Sponsored by:

Question about old Hoosiers

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gomez1
They are not GA hoosiers thankfully. Let's see how they work out. I'll keep them to practice laps and report back. If they suck I'll buy some trackside at Laguna.
J,

If you think are going to need tires as LS be sure to call Lynn at Topless Performance tomorrow so that he can have them there for you. He does not generally stock tires for sale, although he does at times have extras of certain sizes.

Cheers,
Old 08-15-2010, 10:32 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
If they are 5 years old they would most likely be R3's... and I would use them in a heartbeat!
I'll second Gary's comment. I just finished putting 25 HCs on old R3s that were stored inside. They were actually better than the 15 HC R6s that came off the car and although it took several laps to generate good grip they didn't fall off at all during 30 minute races.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 147 Posts

If not exposed to UV and cold temps, based on my experience with a set of Hoosier R3S04s that I had in a dark corner of my basement since 2005, they will be OK. My set still stick, not as well as fresh ones, but good for practice tires.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:40 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They have a date stamp on them. Week of the year and year.

+1 on old GACs I used to get a pickup bed full of take offs for the cost of one tire kind of cheap. They would sometimes last a weekend or more, sometimes not even a full day then fall off a cliff into pure grease.

Hijack question. as to the cold. All I have ever been able to find from manufacture notes regarding cold is not to run them from super cold. All the cautions I have found regarding storage and freezing were related to mounting or using them in that state. I might wel have missed something as well. Does the rubber change from a freeze cycle?
Old 08-16-2010, 02:33 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Ive been using 2005 to 07 toyos for a few years now, with no issues. I was amazed on how good the 05s were before they corded out. keep in mind, I run the 07 toyos and some very new hoosier A series too, and Im amazed how good the old junk still holds the road.
Hoosiers might be a little more sensitive, but if they have been stored in the dark and temps not to extreme, they should still be like brand new.
mk
Old 08-16-2010, 02:44 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set of R5 stickers I just mounted. I'll be damned if I'm going to throw them away. (Or give them away, Gary, Glen )

I bet they are better tires than I am driver. I will use them for enduros if stick is limited.

Quick Reply: Question about old Hoosiers