Sponsored by:

Petit LeMans advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 04:05 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Petit LeMans advice

I will be attending PLM this year for the first time. I have bought tickets, booked a hotel in nearby Commerce, and reserved a golf kart for the weekend. Aside from praying that it will not be another tsunami like last year, are there any tips/advice/things I should know before heading out? Thanks in advance....
Old 09-02-2010, 08:32 AM
RSKY BIZ
Shark Slayer
Rennlist Member

Location: 'BETWEEN NORTH STAR BOROUGH...& THE CONCH REPUBLIC'
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default YOUR FIRST 'PETIT'... WILL BE A 'GRAND' TIME!

Originally Posted by pickering993
I will be attending PLM this year for the first time. I have bought tickets, booked a hotel in nearby Commerce, and reserved a golf kart for the weekend. Aside from praying that it will not be another tsunami like last year, are there any tips/advice/things I should know before heading out? Thanks in advance....
Chris-

Congrats on planning your maiden voyage to The Petit! Plus, this year, once again, it is the Championship race.
I trust you may have attended the ALMS at your fine track in Bowmanville, but, for the moment, let me assume otherwise. A few pointers:

Wear comfortable layered clothes, one lightweight one for inclement weather;
CLOSED TOE SHOES (explained below);

Photog gear, however intense you feel the need;
Small bug spray, perhaps -- one year the 'bugs' were not only the 'shutter-bugs';

A deterrent lock of some sorts for the golf cart. I'll admit my ignorance -- it wasn't until I started working the ALMS circuit that I learned there were not 'many' styles of golf cart keys. It is extremely easy for someone unknowingly or knowingly to jump in your cart and drive off. (I'll spare you a selection of stories, but thanks for the flashbacks!) Given that you are responsible for YOUR cart -- it can ruin your viewing time, if you have to search the grounds for YOUR cart. Prevention!

EVENTS:
The earlier you get there the less crowded it will be for walking, riding and photo-ops.
THURSDAY would be a good day to walk through the paddock and see all the prep going on -- the crowds will fill as race day grows near. The Corvette Corral parade laps are scheduled from 1820-1845.

FRIDAY -- if you have a car, any car -- there will be Road Atlanta facilitated Parade Laps with a limit of 100. Check and see where / how to sign up (I believe this is a public Parade, but I will have to confirm for you). This is scheduled from 1815-1835. Riding / driving the track will provide you a better idea of what the 1,000 mile race will entail.

TURN-BY-TURN GUIDE TO ROAD ATLANTA

If you happen to know anyone who is ticketed to attend the Porscheplatz Corral, their parade laps will be earlier Friday, 1245-1310. Perhaps you can ride shotgun. (??)

If you are interested in getting paraphernalia autographed by various ALMS drivers, line up EARLY in the paddock in front of your first choice team's transporter (in case you don't make it to a second signing location). They usually have some cards or posters for signing, but you may have a special item (or child) with you, appropriate for signing! If you have / need a special marker / pen, be sure to have that with you as well.

Autograph session is from 1230-1330. This is immediately before the Porsche Parade Laps. Scope out the terrain beforehand! Chose your attendance wisely!

SATURDAY:
This is the day to be sure to WEAR CLOSED TOE SHOES!
From 1015-1115 you MUST get yourself out on the GRID!
Up close and personal with the cars, the drivers, the grid girls, the media and yes, THE FANS! But no open toe shoes allowed on the GRID!

This is a biggie with the ALMS -- it is about THE FANS!
Cars are parked at the 45 degree angle; team members, sunbrellas and grid girls everywhere. Some great photo-ops... some great photo misses, due to crowding, at times. But a definite MUST DO!

The race... 1,000 miles or 10 hours maximum... If you should ever get bored -- consider hanging a 'Shuttle' sign on your cart and help move the peeps around. The layout allows for gridlock easier than other venues.

