Ariel Atom 3 or Radical SR3

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 12:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,625 Likes on 2,310 Posts

Originally Posted by dp35
Now Mooty's making a case for a Spec Miata...
LOL, well. maybe when you and dean retire from SM, i might have a remote chance.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:06 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw Jose post this right away, and didn't want to be the first to respond. Funny I come back into page three of the chatter now......... (We've already had a small conversation on the Radical.)

I find the comments about the high cost of running a Radical funny. At least for a 1.3L car. Mine will be celebrating its seventh birthday this month. I've got probably 85-90 hours on it. I've changed the fluids a bunch of times, and run through a few sets of tires. Changed the brake pads once. It's apart now for a thorough re-bush, etc. And the bodywork needs attention. Yeah, the splitter went after a hard off in 2 at Thunderhill. But I made another from Alumalite, and I've gone quicker with that one installed. Best I've personally done on fresh tires is 1:50 flat, though last summer with a 150 pound passenger on three year old tires I pulled a 1:52. (Thunderhill, full track.) The car has good aero, but honestly from the data I've seen when the tires are crappy, I'm at about 1.8g in an 80-85 mph turn. It's greatly entertaining for me in middle age. I would have loved to had a real chance in the Atlantic I got a sniff at in the mid-'80s, but this is good for me now. I'm selective in when/where I run it. Usually private track days, and then only 2 or 3 sessions per day. I trade off with the Spec Miata or one of the 911s, maybe the 910 if it's running right. It's easy enough to time your passing, especially if you're out there with 5-7 cars/mile track length. Don't dive bomb people and you'll be OK.

Curious to know where the other Northern California "slow" Radicals are. I ran into a relatively new owner of a used one at the last NCRC event when I ran the SM. He was ~1:52 with the bypass that day. Of course, Dave of NCRC has his, but I'm not sure when it's last been out. There's another guy that has one, and when I've seen it it's been on BFG R compounds. Why, I have no idea. When the Radical Cup bought a run group with NASA last summer, I think the fastest of them with '09 1.5L cars was in the 1:36-37 range. Everyone but one guy was below 1:42-43, which is fast as I ever have run mine there the couple of times I took it. Crowded DE days when I first got it, and that's when I decided keeping it at Thunderhill was best.

I get a kick out of the Fifth Gear test. A raised ride height SR3 on treaded tires would be like taking a 964 era car, stock and jacked up to the sky, installing M+S tires, and saying a 964 Cup isn't "all that" compared to a Camaro or something. Same with the infamous Verger Nurburgring lap record SR8 video. I get that they want to allude it can run on the street, but that's an absurd proposition. You're giving too much up.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. Gotta get up and on the road before dawn to head down to LA and look at yet another race car..................
Old 08-31-2010, 01:20 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Well guys, it looks like I'm gonna pull the trigger on this one. Seller took my offer.
Any last minute advise/wisdom?

BTW, the car passed PPI with flying colors.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:03 AM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You're going to really enjoy it as long as you keep up the maintenance. What size Busa & how many hours? I sent you a pm.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:14 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jbossolo
Well guys, it looks like I'm gonna pull the trigger on this one. Seller took my offer.
Any last minute advise/wisdom?

BTW, the car passed PPI with flying colors.
Having owned one of the first SR3's, here is some advice:

Start by running as much downforce as you can. Wing full angle and add a gurney - about 1/2". The reason is this... Corners in the region of 85-90 mph in a street car with sticky rubber will create a real learning challenge. The Radical will take it at 95-100 and you will feel it twitch, just like you are used to. But your are NOT at the limit. You experience tells you that 5mph faster and you will go off. But that is the speed where the aero starts to really kick in. Instead of 95-100 thinking you are at the limit, if you take it at 105 the car will actually be more stable and it can go 110-115. Very hard lesson to learn. Maximizing wing reduces that 'dead zone' where you are running out of mechanical grip and the aero really kicks in.

In the same vein, try to get out to a race practice day so you can be on track with other sports racers and formula cars. The SR-3 won't corner with the best sports racers but will stick with S2000's and FC's. Follow these cars and learn from them.

