Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Between the two? Radical.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:03 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I have an atom and as DP35 points out, the stock wheels and tires are bogus for track. I fitted wider wheels and hoosier A6's for a night and day difference. The radical and especially the Stohr are faster on my home track but, in two seasons I have done nothing but change oil and add gas. My A6 Hoosiers lasted 20 track days. My pals with the Stohrs and Radical seen to spend 30 minutes drving and 3 hours wrenching. Engines and gearboxes appear fragile. So, for hammer reliability the Atom wins hands down. For ***** to the wall performance the Stohr wins easily but be prepared to sit out a lot of sessions with a broken something or other.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:04 AM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Radical

I beleive you could choose to race the Radical w/SCCA. Don't think there's anywhere to race the Atom. I've driven a very modified Atom and found it to be great fun. Even if racing was not the ultimate goal, I'd rather drive the Radical.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:06 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
And that's the problem... unless you have access to a lot of open track days.
LOL.
i dont like open track days.
i like to have cars to dice with, more or less at similar speeds.
DP's arieal atom time of 1:33 at LS is 4 seconds faster than i have ever gone in my GT3. he's probably cussing and spitting if i dont move out of his way pronto.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:25 AM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now Mooty's making a case for a Spec Miata...
Old 08-27-2010, 12:26 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FFaust
Andre, your friend is happy because he sold his Atom or because he bought something else? And if so, what did he get? A Stohr?
Both... he bought a 997 GT3 Cup so it is a different car completely with no fair comparison.

Originally Posted by dp35
With all due respect, its hard not to think that your friend lacks skill in driving and/or car & tire setup. With some of these skills, an Atom can go faster than any other stock street car that I've seen. But we all have our own definition of "fast". If you come from Champ cars you might not consider 1:33 at Laguna Seca or 1:42 at Infineon fast.

I've never had the pleasure of driving a Radical, but I'm sure they're great fun, and potentially faster than an Atom. However I've been faster than Radicals at the track more often than not.

The Atom's advantage vs a Radical is durability & low maintenance cost. Simply put, a light weight car is much easier to push with an engine/drivetrain from a Honda Civic than from a Suzuki motorcycle.

Atoms don't handle great on the stock tires. Plan to spend $4,000 on bigger rear wheels/tires, and upgraded rear uprights & wheel bearings, and it'll be on rails.

If your top priority is speed and you don't mind the maintenance, go for the Radical, or maybe a Stohr, or .....
Regarding his skills... this guy is the fastest driver in the cars he has. Fastest (excluding the pros obviously) on our local track with a street 997 GT3 and fastest with his Cup car. He was also the fastest Atom on this track... with roughly the same lap times than his street GT3 until he dropped his Atom lap times when doing more important changes to his suspension. And getting into trouble.

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I have an atom and as DP35 points out, the stock wheels and tires are bogus for track. I fitted wider wheels and hoosier A6's for a night and day difference. The radical and especially the Stohr are faster on my home track but, in two seasons I have done nothing but change oil and add gas. My A6 Hoosiers lasted 20 track days. My pals with the Stohrs and Radical seen to spend 30 minutes drving and 3 hours wrenching. Engines and gearboxes appear fragile. So, for hammer reliability the Atom wins hands down. For ***** to the wall performance the Stohr wins easily but be prepared to sit out a lot of sessions with a broken something or other.
Well said Bob. Radical or Stohr require a lot of maintenance but parts are cheap on the other hand. I don't think it's fair to compare the speed of an Atom with a real race car like a Radical or a Stohr. Lap time difference is huge... People shouldn't expect to go much faster with a Atom than a well driven GT3.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:22 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

if you ever want to sell neither!
Old 08-27-2010, 01:23 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

but Radical would be my choice
Old 08-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Barfly
Racer

Originally Posted by jbossolo
Which one would you choose?
To be used only for DE (10-12 events/year), no racing (yet).
Opinions welcome.
DE - Atom
Race - Stohr

______
Jason
Old 08-27-2010, 03:10 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Barfly
DE - Atom
Race - Stohr
______
Jason
Atom - streetable, doesn't necessarily require a toy vehicle, gas and go
Radical - tow vehicle needed, not very competitive in SCCA if you do decide to race it
Stohr/West - two vehicle required, maintenance intensive, very competitive in SCCA (Stohr), legal for IMSA Lites (West)
Old 08-27-2010, 03:44 PM
95m3racer
Pro

nice direct comparison frmo the Brits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cteey4Wut8w
Old 08-27-2010, 07:10 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 95m3racer
nice direct comparison frmo the Brits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cteey4Wut8w
Chick driver, though.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:59 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys! Already have the F350 and enclosed trailer, so not an issue there.
I'm still debating between the two. The Atom can be titled, so it makes for a nice "Sunday driver" as well. The Radical would be a strict track toy.
I have the opportunity to buy a very nice 2002 Radical SR3 with spares, for a decent price.
Still undecided, but will keep you posted. Keep it coming!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:24 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Well if you decide not to get the Radical, maybe you can post the details here
Old 08-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

On my home track a 2009 GT3 Cup driven by a Daytona 24 winner turns 1:40. The same car driven by a talented amateur 1:43. Atom 1:47 driven by an amateur, Stohr 1300 cc driven by an amateur 1:34. A 1000 cc Stohr 1:35. They are very fast. On the other hand, look at the construction and the tiny tubing and where your feet are. The Atom is built like a tank compared to the Stohr. For track he Atom needs wider wheels, the OEM setup is awful, over steers like mad. Change wheels and it drives like a 911. No aero however and it runs into a wall at about 135 MPH which is when the Cup cars blow by you on a long straight. A properly sorted Atom drives like a Formula Ford and is tossable. The high down force Stohr not so much but it sticks like superglue.

Quick Reply: Ariel Atom 3 or Radical SR3