Immediately after the race, (and subsequent fireworks) get to the IMSA Tech Inspection station and you can see the impounded winners and which ever other selected vehicles go through post-race scrutineering. Some events are more memorable than others, but it is another component to the event. Also check out the drivers on the podium, if you like confetti and champagne schpritzs... topically applied!

I will be working the event with IMSA. Contact me off-line, if you wish, for contact info.
Times posted here are as they stand now; subject to change.
Saturday's race will be live on SPEED, beginning at 1100, ET, so there will be strict adherence to the schedule (for TV time).

ENJOY YOURSELF!!
~Doc
Old 09-02-2010, 09:07 AM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Wow, thanks for all the great info Doc! I will be a first timer to Road Atlanta, but have been to all ALMS events at Mosport since inception. Hopefully I will see you there.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 09-02-2010, 10:13 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

It is a great event.. Stop by the Porsche Platz and look for my car.. I'd be happy to show you around the track.. There are all kinds of areas to get good vantage points of RA, but at times it can seem like a maze to get around.. You are doing it right by renting a Golf Cart!!
Old 09-02-2010, 10:30 AM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dave...I'll look out for you. I'm coming down in my 993, but I won't be staying at the track...would you recommend an infield parking pass?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:55 AM
007DT
Drifting

Porsche Platz Parking is $25 while supplies last.. I'd call them now. But if you have a Golf Cart you really won't need to bring the P-Car in too?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:08 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

No, I don't need to bring the car in...just wondering if there is lots of general parking.. By the way, cool avatar!
Old 09-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Parking in the infield is nice, but not necessary. RA has a HUGE grass parking area outside the track; however, it is nice to have the car nearby to keep a cooler or something in. Another downside is if it rains, that grassy parking area gets muddy (think last year when the race was rained out=mud bog).
Old 09-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Blackness
Pro

Originally Posted by Benton
Another downside is if it rains, that grassy parking area gets muddy (think last year when the race was rained out=mud bog).
You didn't see the Porscheplatz parking last year?! It was a clay bog when I got there at 8am. Much less after Noah's Ark came cruising by! Glad I have a C4, but certainly hope there's not a repeat of that.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Last year's rain shortened race sucked bigtime but PL is more likely to be too hot than too wet. Bring suncreen, a good hat and unbrella and yer covered for any eventuality.

Dave- you going Friday? Derek and I might get a golfcart this year. Him lazy, me old.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:31 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turn 7, as the sun is going down, is a great spot for photos.

It's been a few years since I was there last, but it is a great event at an awesome track.

Have fun.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:41 PM
007DT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
Last year's rain shortened race sucked bigtime but PL is more likely to be too hot than too wet. Bring suncreen, a good hat and unbrella and yer covered for any eventuality.

Dave- you going Friday? Derek and I might get a golfcart this year. Him lazy, me old.
Yes.. Probably Thurs-Sat.. But Definitely Friday..

Tow me around and I'll keep the cart full of Beer..
Old 09-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Deal. But I only drink water or vodka. Bring both.
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2010, 10:22 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 531 Likes on 284 Posts

If you're bringing your Porsche, make sure you get at Porscheplatz parking pass. Call the track, you save on infield parking AND get one of the best spots to watch the race. We're trying to break our record of 500 registrants for at the corral. Even if you don't have your Porsche, stop by the tent and register.

We'll have free water and soda, possibly snacks, big TV, big tent to get out of the SUN WE ARE HAVING THIS YEAR .... and people from PCNA, PMNA, Porsche AG, a few drivers (working on Timo, Roman, Patrick, Jorg, Andy, etc), Michelin, and who knows who else to speak on Friday.

We have sign ups for track tour that will happen around noonish on Friday.

We're working on having a show version of the GT3 R-Hybrid in the corral (not the one that will be racing FOR THE FIRST TIME IN NORTH AMERICA!!, but the 'other' one that is used for show and tell)

As of yesterday, there are 49 cars registered for the race. They are expecting 50+.

for tickets, go here: http://www.roadatlanta.com/ev_petit_tix.lasso
Call the number that says Car Corral tickets: 800-849-7223 or 770-967-6143

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3