Nut & Bolt the car after EVERY sessions when you first get it. Stuff will loosen with a car that stiff. Jam nuts on new suspension parts will crumble the paint/power coat and those will loosen every session. Once the paint is gone, they will settle down. You don't know the condition of the paint under the jam nuts on a new car so treat it as if it were brand new. You will learn what to check each session and what to check once a day after a while. Don't forget the bolt that hold the steering shaft together - that is one that will loosen on the SR3.

Upshift without full use of the clutch. Just slightly dip the clutch pedal or, if you get used to it, upshift without the clutch (assuming you don't have a SWOL kit). Downshifts can also be clutchless, but it is harder to get correct and can be harder on the dog rings if you mess that up.

Rain - soften shocks all the way. Disconnect one end of front and rear sway (NIK) bar and tie it out of the way. Car should have good understeer and be very easy to drive with that setup.

Setup - factory specs work well. Get someone who knows what they are doing to set the car up. If it is cold outside and you have trouble getting heat in the tires, then double, or even triple, the toe settings.

Carry a spare front splitter and pop rivet kit. That is fragile unless the previous owner has upgraded to some of the stuff that the aftermarket (owners) have come up with.

Have fun and PM me if you have questions.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:58 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

You guys are great. Thanks. Lots of good ideas here.

Mike, it's a 1300, 60 hrs.
Mark, thanks for all the good advise.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Oh' and since it's basically a "done deal", here's some pics:
http://www.wirewheel.com/2002-Radica...e-in-soon.html
Old 08-31-2010, 11:06 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I assume you realize that reverse is external to the gearbox, thus you have all 6 speeds in reverse. We expect you to report on your top speed in Reverse as soon as you get the car.

I'm sure you will have a blast with the car.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:34 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice car. Very tempting.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:24 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

That's a good idea Mark!
Thanks for the compliments.

I'm toying with the idea of taking advantage of the fact that the car is yellow (not my favorite color) and having it wrapped/painted in the same colors as the #7 Spyder. What do you guys think?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Po...09-03-14_A.JPG
Old 09-01-2010, 12:35 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

That thing is in great shape. Have fun with it and make sure to post video so the rest of us can drool!
Old 09-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I rode in a Radical this weekend. Insane grip and G forces. I almost blew chunks in my helmet after 10 laps... We were at a DE and spent too much time in traffic but that car is insanely fast through corners. In the right group and with enough space you will have a serious grin on your face...
Old 09-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Matt Graham
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having had various Radicals for about 7 years, now on my 3rd, I'm a big fan. Motors/gearboxes are cheap, the performance is quite good (if not all the way up to that of the latest DSR/CSR cars) and the snd seat in the SR3 for hell rides is worth the extra $$$ SR3s command.

Do yourself a favour and get the front high downforce diffuser/splitter kit from Radical. It will pay for itself in saved splitters, rivets, hours and front bodywork repairs within the first year.

Mike K. runs a shop with a bunch of sports racers (including some SR3s) and both he and his hired wrench are good guys and very helpful. Feel free to contact me as well if you have any questions.

Of course, check out the Radical Forum (socalpeeps.yuku.com) and SportsRacer Forum (sportsracer.net) if you haven't already found them.There is also a UK based Radical forum at PistonHeads.com (http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/forum.asp?h=0&f=83).

-Matt
Old 09-02-2010, 12:03 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Thanks for all the kind comments and helpful info! You guys are great.
Will keep you updated.

The outfit I'm getting this from seems to be a class act, they have some very nice cars for sale on their website, check them out:
www.wirewheel.com

BTW, the PPI was done by Chris Hall, out of Daytona, he has a lot of experience with Radicals and Juno cars. Good bloke.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:09 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Sent you a PM. For overall simple, quick and good learning device I'd go with the Atom.

It's a Honda. It'll last forever and could go the entire season just getting gas.
just curious - it can be ordered with 3 diff engine choices - which one is most 'typical' and reliable? 245hp NA?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm gonna guess that the N/A one is most reliable. The 'mule' we used and that's been heavily abused is the 300hp version and has had absolutely no hiccups that I have seen.

Quick Reply: Ariel Atom 3 or Radical SR3