Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 427 Posts

Have fun!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

My Atom is the 300 HP version, now almst two seasons. Needs gas and used one set of tires. That's based on 25 days of track a year. The 300 HP version uses a well proven Jackson Racing Supercharger. Only about 5 lbs of boost. It is less about HP - the N/A version is 245, and a lot more about torque.

Any Atom needs wider wheels and tires though. Stock is 205F 225 rear. Serious oversteer was the result. Now have 225 F 275R and the car is wonderful. Another Rennlister has gone to 295 in back and claims it is even better!

Best,
Old 09-03-2010, 12:10 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Trust me, the decision was not an easy one. In the end I chose the Radical because:
1. I love the sequential tranny.
2. It's more of a purpose-buit track car (I already have a "compromise", half-track, half-street legal toy)
3. This car is in great shape, and very well equipped and maintained.

Having said that, I definitely see an Atom somewhere in my future. More of a Sunday, "canyon carver" toy.

Freddy, I'll have as much fun as I can!
Old 09-03-2010, 01:34 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
My Atom is the 300 HP version, now almst two seasons. Needs gas and used one set of tires. That's based on 25 days of track a year. The 300 HP version uses a well proven Jackson Racing Supercharger. Only about 5 lbs of boost. It is less about HP - the N/A version is 245, and a lot more about torque.

Any Atom needs wider wheels and tires though. Stock is 205F 225 rear. Serious oversteer was the result. Now have 225 F 275R and the car is wonderful. Another Rennlister has gone to 295 in back and claims it is even better!

Best,
great, thanks for your responses Joe and Bob.

I still do not know how I want to progress with this hobby as I really want to preserve my 997 as street car, even with all those mods it does not change anything much as I can always take some mods off and revert camber back.

Ideal solution for my family would be to get something like RX300 lexus (or similar suv as we are going to do it anyway to replace old sedan) that will get us all around as DD plus will be able to tow up to 3500lbs... And it gives some options of 'what' to tow if I use an open trailer which is about under 500lbs max - so I think about ether atom or may be spec boxster with a lot preferences going to spec boxster so far as it is relatively simple cheap platform and there is a heck of potential to grow up there plus a potential to race it later. Not sure.

Having a trailer opens up heck of an options list, there is no need to feel restricted by typical choices and there are many open wheel platforms to run... question is which one to choose considering I still prefer to have a 2-seater rig.

Atom looks extremely interesting to me and if its reliability is truly up to the expectations it may be a very interesting choice... But it is probably quite unrealistic to find one (used) within $20-$25k budget, or isn`t it?
Old 09-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The 20-25K ones will more than likely be the Brammo built Chevy EcoTec motor'd cars if they're even that cheap. While they are good the motor is really nothing like the Honda. A great engine the Ecotec is, but it pales in comparison to the Honda motor. A 3500-8500 RPM powerband is a glorious thing.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:42 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
The 20-25K ones will more than likely be the Brammo built Chevy EcoTec motor'd cars if they're even that cheap. While they are good the motor is really nothing like the Honda. A great engine the Ecotec is, but it pales in comparison to the Honda motor. A 3500-8500 RPM powerband is a glorious thing.
does any used/pre-owned market for ariel atoms even exist or are they all or in total majority getting ordered 'new' with owners sticking to them?

as i understand new atom with 300hp engine is somewhat close to $55K price tag? it`s not exactly peanuts... that amount of money can buy a lot of different things, used lotus, used 996 gt3 and who knows what else... but $20-$25K is much more realistic budget for a hobby toy.

not if I would be able to buy anything any time soon, just curious.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:44 PM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best,
One of the local atom guys had a set of 3 piece Formula Atlantic spec wheels made to fit his atom with good results.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

There is an active Atom forum. Google it.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:33 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 427 Posts

Best,
Sounds suspiciously like the ratio between front and rear tires on a 911. You think Ariel would have mooched off that development "data" especially considering it's a rear engined car too.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Two points Freddy, that's where the sizes came from since the weight distribution is almost identical to a GT3. The power to weight puts a GT3 to shame however, 300 HP, 1400 lbs.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:41 AM
dp35
Pro

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
Sounds suspiciously like the ratio between front and rear tires on a 911. You think Ariel would have mooched off that development "data" especially considering it's a rear engined car too.
You are on the money Freddy. I was the 1st Atom owner to try significantly wider rear tires, based on the Porsche GT2's similar power/weight and front/rear weight ratios. I'm now using 205F & 295R Hoosier A6's, with fantastic results.

Although the factory and many Atom owners doubted this idea at first, now there's a bunch of them doing the same. It works.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Taisan Porsche
Track Day

Originally Posted by Astroman
I have a buddy who has a Radical. It's a killer little car and he loves it. However, he drives it less now since he realized (the hard way) it costs $1000 every time you go agricultural and drive it through the grass... evidently a Radical splitter does not like the grass...
That $1000 is a fraction of the cost to have an agricultural adventure with my 996 GT3 R race car, not to mention an engine rebuild costs somewhere around 30-40k, and lasts only 30 race hours.

And it is slower than this aero car. I go for Radical.

But a 2 day driving school is recommended.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

From the Radical's perspective.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,212 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Funny storyline for that video.

I know this is not about comparisons other than Radical vs Atom, but I'm going almost 120 through the Chute in my vintage car and am right at 98 mph minimum through Turn 10 on a 1:15.7 lap.

I thought the Radicals were quicker than the one in the video. Yeah, I'm a pu$$y through Wagon Bend!
Attached Images  
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-16-2012, 04:38 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm with Mooty on both scores.

Really too fast for a conventional DE. Just be an exercise in frustration and boredom. What would be the point?? If you can run against other Radicals (or Atoms) that would be fun, but otherwise its just not going to be fun.

So the real question is: Where & when will you run it??

I think there is a group in Socal that races Radicals and that would make it a no brainer. I'd be in heaven. Run against other Radicals? What a blast that would be.

As for Radical/Atom. I've driven both - The Atom not cleaned up as Bob has done and not as much fun. I'll defer to him on what can be done to it. (Bob, you probably don't remember me.. I've ridden with you and you are amazing)

The Radical is just awesome. Some friends let me drive them both. They said, "But think first.. This is crack and you will never be the same".. They were right. Fantastic, fast, stunning, exhilarating, a totally different kind of vehicle in the context of HERE: A Porsche (car) forum.

I know Bob is right about the running costs - modest. And compared to a cup car? Ha!!!

But when it comes to Atom/radical = Even if they were otherwise identical I like doors, or in their absence some bodywork (never mind difference in aero). I don't want to see my legs at speed on the track. Just a personal thing.

Coochas: By all means weigh in about the Atom. I know you had a suspension component break (or something like that) at WGI and went off. Same day as the Boxster. How did that feel?

I admit that my attachments are very small and this effects my judgement when it comes to wanting a skin on a track vehicle.

But like the Genie's lamp, when you rub them.. Oh...... Sorry.. Thats another story......

Originally Posted by mooty
radical.
but both are way too fast for DE. you will spend more time on braking than WOT.

Quick Reply: Ariel Atom 3 or Radical SR3