Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Petit LeMans advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Blackness
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's no one "best place". It's all general admission and with a 1000 mile/~10hr race, you'll have the chance to cover most if not all of the track. The Porscheplatz parking is a great vantage point overlooking the T10/10B complex. T10A is a hard breaking corner coming off the fastest straight and you normally see some tight racing and the occasional off here. It's also a short walk across the Suzuki bridge that gives a great driver's left going away look into T12 and onto the front straight.

I could go on and on. Basically try to get around the track during the day. Pace yourself as it's a long day and can be HOT! If there's not a tsunami, lol!
Old 09-16-2010, 05:49 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 326 Posts

fyi all,
The Porscheplatz schedule of events is available.
go to http://zone3.pca.org, and at the bottom under Upcoming Events click the More Info Here after Petit LeMans listing for a link to a .pdf with all the info you'll need: how to get Porscheplatz car corral passes, registration, event info, and the schedule

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 09-16-2010, 10:57 PM
RSKY BIZ
Shark Slayer
Rennlist Member

Location: 'BETWEEN NORTH STAR BOROUGH...& THE CONCH REPUBLIC'
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FINALLY... HOT OFF THE IMSA PRESS. . .

From IMSA -- the PORSCHEPLATZ SCHEDULE has been posted:

IMSA PORSCHEPLATZ THREAD LINK

Look forward to meeting up, as schedules permit.

Kim
Old 09-16-2010, 11:35 PM
RSKY BIZ
Shark Slayer
Rennlist Member

Location: 'BETWEEN NORTH STAR BOROUGH...& THE CONCH REPUBLIC'
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5 PM FRIDAY... FLYING LIZARD DRIVER MEET!

Didn't see previous post w/ PCA Info...
Just in from the Patrick Long DE Event!

You definitely want to attend the Lizared's Driver meeting at the Porscheplatz, Friday, 1 Oct, @ 5 PM.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80494234@N00/4997091007/
Kim
Old 09-17-2010, 06:50 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RSKY BIZ
From IMSA -- the PORSCHEPLATZ SCHEDULE has been posted:

IMSA PORSCHEPLATZ THREAD LINK

Look forward to meeting up, as schedules permit.

Kim
My link above wasn't good enough??
Old 09-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 59 Posts

Folks - I need some help on Thursday info.

In the past, I'd heard that Thursday is a great for the afternoon, evening, and night. I invited some customers to come with cameras as a joint motorsport/photography/customer_appreciation event. It looks like we'd have a total of ~4 folks and I want to make sure it's not going to be a bust.

I see the Porsche Platz starts on Friday. One reason we're picking Thursday is that we'd have more of the weekend free fopr family stuff and this would bje a pseudo-work thing. Since these are camera buffs (me included, I guess), we're interested in catching the cars at night, maybe with some red-hot rotors, etc.

Any thoughts or advice for us? Could Thursday be worthwhile, or are we crazy to pick that day.

[One thing that is a bit disappointing is that, due to campers, and the policy to not clear the track each day, I need to buy a pass for the whole weekend - even if we're only going on Thursday. As much as that sucks, I'll just expense it and get reimbursed, and the customers won't really know or care, but they might want to come back on their own later in the weekend. Again - as much as that sucks, I don't want it to enter into the decision process, so that's why I mention it proactively.]

Any thoughts, suggestions, advice would be welcome. TIA!!
Old 09-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Blackness
Pro

Jack, this will be my first Thurs. this year as well. But, I hear there is much better access in the paddock since there's not as many spectators that day. For on track shooting, the bottom of the esses start to look nice around 5 pm. There's also good access inside T6 and T7. T7 is very nice at sundown. Your shooting backlit, but you get some cool lens flare as the sun kisses the tops of the trees. And it opens up nicely as it goes behind the trees. There's a nasty DOT light at the corner. I would try and shoot just down from that. It really screws with the white balance and will ruin the late light.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:24 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 355 Posts

I'm coming back early from a conference in California just to see the race. Since there are no direct flights from San Diego to Orlando, I purposely designed a connecting flight through Atlanta with a 2 day layover. A tax deductible trip to Petit Lemans!
Old 09-20-2010, 09:05 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The entire weeks schedule is here: Petit LeMans Schedule
Old 09-20-2010, 12:05 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

If you haven't order your ticket yet, and you want to park in the corral, you have to call the track to get corral parking at the discount price. You can not order Porscheplatz corral parking pass online.

Originally Posted by pickering993
Probably a silly question, but how & where do I get a Porscheplatz pass?
Old 09-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
The entire weeks schedule is here: Petit LeMans Schedule
Thanks! That's the best info the I've found for Thursday schedule. Much appreciated.

It looks like I'll have a couple of customers coming, and one of them will bring his daughter, plus me equals four folks. We'll probably bum around the paddock a bit in the evening and maybe I'll see some Rennlisters - I'll certainly keep my eyes peeled.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:47 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info. In making our final plans, we have decided to fly down instead. We'll be at the track Thursday evening, and will pop by the 'platz to say hello. Looking forward to night practice!

Cheers,
Chris

Originally Posted by wpriller
If you haven't order your ticket yet, and you want to park in the corral, you have to call the track to get corral parking at the discount price. You can not order Porscheplatz corral parking pass online.

Last edited by TrackdayRSA.; 09-20-2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: change arrival time
Old 09-20-2010, 03:10 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
......Bring suncreen, a good hat and unbrella and yer covered for any eventuality.

He isn't kidding. I was there in 2008 and it was 85 degrees. HOT. Especially in these:

Go check out the aquarium and the World of Coke too. Atlanta is a great place to spend the weekend.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:21 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Don't forget to stop by the Flying Lizard Paddock!! We're offering our readers a 10% discount on Official Flying Lizard Gear and if you receive our newsletter you're also eligible to get a Free Flying Lizard Lanyard from the Paddock Store.

If you want more details you can check out this post on a Flying Lizard Discount Code and Free Lanyard!

Have a great time at the race!!
Old 09-26-2010, 04:06 PM
dsanto
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anybody know if we can bring Xooter scooter to Road Atlanta. I hate to bring a bike if I can bring my little scooter.

Quick Reply: Petit LeMans advice