Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 cars only: Hose clamp must be installed around oil filler cap - ?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

+1 Mine did, got a new one, but still use the clamp.

Originally Posted by Dan Jacobs
All cars with a yellow fill oil fill cap should have a hose clamp. This includes 964, 993, early 996. The 993/964 cap gets soft and leaks oil the 996 cap comes off. This rule is for your benefit.
I am the CVR tech chair. As far as giving you grief we try hard not to do that
Old 08-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

unless you haven't brought the required donuts. it's an often overlooked CVR rule. we've failed many a car for forgetting to bring the required donuts. we're real sticklers when it comes to the donut rule.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:48 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would that be the Famous Krispy Kreme?
Old 08-26-2010, 04:06 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CWhaley
The only way it would have come off is: IF he did not have it seated all the way on!

When you twist the cap on completly it seats against an "O-RING", thus creating a slight compression.

The thought process behind the hose clamp is that it will create higher friction... I.E not allowing the cap to vibrate loose...
Not true. The yellow caps I am discusing had sides give out a bit over time, the threads get loose and the cap can weep or at times pop off. Adding the band clamp compresses the sides back in and make the threads engage like new or better. When the caps wallowed out you could turn the cap sort of snug but not snug enough, then the threads give and the cap is full loose again. I have see this at the track more than a few times including fires. For a while as a Tech Chair, I kept a bag of right size band clamps for cars that came through grid tech. Porsche later put out a TSB that instructed to add a band clamp go figure.

YMMV.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All cars with a yellow fill oil fill cap should have a hose clamp. This includes 964, 993, early 996. The 993/964 cap gets soft and leaks oil the 996 cap comes off. This rule is for your benefit.
what cap are you guys talking about?

993 cap is metal, not plastic and surely doesn't get soft...
Nor do I see any clamps around it.

What am I (or someone else) missing?
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Marks951
Racer

My 944 Turbos and my 996 have the yellow plastic cap, none of them have ever felt loose, but the clamp idea seems a little flaky unless it is a place to put safety-wire. How about just buy a new cap when your oil one is so old it gets soft and loose.
AMA, WERA, and CCS require Motorcycles to have hose clamps placed on the oil filter so you safety-wire it tight.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:00 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Here is a photo of the 996 cap with clamp....

Also, the only TSB listed for the 996 (99-05).

I stand by my statement that this is more a reaction to litigation: Sure you have situations where someone had oil leaks or possible issues. Still... ROOT Cause of any failure will still be HUMAN error. I am not saying that a 20 year old part will not fail... The 996 CAP is not in this category! IF you have had or seen a failure... It was either a poor installation of the cap or a failed "O-ring" from human error... i.e not keeping it clean or damage from handling.
Attached Images  
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
TSB Carrera Oil Filler Cap.pdf (24.2 KB, 772 views)
Old 08-26-2010, 05:05 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Marks, you have a point. The metal hose clamp is more likely to works itself off the cap and bounce around in the engine compartment... not a good thing at all. I plan on using a zip tie on the clamp just incase. (zip tie wont melt - will it?)

CWhaley - my cap is a tapered hexagon shape not round like yours... this is why my band clamp slips
Old 08-26-2010, 05:16 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

PasPar2...

You have the MkII cap which is not part of the orginal TSB... BUT, the DE tech rules do not seperate the difference.

You will have to place the clamp on and apply more clamping force (on your style) then use wire to tie it... if you desire.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Guys, the 996 oil cap rule s common to most if not all PCA regions. All of us have had problems with oil fill caps on the early 996 coming off. When that happens on track, oil does leak out. It can drip onto the headers and start a fire, but more often leak onto the track and ruin someone else's day.

It is a cheap and simple precaution which has been shown to work. In my region there have been no instances of a properly secured hose clamp falling off. The CVR wording also shows up on our tech form at www.rennsport.ca

Best,

CI - Rennsport PCA
Old 08-26-2010, 07:20 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Guys, the 996 oil cap rule s common to most if not all PCA regions. All of us have had problems with oil fill caps on the early 996 coming off. When that happens on track, oil does leak out. It can drip onto the headers and start a fire, but more often leak onto the track and ruin someone else's day.

It is a cheap and simple precaution which has been shown to work. In my region there have been no instances of a properly secured hose clamp falling off. The CVR wording also shows up on our tech form at www.rennsport.ca

Best,

CI - Rennsport PCA
I am not refuting the "Safety" ruling nor that it is on most Tech shts (ours included ~ as I wrote it) But, if you are taking the stance that this is the only plastic cap that can cause... OIL ON THE TRACK... Then again I am not in agreement. IF THIS IS THE CHEAP & SIMPLE solution then (by your logic) all cars installed with plastic oil fill caps "SHOULD BE SECURED BY A HOSE CLAMP".

Clearly, I have not expressed nor implied that anyone should not follow the tech procedures set forth.... only that the ROOT CAUSE of failure is typically more then a simple cap design issue!

Last edited by CWhaley; 08-26-2010 at 11:24 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 08-26-2010, 10:18 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Just curious, and love pointing out the silliness in some rules, so here it goes .......
Since it's just the yellow caps that cause the problems and are written into the rule, if you painted the cap black would you then not have to put on the clamp ? ? ?

Just having fun here, don't take it seriously. Just buy a new generation cap or install the clamp.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:00 PM
turbo911cm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

funny this topic came up. Just was at a DE last week with Chicago region and a guy in his 996 mk1 had oil leaking from the cap. We could not figure out why there was oil leaking, guess I just learned why.

Good news was they caught the oil leaking before he drove on track!
Old 08-26-2010, 11:18 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I have had to put the very same clamps on brake reservoir caps that have swelled slightly and leak. With just a little squeeze, they hold better than new ones.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:27 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by CWhaley
I am not refuting the "Safety" ruling nor that it is on most Tech shts (ours included ~ as I wrote it) But, if you are taking the stance that this is the only plastic cap that can cause... OIL ON THE TRACK... Then again I am not in agreement. IF THIS IS THE CHEAP & SIMPLE solution then (by your logic) all cars installed with plastic oil fill caps "SHOULD BE SECURED BY A HOSE CLAMP".

Clearly, I have not expressed nor implied that anyone should not follow the tech procedures set forth.... only that the ROOT CAUSE of failure is typically more then a simple cap design issue!
CW- the rule is in place because DE officials have had the problem. While you may wish to unearth the root cause, a 3 dollar hose clamp and a few minutes with a screw driver prevent the cap from falling off - and quite a few fell off which is why the rule exists. Not many dealers stock new oil filler caps. Any hardware store sells hose clamps.

The problem was confined to the early 996, the GT cars and turbos - with dry sumps did not have the problem, neither did the Boxsters.
So, I'm not sure why you seem to object to a simple solution to what was probably a design or manufacturing defect.

Experience has shown that these were the ONLY ones that fell off, so we're talking real world observations as opposed to theory.

Quick Reply: 996 cars only: Hose clamp must be installed around oil filler cap - ?!