your thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2010, 10:15 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understainding of the Caymna Interseries is that they are spec cars. Built by one shop and designed to race in the series created by HSR. I think they cost about $100k or so.

PCA probably had to slot them in somewhere so if they run in GTB-1 it is probably the best fit they could find.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:21 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Yes. And there is a fair amount of info on the Cayman site, Planet Porsche and on Napletons own site http://www.napletonmotorsports.com/services.html. PCA says they have been asked to create a separate class for them but so far have only seen a couple/few at club races.

I was hoping to get some input from some of the 30 or so current owners - I have learned actual experience is often different from the advertised experience...
Old 08-30-2010, 10:49 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have heard "things". PM sent.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:03 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shiners780
I have heard "things". PM sent.
Love your avatar - I need it when watching "Myth Busters"
Old 08-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shiners780

Can you include the "things" you have heard? There are many of us around the country that are looking at this as an option and if there are some issues, I'd greatly appreciate the information before making a move and outlaying the approximate $80-100k. ?????????
Old 08-31-2010, 12:34 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I was just reading up on these cars and the "things" I've heard are they are very reliable, no engine failures and so forth. They are replacing the stock LSD with a better unit.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:05 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
They are replacing the stock LSD with a better unit.
This is correct. Our LSD has been sanctioned as the unit for the series. All new cars are delivered with one already installed, and all vehicles in service prior to the change are supposed to be retrofitted. Considering this decision took place back in Feb. I suspect that there aren't any of the 28 cars in service that do not have our LSD in them.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:22 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 393 Likes on 227 Posts

I am considering buying or building one but have no intentions of entering the series. I drove one briefly and was amazed. Incredibly easy to drive, forgiving, neutral and an absolute hoot. And they're GT3 fast- for a lot less than a GT3.

They'll make you forget that whole rear engine thing. I think they could get real popular in a hurry. And a new one comes complete with the standard factory warranty (not for the changed bits of course). I also understand that you can keep everything Napleton pulls off the car- which may defray the costs a bit.

FWIW I currently own a 993 (track car) and a 997S.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:27 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,677 Likes on 2,334 Posts

^ i am an early adopter of cayman, first car in nor cal. tracked the crap out of it. if you really compared it part by part, it's not much cheaper than used GT3. but it is a formidable platform, nevertheless.

i wish PAG would get their acts together and meld the RS into Cayman
Old 09-01-2010, 12:55 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Only problem with the Cayman for me is at least on a street car I do not fit....my knees are too bent and the sterring wheel in in the way of my knees.

Maybe in a race version with custom seat...lower and further bak I'd fit but I really need the sterring wheel to be much further towards me.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:18 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 806 Likes on 408 Posts

Having seen several interseries cars, they are very nice. My one complaint is that you only have one option for getting one built (thru Napelton). You could build a PCA GTB1 car yourself, but it couldn't run in HSR.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The interseries cars appear to very nice and Napleton seems ot be very agressive about sorting any issues as they arise. They have modified the front brakes, the LSD, etc in support of their customers and the race series. I have yet to drive one, but I am looking forward to the opportunity.

It is also possible to build a nearly equivalent car using a Gen1 as a platform. There is a bit more work needed to ensure reliablility, but the result will be equal/nearly equal (lower HP) for lower cost.

A car built to CaymanSpec regulations (POC only for now) should also fit into GTB-1 with the interseries cars.

Cheers,
Old 09-01-2010, 10:40 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,677 Likes on 2,334 Posts

^ krokodil had done a GREAT job developing his car. it was one of the first caymans s iirc. based on his time at LS two weekends ago, gen one car maybe be the way to go if you are willing to sort out some issues.

also CGomez (J. Furey's ex car) is also an early car and CG sure is driving the **** out of that thing and beating up the competitions.

earnie jakubowski's yellow car is fast and deveolped as well.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:46 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

I think in the next few years, the first gen Cayman S will become the builder of choice. Picking one up with be cheap, the mileage on the engines will be such that a 3.8l swap becomes justifiable, and there will be many of them to choose from.

Quick Reply: Interseries Cayman