Sponsored by:

Ariel Atom 3 or Radical SR3

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Guys, on my home track, my Atom is about as fast as a well driven GT3 RS on slicks. While an Atom accelerates faster and stops better (1,400 lbs) it has the aero of a brick. Dan, you will remember Tremblant, the Atom shifts to 6th gear at the Hump at about 135 MPH. At the end of the back straight it is going 137 MPH (grin). That why I get passed by Cup cars on the straight. The engine and drivetrain is understressed - bullet proof. One other consideration, look at the construction of the Atom, those frame tube are huge and if the worst happens the chassis will protect the driver. I look at the tiny tubes of the Radical and Stohr, imagine my feet just inches back from the extreme front and wonder .....
Old 11-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Funny storyline for that video.

I know this is not about comparisons other than Radical vs Atom, but I'm going almost 120 through the Chute in my vintage car and am right at 98 mph minimum through Turn 10 on a 1:15.7 lap.

I thought the Radicals were quicker than the one in the video. Yeah, I'm a pu$$y through Wagon Bend!
And you did a 53 at LRP. You walk bow legged.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:56 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought the Radicals were quicker than the one in the video.
I know zero about that track, but out here my measly 1.3L 1st generation car (with decently fresh tires) is a 1:50 Thunderhill (full)/1:40 Sears car. I never took it to Laguna because of sound issues.

Originally Posted by dan212
Really too fast for a conventional DE. Just be an exercise in frustration and boredom. What would be the point??
Sure, a conventional DE. But what's the point of that? Be out there with 25+ cars of wildly varying speed/ability level? Frustrating even with my faux 993RS.

Though the SR3 has been apart and shoved to the side for three years now, from '03-'09 I never was wanting for private events or test days that allowed free run. Even if there is traffic, you're in an open passing situation so responsibly pick your way through the one car you catch every couple of laps.

On the occasion where it was available at a normal DE, things get thin in the afternoon sessions anyway. Take it out to give rides, and you're not really on the limit running 2-3 sec/lap slow. But people get a kick out of riding in something purpose built.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:59 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Guys, on my home track, my Atom is about as fast as a well driven GT3 RS on slicks. While an Atom accelerates faster and stops better (1,400 lbs) it has the aero of a brick. Dan, you will remember Tremblant, the Atom shifts to 6th gear at the Hump at about 135 MPH. At the end of the back straight it is going 137 MPH (grin). That why I get passed by Cup cars on the straight. The engine and drivetrain is understressed - bullet proof. One other consideration, look at the construction of the Atom, those frame tube are huge and if the worst happens the chassis will protect the driver. I look at the tiny tubes of the Radical and Stohr, imagine my feet just inches back from the extreme front and wonder .....
Demonstration:

Old 11-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 223 Posts

I did have an off with my Atom that was a fairly light impact but enough to bend some suspension. It was a sideways hit and I got a bruise on my leg from striking the cage in a spot where I've been meaning to put some padding (because I have long legs).

My car is a Spec Atom with no wings and a meager 220 or so HP. It is an absolute blast to drive and I love the car. At $47k ready to rock I think it is a bargain.

Until I had my off my expenses were tires, brake pads, and fluid changes. It seems very reliable.

As Bob R said the car has poor aero. Mine maxes out around 128-130. At WGI I was comfortably in the 2:09s and as I continue to shave time I think 2:08 will be possible and of course even lower for someone who knows what they're doing!

I have not driven a Radical but have been a passenger. The Radical's grip is on a whole different level. My Atom drives much like my Boxster although it is significantly twitchier. The Atom is more of a sports car than a formula type racer. It has a relatively high suspension and no aero/ground effects. I love it.

All that being said, I could see maybe getting a Radical some day. I don't feel like I could do one justice at this point so I'll stick with the 'lower' power toys for now.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,212 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
I know zero about that track, but out here my measly 1.3L 1st generation car (with decently fresh tires) is a 1:50 Thunderhill (full)/1:40 Sears car. I never took it to Laguna because of sound issues.

Sure, a conventional DE. But what's the point of that? Be out there with 25+ cars of wildly varying speed/ability level? Frustrating even with my faux 993RS.

Though the SR3 has been apart and shoved to the side for three years now, from '03-'09 I never was wanting for private events or test days that allowed free run. Even if there is traffic, you're in an open passing situation so responsibly pick your way through the one car you catch every couple of laps.

On the occasion where it was available at a normal DE, things get thin in the afternoon sessions anyway. Take it out to give rides, and you're not really on the limit running 2-3 sec/lap slow. But people get a kick out of riding in something purpose built.
Agree with your post. My car's class record is in the mid 1:36's at Sonoma.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-20-2012, 12:03 PM
schao
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any updates?

I'm curious how the OP is making out with the Radical? Still have it and thinking of racing?

Sherman
'06 Stohr WF-1
'06 Cayman S
'06 MINI GP
'11 F-250 Diesel SD
Old 11-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
Was anyone else yelling "OFF THE BRAKE!!!!!"?
Old 11-20-2012, 02:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,212 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Was anyone else yelling "OFF THE BRAKE!!!!!"?
For SURE!
Old 11-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

For SURE!
Some people NEED ABS.

Quick Reply: Ariel Atom 3 or Radical SR3